• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Corey and Elise's 1983 V8 Ranger build - aka - Project Interceptor

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
....i have used them.

i just dont remember the specific combos. they were on tk4's and then an eagle tk5.

the eagle had its own stuff though.

they needed tweeking/adustment via pushrod/washer shim but worked.

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162800
....i have used them.

i just dont remember the specific combos. they were on tk4's and then an eagle tk5.

the eagle had its own stuff though.

they needed tweeking/adustment via pushrod/washer shim but worked.
oh yeah i already know im going to be playing around with washers/shim and i have adjustable rods for both the master and slave.

i'm more asking about interms of functionality.
anyone have a metal dorman slave blow its guts out on them.
or have a metal dorman master leak.
or internals go bad prematurely, or anything like that.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
not the dorman....did not use the dorman brand...exedy, wagner and luk...

but...its possible they are the same part:D....bastards.

ya know....i am pretty sure they were for the s10 though. i tried getting ahold of people i did this with and when i do...i will post the actual combo and ect if possible.

one truck i ended up going to a built aod because these things are so shitty over 400 hp.

but a stick is WAAAY more fun.

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
not the dorman....did not use the dorman brand...exedy, wagner and luk...

but...its possible they are the same part:D....bastards.

ya know....i am pretty sure they were for the s10 though. i tried getting ahold of people i did this with and when i do...i will post the actual combo and ect if possible.

one truck i ended up going to a built aod because these things are so shitty over 400 hp.

but a stick is WAAAY more fun.
sweet.
many many thanks!

and yeah, its what happens when you put vehicle part combos together that were never actually intended to be a thing from the manufacturer.

my other mode of transportation is an 82 econoline converted to IFS 4x4. and just like this ranger, its all fun and games, until there's that one crossover part you need to make work that doesnt really pertain to either parent vehicle.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
thats funny.

my "last vehicle" was planned to be as a new as possible e350 converted via ttb with a cummins or duramax...and retire to the southwest.

but this new ranger took over. i like it...i really like it.

when i turn in the explorer i think i am getting a ranger....they still say they are not bringing a diesel, but i hope that changes.

i will still need a fullsize eventually...so ol red that i have had since 92 or so may be finally getting put in the ground at that point..

its hard to think of doing that...but plates and insurance on more then 3 vehicles is expensive.

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
thats funny.

my "last vehicle" was planned to be as a new as possible e350 converted via ttb with a cummins or duramax...and retire to the southwest.

but this new ranger took over. i like it...i really like it.

when i turn in the explorer i think i am getting a ranger....they still say they are not bringing a diesel, but i hope that changes.

i will still need a fullsize eventually...so ol red that i have had since 92 or so may be finally getting put in the ground at that point..

its hard to think of doing that...but plates and insurance on more then 3 vehicles is expensive.
vans are cool. 4x4 vans are like unicorns. people are mesmerized.
this little ranger gets allot of attention and questions, because it's loud, but i get hand written notes with phone numbers asking how much i'd sell it for under the wipers on my van in parking lots about twice a month.

i would have loved to 7.3 turbo swap my van. but it was already setup for a 351, and i've already dumped money into the c6 and stuff, so now i'm actually trying to wrap up major work on this ranger so i can finish a 408 stroker swap in the van. more of a direct , yank out, drop in, swap.

and yeah, new ranger would be sick. i've heard rumor they are bringing the broncos back as well, but i'm assuming thats going to be a shortened ranger with an enclosed back, similar to bronco ii idea.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
vans are cool. 4x4 vans are like unicorns. people are mesmerized.
this little ranger gets allot of attention and questions, because it's loud, but i get hand written notes with phone numbers asking how much i'd sell it for under the wipers on my van in parking lots about twice a month.

i would have loved to 7.3 turbo swap my van. but it was already setup for a 351, and i've already dumped money into the c6 and stuff, so now i'm actually trying to wrap up major work on this ranger so i can finish a 408 stroker swap in the van. more of a direct , yank out, drop in, swap.

and yeah, new ranger would be sick. i've heard rumor they are bringing the broncos back as well, but i'm assuming thats going to be a shortened ranger with an enclosed back, similar to bronco ii idea.

the bronco is not a rumor.

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
again many thanks for everyone's info/help with figuring out hydraulic clutch stuff.

i have it working now currently, getting full engagement and full disengagement out of the clutch i believe. although i think in the spring i might still try to change out the master cylinder for an aftermarket one.

what i discovered was going on was this.

i was running a 3/4" bore stock ford ranger master cylinder, and a 1" bore chevy camaro slave cylinder.

in order to disengage the clutch enough to shift, i had so much preload on clutch fork, that the clutch was actually slipping under heavy load.
it looks like this was because of the smaller master cylinder to larger slave cylinder ratio.

what i did was order a dorman 7/8" bore ranger master cylinder, and a dorman 7/8" bore ranger slave cylinder.

they showed up and to my surprise were heavy duty metal castings. unlike the plastic ranger ones i have seen and used in the past.

i then custom threaded the rods for both the slave and master, so as to make them adjustable.

i used chevy camaro braided stainless lines and fittings, as those are the right length for my application, and seem to work well, and i bench bled the system.
i've done this like.... 5 times now, and have gotten really pretty damn good at bench bleading these things.

at this point i took the other setup off the truck.
i've had a few people ask me how im running a push type slave in this direction.
its a custom heavy steel bracket for the slave that bolts to the front of the bell housing. its using an 83 ranger style clutch fork. or a chevy clutch fork? i think its a ranger clutch fork. im not really sure. anyway, the pivot ball is on the drivers side.
this is what it looks like without the slave in there.

and then this is what it looks like with the slave re-installed

so with this setup, i currently have the clutch pedal adjusted pretty damn high.
i get disengagement/engagement pretty close to the floor, so i don't really want to adjust it lower, because i don't think i'll get full disengagement.
clutch pedal sits about 2" higher than the brake pedal.

so i mean, it's not ideal, but it does work.

i'm thinking it's good enough for the rest of this season, put her away for the winter, and come the spring i'll purchase a Wilwood or Tilton aftermarket Master with a 1" bore and the angle bracket to make it fit the ranger, and swap the master out then.

that little bit of extra bore, should allow me to adjust the pedal down a little bit for less throw of the pedal, but still push the slave the same distance.
in doing so it will also make the pedal stiffer, i know.

again, many many thanks everyone for the help.
i'm glad im not just shooting in the dark now.

- corey

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
and to note the other variables.

clutch fork

adjustable pivot balls.

the s10 setup can work well.

but the variables in exhaust, engine used and engine placement all factor in.

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
and to note the other variables.

clutch fork

adjustable pivot balls.

the s10 setup can work well.

but the variables in exhaust, engine used and engine placement all factor in.

Yeah, I feel like with all the variables possible I just need to/ needed to pick one or two and work with those to make it work. Cause you are right, I could be playing with the fork and pivot ball adjustments too, but I'd need to drop the bell housing every time I had to make an adjustment. Vs swapping out the external slave and master.
Looking at pictures of people's adjustable pivot balls, this one is pretty right in the middle height wise. Not super low, not super high.
But yeah, like I said, I've got the engagement/disengagement now, I'd just like to put in a bigger bore master so the pedal travel doesn't need to be as long.
Never ending project.

CUracing

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I applaud your effort on this build. Most people wouldn't have even given this poor ranger a second chance. Back in the mid 90's when I did my first 5.0 swap on a 2wd ranger I used a hydraulic throw out bearing from Tilton I believe it was on my t5 with the stock master cylinder from the 85 ranger.

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I applaud your effort on this build. Most people wouldn't have even given this poor ranger a second chance. Back in the mid 90's when I did my first 5.0 swap on a 2wd ranger I used a hydraulic throw out bearing from Tilton I believe it was on my t5 with the stock master cylinder from the 85 ranger.
many thanks.
yeah i love these boxy first generation rangers. i saw a v8 swapped one pull up beside me at a redlight when i was 16 or so, matte gray, loud as hell, slick as can be, with a guy that looked like santa clause behind the wheel, and i've wanted one ever since.

here in Massachusetts THIS was good condition for base to build off of.
plus, it fit me and the girl's budget.

and yeah, i'm actually going to be buying a tilton master cylinder with a larger bore i think to shorten my pedal throw

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
long time no post.

truck is out of its winter slumber and tearing around town again.
the new transmission is working out great. i ended up buying a larger bore tilton master cylinder with a universal adjustable plate to make it work on our firewalls, but i havent taken the time to install it yet. just enjoying the truck for now... even with the really long clutch pedal throw.

before it went away for the winter i finished making a new set of directionals for the truck.
i'm yet to be able to find a pair of Clear front directionals, and have kind of given up hope at this point, so i made my own.
i took a pair of stock ranger directionals, cut the faces off them, painted the body's black, then attached clear front faces off another set of lights, and painted the outer edges black.
they don't look horrible, and kind of look like they match the front headlights i have going

i also finished up the fenders i was working on.

i shaved the interior metal tabs for the lights and the emblems, then i filled them in with sheetmetal, used a little bit of body filler to smooth them out, primed sanded and painted. they came out pretty decent looking. would never know there is supposed to be a light there.

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
hey guys, side note, i posted this in the classified area as well,
if anyone wants the gas tank that was in this ranger when i bought it, please, take it for free. i'm going to end up throwing it out.

it is a PLASTIC 17 gallon tank, with high pressure (about 45 psi) electric pump, fuel level sender, pig tails, and mounting straps.
it was in my 1983 ranger running a 1991 mustang gt 5.0 v8.
i know that the 83 ranger would have originally had a metal tank, and had a mechanical fuel pump.
my specific ranger originally had the 59hp diesel engine in it, so i don't know if the diesels may have originally had electric pumps and plastic tanks? or this could have technically been out of a latter model truck.
it fit up in there perfectly like it was stock... so.... i'm not sure.

regardless,
it doesnt leak, no gouges, just dirty. oh, and its FREE

located in weymouth.
come grab it before it ends up in a dumpster.

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
figured i'd pose this question here and see if anyone knows.

looking for a pair of upgrade rear axles for a 2009 FX4 LVLII 8.8 31 spline axle.

having a hard time finding anyone who caries ANY type of replacement axles for these rear ends.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals