• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bad Starter? Or something else???

jsmith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I went to start my truck and it wouldn't turn over. I could hear the starter spinning but didn't sound like it was engaging the flywheel. I tried turning the key a few more times and it would alternate between spinning the starter and just clicking like the circuit opened but the starter didn't power on and spin.

I yank the starter and get it tested, by two different places. First place said it was good, second place didn't have a tester but hooked it up to jumper cables and said it was bad.

I don't think it's the firewall mounted relay cause every other time the starter spun. I'm going to look at the flywheel teeth as soon as I get someone to turn the engine while I look at it but I doubt it's the ring gear because every other time I just got a click.

Any ideas? I mean, sounds like a starter to me but the Schucks guy said it tested good. Am I missing something?
Thanks in advance.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it only clicks... BATTERY! Perhaps the battery cables are dirty? Perhaps the solenoid isn't passing enough volts? Perhaps the starter motor is good and the starter BENDIX isn't throwing out the starter gear?
Big JIm

jsmith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Jim. I decided to try the solenoid. Since I didn't have a way of testing it and its only $16 I just thought I'd go for it.

I have this problem of overlooking details. I didn't pay attention to which wires were coming off of which posts on the solenoid. I had the + battery terminal hooked to the positive side and the other three wires hooked to the outgoing side. Of course I had the small red wire shooting off the post coming off the front of the solenoid.

I went to start the truck and got nothing. No power to anything.

So just to make sure I put the old solenoid back in the same way I had the new one in. Same result; nothing.

So now I ask which way the wires are supposed to come off the solenoid, because I obviously have it wrong. Ugh...

jsmith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Heres some images of how I had it:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
You have it wired right, the S on it is for the starter wire. Another thing to consider is at you may have a clutch switch in your truck, my dads has one and won't allow him to start ot unless he is pushing the clutch in.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The Smaller wires that go into the big posts have to go onto the same side as the battery connector. To answer you original question, if the starter is turning and the motor is not, the bendix is bad and needs replacing. cheap easy fix.

jsmith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I do have a clutch switch. But thats not the issue, I'm not getting dash lights or the door buzzer or anything.

Martin are you talking about the orange and red wires on the right post? They need to be moved to the positive post?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
The ignition wires go to the battery side of the solenoid and is the battery fully charged and the terminals clean. Clean all the grounds good sand them metal to metal and put the starter back in it make sure the connector is clean and tite. If you still have the same problem probably the starter or the bendix and it has been my experience to just change the starter unless you want to get back under the truck again who knows where when it fails again.

jsmith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The connections was the first thing I checked, they're all good.

I'm going to assume the ignition wires are the red ones. Ill switch them and hope for the best.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The two fusible links go to the hot (battery side) of the solinoid.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
The battery cable in the second pic looks like it got pretty hot couldnt hurt to put new cables on it either. If the wire has alot of resistance it can cause the starter to act funny. If you see it smoke or if it gets hot change it.

jsmith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok thanks for the replies guys. I haven't had time to do more troubleshooting but I am going to go ahead and replace the ignition wiring now.

Question is, whats with the two fusible links? Can I just use regular wire? The orange wire is pretty burnt up and will be the first to go. Not sure what exactly it runs to but I'll cut out the bad part and solder on a new section and connector.

jsmith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I probly shouldve asked this before. Does anyone have the ignition wiring schematic they could post up? It'd be helpful.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The fusible link is to protect the circuit from burning the wires down stream. It is rare when they go bad, but they do if over-loaded. If it is burnt out, it will cause the problems you describe with the lights and other electrical things = no power to them.
Bad batter cables - either negative or positive - can cause starter problems. They will get very hot when trying to start if the connections are bad.

As for the solenoid; it is basically a heavy-duty switch. The battery feeds in one side and the starter is fed out the other. Therefore, the starter cable should be the only one on that side. On mine, the battery goes in on the left, the starter is fed from the right. That wire that attaches to the "S" post trips the solenoid which engages the contacts for the starter power.

jsmith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The fusible link is to protect the circuit from burning the wires down stream. It is rare when they go bad, but they do if over-loaded. If it is burnt out, it will cause the problems you describe with the lights and other electrical things = no power to them.
So when replaced it does have to be with another fusible link?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals