• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New igniton key, where?

drturbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Opel
Engine Size
2.9, 2.0 16v
Transmission
Automatic
I have finally located a 87 parts car for my own 87 Ranger.
This one is missing all keys, how can i get new keys? I'd hate to hotwire and break the ignition lock..( of course I dont know how to hotwire).

Rapid answers welcome!

Tommy

JoeCanada

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I had the same problem with an 88 I picked up awhile ago...fortunately in my case the cylinder was broken, so you could turn it without the key. Then it was a simple matter of depressing the pin and removing the key cylinder, and replacing it with a new one I found at the j-yard complete with keys.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
why not just use the lock cylinders and keys out of your current truck?

your local ford store can make any combination of lock cylinders, ignition tumblers, and key you want.

most lock smiths can make a key to make a given lock tumbler.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
If you can't find one with keys at the 'yard o' fun'? Only other choice would be to remove the cylinder and take it to a locksmith to be re-cored. If you go this route? I'd suggest asking the local ford garage which shop they can recommend. (Our local shop is quite helpful most of the time, and they gave me the contact number/name for a local locksmith they have had excellent luck with)

S-

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
Another option is go to your local Parts store and see if they can get a matched lock set. Doors & ignition all keyed the same. Just another option plus all parts will be new.

Hope ya solve the issue!

JoeCanada

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
On an 87 the doors and ignition would use different keys...

If your goal is not to break anything, you might try your luck with picking it, here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDUFT4UUp0I

Only use these powers for good!

drturbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Opel
Engine Size
2.9, 2.0 16v
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe picking the lock is a good idea. My friend runs a towtruck company, maybe he can do it....
I recon the steering wheel lock is engaged, so it will be hard to move the car with no steering.

drturbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Opel
Engine Size
2.9, 2.0 16v
Transmission
Automatic
Can a Ford dealership make/order a new key based on VIN/ chassis number alone??

Tommy

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
they won't do it on anything older than 97 i think. i don't remember exactly, but i tried to get a set for my 94 and ford told me no. I say get a locksmith to make you keys. probably charge you 150 to make both door and ignition. At least i think that's what they quoted me. the guy who sold me the truck finally found the keys though. haha.

IRKillroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Semper Fidelis
after you paid to get those new keys I would surmise.

My92Ranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Get on craigslist and search for a desperate locksmith in your area.. he will probably do it cheap.. just dont sleep afterwards cause he may accidentally make an extra copy that falls off his truck in front of a car theives house! LOL

drturbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Opel
Engine Size
2.9, 2.0 16v
Transmission
Automatic
I'm afraid Craigslist won't work here in Norway...

I dismantled most of the steering column today, but the wheel is still in place...tried to yank it of, but it won't move at all.

Will the cylinder come off/out when I get the steering wheel off?

Tommy

JoeCanada

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You don't need to remove the steering wheel to get the cylinder out. All you need to remove is the steering column cover.

I've never tried this myself, but I've been told that you can remove the cylinder by drilling out the black retention pin underneath it.

slycer2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
These are the instructions per Autozoo's How To guides they have online for replacing the ignition lock cylinder on an 87 Ranger. I'm not saying they're 100% accurate, I'm just passing along what I found:

To remove the ignition lock:

CAUTION
You must remove the steering wheel when replacing the ignition lock. On vehicles with a Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system, you must temporarily disable the SIR system and remove the inflator module when removing the steering wheel. Leaving the SIR system on could result in deployment of the air bag and possible personal injury.

* Disconnect the negative battery cable, and remove the steering wheel.
* Remove the bumper and the carrier snapring retainer from the steering shaft.
* Use a lock plate compressor screw tool to install the lock plate compressor screw in the upper steering shaft. To keep the shaft from telescoping, tighten it to 40 inch lbs.
* Using the lock plate compressor tool, install on the upper steering shaft, tighten it to depress the shaft lock. Remove the shaft lock retainer, the compressor tool and the steering shaft lock.
* Remove the turn signal canceling cam assembly. Put the turn signal switch in the "N" position and remove the upper bearing spring.
* Position the turn signal switch so the mounting screws can be removed through the holes in the switch and remove the turn signal lever.
* Remove the turn signal switch-to-steering column screws and lift the turn signal switch. Remove the wire protector and disconnect the turn signal switch connector.
* Use a terminal remover tool to disconnect the buzzer switch wires from the turn signal switch connector. Remove the buzzer switch assembly with needle-nose pliers.
* Place the lock cylinder in the ACC position, then remove the lock retaining screw and the lock cylinder set.
* To install the new cylinder lock, reverse the removal procedures.
* Tighten the lock retaining screw to 22 inch lbs., the turn signal switch screws to 59 inch lbs. and turn the turn signal lever screw to 53 inch lbs.
* As part of the final replacement procedures, check the operation of the switches and the steering column.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals