• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford Announces The Return of The Ranger in 2019 - TRS's 20TH Anniversary

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Some interesting comments from the link stmitch provided:

Only one frame length to keep cost down (any colour you want so long as it is black). Regular cab/short box moves into mini truck class for which CAFE has higher requirements, so that is non-starter.

No regular cab/long box - so it doesn't appeal to fleet buyers who would otherwise be buying F-150s.

No manuals - NA sales guys can't drive them, so can't sell them/doesn't fit the "family orientation" (Not sure why manual isn't family oriented - everyone old enough to drive in my family can row a standard and takes pride in doing it well). Canyon/Colorado only having them on 'base' 2wd so GMC can have a "starting from low 20's" price, bears this out. (Toyota is selling ~25% manuals locally in Tacoma).

Interesting that F-150 is getting diesel (to combat the RAM diesel) but Ranger one is on hold (late '19 or '20 introduction/cancellation depending on Chev/VW data).

Bronco (Everest) is more of Jeep Unlimited competitor than stmitch is giving credit - 2018 Wrangler is expected to have top permanently attached (Jeep enthusiasts are howling) as it lowers weight from not needing separate roll structure (2018 Wrangler is predicted to have 2 large removal panels to let air in/doors still removable, but hardtop would be permanent...)

Note - Ford Everest rolls on frame a 15" shorter than T-6 Ranger. And if you have a shorter frame on assembly line, a crew cab/short box (versus crew box) could be accommodated at next station without impacting number of vehicles on line (supposed that is concern for crew cab Jeep Wrangler pickup being assembled on same line as SUV - if you increase spacing for the longer truck, you impact overall production volume).

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
No manuals - NA sales guys can't drive them, so can't sell them/doesn't fit the "family orientation" (Not sure why manual isn't family oriented - everyone old enough to drive in my family can row a standard
Because we're becoming a country of people who don't want to do anything for themselves. LOL. Ford is planning to offer a driverless vehicle by 2020. How are we going to teach people to manually change gears?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Because we're becoming a country of people who don't want to do anything for themselves. LOL. Ford is planning to offer a driverless vehicle by 2020. How are we going to teach people to manually change gears?
All vehicles should be required to be manual transmission, manual steering, that'll keep people's hands off their damn cell phones, ipads, ipods, etc keeps them busy driving and paying attention.

donaldcon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As I read this while driving, a standard jeep with serious death wobble...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
All vehicles should be required to be manual transmission, manual steering, that'll keep people's hands off their damn cell phones, ipads, ipods, etc keeps them busy driving and paying attention.
No it will give them more to do in addition to their damn cell phones, ipads, ipods, etc.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
No it will give them more to do in addition to their damn cell phones, ipads, ipods, etc.
True, they'll think of some way I'm sure LOL.

Signal scrambler would fix the phone issues pretty quick. Should be required in all vehicles, absolutely no reason anybody should be playing on their phone, ipad, etc while driving.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
The only reason I would probably get another ranger is to tow the one I have around.

Ranger4x4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
God is great, beer is good, and rangers are awesome!
Wish they'd make it similar to the 2011 but with an ecoboost and updated interior, but I guess a bubbly f150 will have to do...

Sent from my SAMSUNG S7 using Crapatalk

paulnola

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Edg
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock
Picking up on where the previous closed thread discussion left off, I feel very lucky with my Ranger. I am the second owner and I think the original owner babied it. It was a south GA truck but has been in Atlanta since 2007. It is my DD. I can find no rust anywhere on the body. There are a few scratches here and there but nothing noticeable unless you are up close to it. The interior is in great shape, no rips, tears or cracks. No squeaks or rattles either. I am not a car detailing guy but generally it looks great.

I have had no non-maintenance issues until recently. I had a new remanufactured engine from Ford installed last week. The block on the original cracked at 169,700 miles. This was my fault because I had way too much water than antifreeze in the coolant since replacing the radiator last spring. Other than that, the powertrain ran excellently for being 12 years old.

For a fraction of the price of replacing the entire truck, I feel like I have an almost new Ranger again but has been paid off for several years. It is a truck that I can perform the maintenance and most repairs on, which we may or may not be able to do on the new one. Mine now has many years of new life ahead of it.

So no, I don't think I will be in the market for the new Ranger.

----------
Originally Posted by stmitch
You CAN go buy the vehicle you want, it's just not coming from your local dealer lot. When you describe what you want, you're describing several million vehicles that are already on the road, but you're choosing to complain because none of them are 'new' enough. You've said a few things that you don't want if you were to buy a new truck, but what would you want? What draws you to the idea of wanting a new truck at all vs just keeping the old truck that you like, and not worrying about the new stuff that doesn't scratch your itch?

--------------------
Posted by 85_Ranger4x4 on 12/22/16:

Rust and not having to work on it.

Just did front brakes, balljoints and front wheel bearings. Rear brakes still need done, hood shocks are weak, suspension shocks just started making noise and I need to pull the transfer case (which you can't really do without either removing the bed or disassembling the front suspension) and replace the input shaft seal. I have heard you can do it by wedging the t-case between the torsion bar crossmember and the bed and just change the seal with it still in the truck... I haven't opened that can of worms yet. One of the errors of my youth was putting dual exhaust on it, that needs redone again. I also need to remove most of the interior to reseal the back window.

And then the box is starting to go, bottom of the doors are starting to go and the cab corners are pretty much gone (but hidden so far by the doors so who cares) Fix that stuff on a dd and you are back to square one in 5 years, aftermarket steel doesn't take it near as well as factory... so you can't really "fix it"

It has been really good and has earned some lovin' and what it needs isn't really urgent or come close to rivaling a truck payment... but working on the dd is work. And since it doesn't fit in my garage I have to work around when work has an open bay for a weekend too.

I could/would go down south and try to find a better one just like it... but mechanically it would be a crapshoot if it is any better than what I have, aside from brakes and a seal there is nothing wrong with the powertrain. Rear window seals are a common problem... so it's back up three times and punt.

Build Thread

Last edited:

BillinVA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
What it would take to open my wallet

For me any new Ranger would need to have the following options available:

V-6 (and not tied to only the most expensive, pimped up version.)
4x4 with transfer case and AT
6' bed option with the crew cab. (If the surf rods cannot fit in the bed, no go! That means 5.5 feet minimum.)
Steel bed rails for a bolted-on cap

Availability of the above that is not in a high-tech wifi connected living room cab.

Price level commensurate with a Toyota Tacoma SR-5 or ~$34K.

If that is not in the card, I guess I will flog on the 1997 Ranger XLT with Supercab and 4X4, or buy a Toyota

FWIW, I see far more older Rangers (pre-1998) than any other small pickup, and used old Rangers still command a good price.

I looked at the new Honda Ridgeline and to get the ability to play music from a USB stick, you had to go to the top 2 models (both over $40K). Why? A Hyundai Accent has that feature.

:icon_thumby:

Reaction score
"We're monitoring sales of the Colorado's MT to see if we will offer it. However, it would be only available in 4x2."
In other words a big waste of time. Just another modern electronic filled, self driving, round, ugly, pos with no manual. oh wait, you can get a manual... in a 2wd!
2wd is useless! and I almost forgot... probably overpriced too.
pass :thefinger:

Last edited:

Elwood "C"

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
What it would take to open my wallet?

Well I'm about 40K short of a "half Mil" on the clock @ this writing :cool:. Original owner [wife], motor [2.9L] and Trans. Just got the 60/40 bench recovered. Discovered the first set of manual Warns have finally died and it's time for another muffler/T-pipe {Winter's finally lived-up to it's past legends here and the truck's paid the price:eek:}. Only thing that I'm challenged to keep runnin' is the damn A/C [R12 sys.]
That '90 4x4 XLT S/C "Lariat" trim pkg was one for the record book :icon_thumby:.

So I'd want fuel economy, Fuel Economy, Fuel E-C-O-N-O-M-Y. They have yet to build these trucks with a state-of-the-art HO 4 cyl. Double O/H Cam, Multi-valve, fuel injection with an intercooled turbo paired to 6 spd AT and dual range xfr. :icon_surprised: THAT would get my attention:icon_surprised: . Even this V-6 would perform better with a new age trans that offered something beyond the OD4.
But P-U-L-L-E-E-Z-Z :bawling: pay attention to where that damn Oil Filter ends up !! The 4x4's 3.0L 's location :annoyed: in relation to the exhaust & front axle were a TESTAMENT to EVERY NEGATIVE THING EVER MUTTERED about Ford engineers.

Like the rest of you I've got little use for the "living room" amenities. Tunes, A/C, V/S wipers, P/W & Mirrors [Heated], maybe some trick lighting and storage options. Bolt-on, plug-in towing options. Bring back that great cloth upholstery! Gimme' the TRUCK please, just GIMME' THE DAMNED TRUCK :clapping:.

My thanks to RANGER STATION for the e-mail notifications & "Heads-Up" re: the 2019 :icon_thumby:.

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Holy crap!! 500,000 miles? That's amazing!

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
FWIW, I work at Michigan Assembly plant and so far Im hearing 3.5v6,2.3 Eco and 3.2 diesel.

I think we are going to see Ford not talking a lot about the Bronco until after we launch the Ranger.They are going to want to keep all this early hype around the Ranger to ensure a successful launch. I bet we see Ford making a much bigger deal about the Bronco after the Ranger is rolling off dealer lots.

"JJ"

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
True. Ford says we can give you a bigger truck for the same money, but everyone doesn't want a big truck. Some people want something that they can easily load stuff in the back of, but still feel comfortable parking at the store and driving get in traffic.
:icon_thumby:
I was beginning to think I was the only one who DIDN'T want a bigger truck!

wooded two trck.jpg

I hunt out of my Ranger and while this photo is a stock photo off line, I drive down many small two tracks like this that my current Ranger brushes the limbs down the side. Anything larger and brushes become scrapes, creases or dents, or even worse I don't fit!
I predator hunt and a lot of my properties are cattle ranches. The ranch hands all drive big trucks or tractors and after a wet period the ruts get pretty nasty. Many times I can drop one side in the ruts and keep the other side on firm ground in between their tracks or squeeze a new trail around the deep ruts by going to the other side of a tree!
I started with a Frontier in the early late 80s, then went to a S10 in the early 90s and then I found and purchased a 97 Ranger. I currently am driving my 3rd Ranger, a 2010 Sport extra cab 4x4.
When I get all the miles out of it I would like to be able to buy another one.
I purchased a compact truck because I wanted and needed a compact truck!
I hope Ford gives me that option!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals