• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wiring Guru's....SPDT w/ LED wiring....

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Alright, I have a SPDT (on-off-on) switch with 2 LED's in it to wire up some lights. It has 3 prongs on 1/2 the back and 4 prongs on the other half. I need a wiring diagram helping me wire this sucker up.....Anyone wanna help?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
There's a little more to this if you're looking at 7 prongs total. The "single pole double throw" (SPDT) part would account for 3 terminals only at the most, likely the 3 by themselves. Do you have any idea what this switch was originally used for? Maybe get some pics up of the switch?

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
it is a Contra switch. There was no "use" for it. It is sold as a SPDT switch.

This is what I am thinking...

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I think that you're on the right track, as far as wiring the load (i.e., the lights; make sure the switch rating will handle them). This part would the 3 terminals, wired as in your drawing.*

What I'm thinking is that 2 LED lights in the switch are not bussed internally; but rather they're externally wired which accounts for the other 4 terminals.

You can try wiring it like in your diagram, and if the switch works, but doesn't light up, then you're looking at the 4 terminals needing to be wired for the LED lights. Hopefully, the LEDs already have resistors on them inside the switch. Otherwise, they'll need 5 volts instead of 12 volts.

Have you tried Googling "Contra switch" to see if you can find instructions for it? Good luck.

* Edit: there could be more than one possible wiring configuration, depending on the switch design. For example, the center pin could be common to the outer pins, depending on the switch position. In this case you'd have one power in, and only one power out to turn the lights on and off.

Last edited:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
When in doubt, grab your trusty ohmmeter and see what gets connected to what as you throw the switch into each position.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i am going to check that when I get home!

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
got curious so i grabbed my volt/ohm meter out of my work truck.....that wiring diagram I have above is correct. I have to make sure I put the correct middle with the same top and bottom of the same side. They do not cross connect.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals