• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Battery gauge issue and stalling issues

1991fordrangerKobe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys I have a 1991 ranger with a 3.0 v6 5 speed manual and my battery gauge has completely stopped working and I am not sure where to began to look to fix it. Also my truck continues to stall out and die consistently and im not sure if thats because the battery is dead or the alternator is bad. I replaced both the battery and alternator a couple month ago so im unsure if maybe the alternator was put in wrong. Please help

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would start with the basics like making sure the cables and terminals are clean and free of corrosion. Check the ground cable where it is grounded to the chassis to make sure it is grounded properly. Some of those 90's models that I've seen had bad ground cables in them. Next we need more information about when you are having these issues. Is it as soon as you start it? after driving it for a while? What's it do when it stalls? are you driving when it stalls? are you at a stop when it stalls? does it start back up right away after it stalls? Information is key if you want correct answers. Have you check your fuel pressure? checked your air filter? Definitely need more info than what you gave to be able to diag better.

1991fordrangerKobe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It specifically stalls while driving and while at idle and I will have to restart the truck every single time. It does start back up normally after a time or two of trying to start it. My battery light comes on when it stalls and dies but its a new battery and I am getting plenty of voltage from my battery and it has a new alternator in it not even 5 months ago. These issues only started to happen about 8 months ago then stopped for about a month when I put a new battery and alternator and fuel pump and filter and also brand new air filter in it and now it happens consistently while driving but it does it at random.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You say "new" like it means something

30 years ago New meant tested and working so meant something

New now means YOU TEST IT, and we will replace it if it fails

So test the system

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You say "new" like it means something

30 years ago New meant tested and working so meant something

New now means YOU TEST IT, and we will replace it if it fails

So test the system
I agree. Just because the part is new doesn't mean its working as designed. I had a ETC sensor go bad after a week or two. Batteries aren't as good as what they used to be. At our dealership we used to have maybe one battery go bad a year and now it seems like 5-6 batteries a year. I would definitely check the voltage off and running. When it stalled and the battery light came on that (for me) has been a bad alternator. Especially since you can normally start it back up. My stratus did that one night.... dim head lights, trying to get home from work, car stalls, wait a few minutes and starts back up then I can drive another few miles and it stalls again (battery light on), starts back up goes another few miles, finally got it home, replace alternator and good to go.

1991fordrangerKobe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My voltage from by battery reads normal when the truck is off and on, also same with my alternator. My lights don't dim or anything like that when it stalls. Truck simple turns off when it stalls.

I have tested multiple things and everything reads normal. The truck would do this when I had a bad fuel pump but that was replaced a month ago and my fuel pressure is perfect for where it should be.

Last edited:

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Have you replaced your fuel filter? Even if you have you may have to replace it again if you replaced your fuel pump or had rust in your tank. My gas filler neck rusted so bad it was dropping flakes in the neck. Also if you are having parts like that replaced I would take a minute to crawl under there to verified that someone actually replaced the part they said they did. Most shops are honest but sometimes stuff doesn't happen like they say it happens. I see it a lot in the dealership business. Maybe one guy worked on it and said it needs a fuel filter and fuel pump, parts get ordered and another guy doesn't install the fuel pump because the filter "fixed" the problem and now they don't have to hassle with replacing the fuel pump. Just my opinion.... read some Walmart TLE horror stories and you will check everything on your truck before and after you take it in.

1991fordrangerKobe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes I did replace my fuel filter as well. I take my truck into one shop and one shop only and its a good family friend who has done all the work on my truck and i had it in there a month ago to replace my fuel pump and they ran multiple test and said everything is good and its still having stalling issues.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well then you have a non-standard issue, so you will need to try other things

With engine idling tap on all the relays in the engine fuse box
Then move wiring harness around as much as practical, also connectors like on coil pack and Cam sensor, also crank sensor
You can use a wooden stick/dowel to move wires, don't get shocked or get hand chewed up by the fan :)

Then move inside the cab and do the same thing, jiggle the key
reach under dash and move wires around
Ignition switch wiring is on lower steering column, thats about the only wires inside cab that can cause a stall

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals