• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

turbo diesel

chucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
2.3 turbo diesel
Transmission
Manual
hi,how many rangers with the mitsubishi turbo diesel were made 1985`87 and how many were 4x4`s. does anyone know these numbers or where to find these numbers. thanks chuck

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
12 were made, 2 had 4WD...............lol, just kidding..........there were really 16 made

Last post I found asking about Ranger production numbers and referencing the 2.3 L turbo-diesel was back in 2001, and no one had those numbers then or a place to get them.
I am sure the numbers exist, VIN has it but while you can look up a VIN I don't think there is a filter to do it the other way, i.e. see how many VINs start with:
1FTDR11EF
1 = Made in USA
F - Ford
T = Truck
D = gross weight
"R11" or "R15" = Ranger 4x4 and 4x4 supercab
"E" 2.3l turbo-diesel, (E is 4.0l SOHC now)
"F"or "G"or "H" Model Year '85, '86, '87

Last edited:

tempforce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
there's a place in phoenix, az. with all of the factory stats. as ford cleared out all records pertaining to vehicles over 20 years old. sorry, i don't remember the name of the company...

Beej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
"When you need it, and don't have it, you sing a whole 'nother tune." -Burt Gummer
I've heard of some people dropping 4D55's into their Rangers - from what I've heard it's a bolt-on fit with the MO5D.

Now wouldn't that be a fun project? Find a dual-tank 4x4 Ranger, preferably a supercab for that extra reclining space, drop in an MO5D and a 4D55. And just for shits and giggles, throw a 20-gallon cell in the bed. Call it the Super Cruiser Project. :icon_thumby:

longbedGTs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2,496 in '86. Not sure about the other years. Just got a Marti report(which tempforce mentioned). Thought it was interesting that so many were sold, which makes the '86 Ranger Diesel more rare than an '88 Ranger GT.

Last edited:

LeftHander

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger SC
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
tempforce:

Mazda had that 2.2L N/A Perkins diesel in their US pickups in '83-'84. Longbed in '83, short in '84. All of them had a 5spd trans, but the gears were not all the same as the gas trucks. Rear gears were lower, maybe 4.11 or 4.56?

My '83 got 34 MPG in mixed commuter driving.
Best was 42 MPG cruising from Sunnyvale to Willow Springs Raceway @~60mph, just me and one Open Twins racebike. At this pace, I could do the entire trip on one tank of fuel, about 720 miles, IIRC. Mostly on I-5.

Worst mileage was 28 MPG, to the same destination, but run @80-85mph. (85 was max, it sounded like a sewing machine on steroids. 80 was more comfortable sounding) This was with two of us with two bikes, one on a little bitty trailer. Couple times going downhill, it was faster in neutral.
We got a really late start, so I was pushing hard.

Most of the 2.2 Rangers only had a 4spd, and they weighed more than the Mazda, so fuel mileage was not as good. I don't think I got more than 28-30mpg in the couple Rangers I had.

Ford really screwed up by using the Mitsubishi Turbo diesel. That was a very light duty engine, and a bit delicate. They would have been a lot better off if they had put a turbo on the Perkins engine. That is a true industrial engine. I had a diesel big rig repair shop take one apart, and they were impressed. They expected it to go 250k before needing a valve job, and 500k before a rebuild. Said it was built exactly like a big rig engine, with press-in cylinder liners, and other details.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals