• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2019 Ford Ranger: Unconfirmed Reader Image Shows over 21 MPG Highway Average

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
On a recent road trip to MS from IA (about 1000 miles) plus a day of bopping around Hattiesburg, I got 18 mpg with my 2013 Ram Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi......if 21 mpg is the avg, I, for one, am not impressed at all.....pretty pathetic for a 4-banger. Highway needs to be at least 27+, especially with a 10-speed tranny. They should really start getting their highway MPG at 65 mph, since most highways are 65 and interstates are 70-80 mph for a more realistic average.

I believe the Explorer with the same engine is rated for 26 mpg. I don’t think any of the precious Rangers were rated for anything more than 27 with a four banger and typically, people don’t see those numbers in the real world. I know I haven’t come close with either of my Rangers. I would not be surprised if Ford is still basing their mpg numbers off of perfect conditions that the average driver almost never sees. Plus, the new Ranger is a bigger and heavier vehicle. I wouldn’t be surprised if the average driver would see something in the neighborhood of 24 mpg out of the truck.

Like others have stated, the Rangers that are available are being run through their paces or being demoed in parking lots with mounds of dirt. Not exactly ideal conditions for the best fuel mileage results.

Plus, if people are buying trucks and expecting fuel economy numbers like one would see in a car or crossover, they are really setting themselves up for failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 157" F150 with 3.5TT can get 21 mpg so I am not impressed with that number.
I asked my brother about that at noon.

A month ago his '14 Tremor was getting 16-17mpg at interstate speeds (80mph+) on E10 going to Wyoming via I80.

It has 4.10 gears which few Ecoboost trucks have but is also lighter than most pre 2015 EB trucks... not sure how that works out in the wash.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
The '14 3.5TT has never got as good MPG as the 10 speeds. A few mods have also been done to the engines since 2014.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
F-150 Ecoboosts can't run E85.

My F-150 doesn't care (17mpg @ 70mph on straight or E10) but it has a lot less going on than a more modern engine.

I90 in South Dakota has an 80mph speed limit, I couldn't afford to feed anything in my fleet at that speed. My Ranger only would be 5mph from pegging the speedometer. :annoyed:

Switching from straight gas at 75mph to E10 premium at 85mph is a significant hit to my brother's '11 Mustang GT. Like 27mpg to 22mpg.

And that is all open country running, only city driving is getting to a gas station.

mmmmm. some of the first tunes were to get e85 into these. the injectors and hpfp were the potential bummers if you were not on. i dont know if the 150 has it stock yet.:icon_confused:

some time back livernois actually put out a system with a hpfp and tune just for the 15 and up 150.

our edge eco was ffv...or had a yellow cap....i wouldnt let my ol lady put that shit in it......the explorer is too. but i have relented to letting her use corn juice in that pig. its a wallet gobblin bastage

i bet that ranger was in triple digits for good stretches of road on that run..

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The '14 3.5TT has never got as good MPG as the 10 speeds. A few mods have also been done to the engines since 2014.
He gets low 20’s at 60. The high speed stuff is a killer for a truck though.

mmmmm. some of the first tunes were to get e85 into these. the injectors and hpfp were the potential bummers if you were not on. i dont know if the 150 has it stock yet.:icon_confused:

some time back livernois actually put out a system with a hpfp and tune just for the 15 and up 150.

our edge eco was ffv...or had a yellow cap....i wouldnt let my ol lady put that shit in it......the explorer is too. but i have relented to letting her use corn juice in that pig. its a wallet gobblin bastage

i bet that ranger was in triple digits for good stretches of road on that run..
I don’t think F-150 EB’s can run E85 out of the box yet.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
One thing to keep in mind with E85 that at least a few people don’t know. Your fuel mileage is going to drop like a rock since there is less energy in ethanol than gasoline. So, the fuel system has to open up to compensate. Sure the fuel is cheaper because the government subsidizes it but your fuel bill is still going to be higher and you will need to fuel up more.

Me personally, I can’t see the logic in converting food into fuel. It less environmentally friendly, even if it is a renewable source. And it is harder on the engine and fuel system, not to mention your wallet. Heck, if I could get straight gas easily and without paying through the nose for it, I would. The fuel mileage and get up and go increase is noticeable. Maybe not earth shattering but it is noticeable.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
One thing to keep in mind with E85 that at least a few people don’t know. Your fuel mileage is going to drop like a rock since there is less energy in ethanol than gasoline. So, the fuel system has to open up to compensate. Sure the fuel is cheaper because the government subsidizes it but your fuel bill is still going to be higher and you will need to fuel up more.

Me personally, I can see the logic in converting food into fuel. It less environmentally friendly, even if it is a renewable source. And it is harder on the engine and fuel system, not to mention your wallet. Heck, if I could get straight gas easily and without paying through the nose for it, I would. The fuel mileage and get up and go increase is noticeable. Maybe not earth shattering but it is noticeable.

I know.

Farmers (who grow corn) come in my parts room and BS about trucks. More than once it comes up that they would like an EB but want to run E85. So they are stuck with a Coyote or a GM.

I run E10 because it is cheaper and my injected F-150 doesn't really notice the difference.

Anything I own with a carb (Ranger, weedhacker, mower and 4 tractors) gets straight gas.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Theoretically, the 1st Window sticker with mileage numbers on it (from the Ranger5g site) - 21 City/26 Hiway/23 Combined.

Attachments

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Theoretically, the 1st Window sticker with mileage numbers on it (from the Ranger5g site) - 21 City/26 Hiway/23 Combined.

Picture doesn’t show on my phone. What you are saying does go along with the guessing/conjecture of the mileage being similar to the Explorer with the same engine.

It will be interesting what the real world numbers will be. My 2011 XLT, 4X4, manual is supposed to get 23 highway. I have gotten close but never hit that number a couple of times. I average about 18.5 on maybe 15/85 city/highway driving and I think the best I ever saw was 22.8 on a trip. Ford typically falls short of their published numbers.

With my soon to be retired 1999 Honda CR-V AWD, I come close to the published 24 mpg it’s supposed to get with the same driving as the truck and blew past that a couple times when the planets arranged just right, even with winter tires installed.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I'm sitting on the numbers. I have a Ford press release dated for 12/11/2018 to 'officially' release the MPG ratings.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Breaking News: How Does the 2019 Ford Ranger MPG Compare to the Competition?

MPG Comparison between the different makes of mid-size trucks. Nothing ground breaking on what we have been talking about concerning the Ranger itself but it's nice to see how it stacks up against the competition. They, like me, are waiting to see what the real world numbers will be compared to what Ford says it should get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL5Rl1dKCXM&ytbChannel=null

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals