Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Engine & Transmission Forums > Engine Conversions > V-8 Conversion Forums

Notices

Old 12-06-2015, 06:47 PM   #1
mikewashere

mikewashere is on a distinguished road
Default retaining emissions

Hi guys,

Just joined the forum today really excited and looking forward to doing a 5.0 swap in a 97 or older ranger using the explorer as a donor. I want to do the 5spd trans, rwd.

From what I read you can use the mustang t5 trans but I'm not seeing much in depth info on how that would go together using the explorer motor into a ranger? does it the trans bolt up to that motor and just use the mustang drive shaft/rear end??

Also my other concern before getting into this is I'm in Ontario, Canada I want to retain all the emissions are there any links to info on how to keep all that/diagrams, etc? I'm not sure if I'm missing these things in search this forum seems to be jammed pack with info I must be missing it!

Sorry for all the stupid questions I hope to have a build up real soon. ANY help is appreciated, like I said before I am extremely eager to get started on the swap!
mikewashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Discount Code: 01783FE29A6986 Expires: December 30, 2018
Old 12-10-2015, 08:39 PM   #2
SenorNoob

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver / Road Terrorizer
SenorNoob is just really niceSenorNoob is just really niceSenorNoob is just really niceSenorNoob is just really nice

Depending on how strict your emissions tests are, it may be impossible to have a 5.0 5spd pass. The manual wasn't an option on the 5.0 Explorer...

My Baby
SenorNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:09 PM   #3
mikewashere

If I were to use a 94-97 explorer as a donor for a 5.0 swap into a 94-97 ranger what necessary components would be needed to retain working emissions equipment? As these vehicles get newer and newer they tend to add more things to the emissions system then they had in the mid 90s.

I'm aware that the explorer never came 5spd, I just want to get down what exactly it is I'll need to do this swap with a 5spd. That's about the only thing I haven't got a whole lot of info on.

I've been keeping notes and tabs on all sort of this useful info so when it comes time I know where to start.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2015, 10:53 PM   #4
RonD

Vehicle Year: 1994
RonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant future

Explorers got V8's in 1996, manual trans was an option but they are had to find, stock was automatic.
1996/1997 are the best years to use since the computer for the V8 won't have PATS(passive anti-theft system), PATS adds a layer of work, since you need to have PATS components installed and working or computer won't start fuel injectors, so "no go".
Explorer V8 computer will also want to "see" an automatic transmission if that's what it came with, another complication, truck will run but CEL(check engine light) will be on all the time, and that's a no-no for emissions test.
There are computer programmers that can remove the PATS check and automatic trans software, but it is an added cost.
No I don't know any, they can be found on line, it is not illegal.

Most emission are based on the year of the vehicle, and some state that if an engine is swapped out it must be from a newer vehicle and emission standards for that year will now apply to the older vehicle.

You need to check local laws to get specific information, before you start.

Most manual transmissions don't have detachable bell housings any more, that means any manual transmission you use must be from a vehicle that had/has a 302(5.0l) V8, if that's the engine you use.
The V8 manual trans Ford used for V8s was the M5OD-R2, Ranger had the M5OD-R1, not quite as beefy as the R2.
The pre-1996 R2 transmissions had the shifter a bit forward of Ranger location but can be used

In 1997 Ford dropped the 302(5.0l) in F-series trucks and started using modular V8s, they are too wide for Rangers and Explorers.
They also started using the 4.2l V6 in '97, 4.2l V6 uses Windsor Small block bolt pattern...........same as 302(5.0L), and used the R2 trans for this V6
And the shifter is a little farther back, closer to rangers location.

Last edited by RonD; 12-10-2015 at 11:08 PM.
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:25 AM   #5
Jbrown1238

Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Cobra
I use this vehicle for: Work
My credo: None
Jbrown1238 will become famous soon enough

I did a 5.0 Explorer swap with a T5 5 speed in my 99 Ranger. I retained all of the emissions equipment except for the cats. There are a few obstacles as mentioned but nothing difficult. PATS, computer codes, etc. When it comes down to it all you are doing is merging some stuff from an Explorer, some stuff from a Ranger, and some stuff from a Mustang. You can check out my thread for more info.

http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...ad.php?t=93941
Jbrown1238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:45 PM   #6
mikewashere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrown1238 View Post
I did a 5.0 Explorer swap with a T5 5 speed in my 99 Ranger. I retained all of the emissions equipment except for the cats. There are a few obstacles as mentioned but nothing difficult. PATS, computer codes, etc. When it comes down to it all you are doing is merging some stuff from an Explorer, some stuff from a Ranger, and some stuff from a Mustang. You can check out my thread for more info.

http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...ad.php?t=93941
WOW

Your build is extremely inspirational to not only myself but the many viewers on this forum apparently this is living proof that if you want it bad enough you can make it happen.

Amazing work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonD View Post
Explorers got V8's in 1996, manual trans was an option but they are had to find, stock was automatic.
1996/1997 are the best years to use since the computer for the V8 won't have PATS(passive anti-theft system), PATS adds a layer of work, since you need to have PATS components installed and working or computer won't start fuel injectors, so "no go".
Explorer V8 computer will also want to "see" an automatic transmission if that's what it came with, another complication, truck will run but CEL(check engine light) will be on all the time, and that's a no-no for emissions test.
There are computer programmers that can remove the PATS check and automatic trans software, but it is an added cost.
No I don't know any, they can be found on line, it is not illegal.

Most emission are based on the year of the vehicle, and some state that if an engine is swapped out it must be from a newer vehicle and emission standards for that year will now apply to the older vehicle.

You need to check local laws to get specific information, before you start.

Most manual transmissions don't have detachable bell housings any more, that means any manual transmission you use must be from a vehicle that had/has a 302(5.0l) V8, if that's the engine you use.
The V8 manual trans Ford used for V8s was the M5OD-R2, Ranger had the M5OD-R1, not quite as beefy as the R2.
The pre-1996 R2 transmissions had the shifter a bit forward of Ranger location but can be used

In 1997 Ford dropped the 302(5.0l) in F-series trucks and started using modular V8s, they are too wide for Rangers and Explorers.
They also started using the 4.2l V6 in '97, 4.2l V6 uses Windsor Small block bolt pattern...........same as 302(5.0L), and used the R2 trans for this V6
And the shifter is a little farther back, closer to rangers location.
Thank you for your post! Very informative. I plan to use 96-97 ranger and explorer for the build. If I get any 5spd trans for a 5.0 pre 96 it should bolt right up to the 302 and fit in the cab?

I think the odds of me finding an explorer 5.0 with a 5spd is slim to none here so I would need it to pass emissions regulations while still having the 5.0 swap.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:49 PM   #7
mikewashere

I guess my first question regarding emissions standards would be just to comply with the regulations based on that of a 96-97 explorer 5.0 and retain whatever emissions equipment that vehicles uses.

Moving on; does a thread exist with info stating everything or almost everything needed to do the 96-97 5.0 swap + 5spd in a 96-97 2wd ranger? I've found lots of info but still lots of questions.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:55 PM   #8
RonD

Vehicle Year: 1994
RonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant future

Up at the top of each page just below the main banner there is a link bar

Starts on the left with HOME then "Ford Ranger Forum" then "Tech Articles"

Click on Tech Articles

Loads of Ranger info there
Also a "conversion" page, here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...versions.shtml
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:11 PM   #9
Diesel Mechanic

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
Diesel Mechanic is on a distinguished road

I have been doing a lot of research on retaining emissions on a v8 swap. I have a 2000 2wd 4l i plan on swapping to a 2wd v8. I to am in Ontario. Here's how the ontario law works for emissions. As soon as you drop a motor into a chassis it was not built with (displacement, # of cylinders) your vehicle has to be registered into a hotrod class. Hot rod emissions are simple, you have to meet the on board emission requirements of the engine and chassis. Simply put, you have to make all emission systems either vehicle was made with work on your ride. Then you have to meet the parts per million pollution output that your original chassis had. All of this is not that hard to complete. If either truck had evap, cats, egr, electronic fuel injection, crank case breather, and etc make it function in some way on the truck. Basically, if you get a similar year engine to run in the truck with no codes, you're probably good with the emissions. please refer to the link below.

http://www.ontario.ca/faq/do-hot-rod...ive-clean-test

Last edited by Diesel Mechanic; 01-11-2016 at 03:19 PM.
Diesel Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:08 PM   #10
Jbrown1238

Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Cobra
I use this vehicle for: Work
My credo: None
Jbrown1238 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Mechanic View Post
I have been doing a lot of research on retaining emissions on a v8 swap. I have a 2000 2wd 4l i plan on swapping to a 2wd v8. I to am in Ontario. Here's how the ontario law works for emissions. As soon as you drop a motor into a chassis it was not built with (displacement, # of cylinders) your vehicle has to be registered into a hotrod class. Hot rod emissions are simple, you have to meet the on board emission requirements of the engine and chassis. Simply put, you have to make all emission systems either vehicle was made with work on your ride. Then you have to meet the parts per million pollution output that your original chassis had. All of this is not that hard to complete. If either truck had evap, cats, egr, electronic fuel injection, crank case breather, and etc make it function in some way on the truck. Basically, if you get a similar year engine to run in the truck with no codes, you're probably good with the emissions. please refer to the link below.

http://www.ontario.ca/faq/do-hot-rod...ive-clean-test
I posted above with information regarding my current Ranger. I forgot to mention that I had a 1993 Ranger with a 1995 (5.0 Mustang GT) crate engine from Ford. It had a T5 five speed and retained all emissions equipment including cats. At the time in 1997 it passed Florida vehicle emissions testing without any issue. Several years later Florida discontinued vehicle emission testing. I didn't attempt to apply for any consideration with the 1993 Ranger, I simply pulled into line and went through the testing process. Sometimes it is easier to ask for forgiveness rather then to ask for permission. In my case I didn't have to ask for either one.
Jbrown1238 is offline   Reply With Quote