• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'78 Cobra 302 into 87 Ranger?

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You're not going to get what you think here. Offy single four carb intakes were the worst designs ever made, aside from the Edelbrock SP2P. Ditto for an Eddy carb.

Actually i feel i will do ok with what I have set up so far. I am not looking for a 1/4 mile screamer, nor an engine that will get revved over 5K. what I built was a thought out lower rpm torque engine with careful planning. The cam shop is 30 miles from me, so when i went there I told the engineer that i was planning on long tube headers, gt40P heads, bored 68 block, offy dual port intake, stock crank and rods and slugs that the machine shop suggested @ $70 bucks each. (no idea where the tag is on them now).

I let him know that I would seldom run over 5K and not into drag racing but wanted the stomp pedal to do its thing when needed. the original 68 stick was in very nice condition and after $300 i got a 2 stage cam, along with recommendations for lifters and push rods.

The bad rap the offy intake got was from guys that wanted a 1/4 mile screaming intake and used them with shorty style headers. wrong combination from the get go.

I am building a show truck so a beat the daylights outta it truck is not what i am after.

cheers and here is the engine

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156327
You'd be better off with a stock iron intake. And nowhere close to 350 HP at the wheels. Maybe 250 hp.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
You'd be better off with a stock iron intake. And nowhere close to 350 HP at the wheels. Maybe 250 hp.
i can see you didn't read this thread from #1....

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
i can see you didn't read this thread from #1....
I read all of it. You started off saying you "scored" a 302 from a 78 Mustang Cobra. Now you're saying it's a 68 block. And I'm the one confused ? :icon_rofl::icon_confused:

Last edited:

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
who started this freaking post??

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
nice to see you posting baddad. :thefinger:

I curious to know why you think the 78 short block is inferior to an 88 ? Do a H/C/I swap on either and you basically have the same result. But that's IF you keep the factory pistons. The 78 has a better block with 10 pounds more iron. The crank in the 78 is heavier, but the 88's balancer and flywheel are too. Both have the same rods. Convert the 78 to roller with new 1.619 Pin height pistons and they're identical.
muh?

i know for sure the 78 block is likely better.

my point was...the 78 was not a boat anchor.

i have been swapping v8's (all makes) into the rbv platform since the 1980's and lived through the dismal wheezer 302 era. which getting 350 hp was done then too...just not overly common.

so i guess i am at a loss to what makes his free boat anchor any different then the others since no matter what, i am starting with a hci swap right off the bat building any 302. all stock 302's are nutless cowards compared to any modern powerplant.

apples to apples.....? is it a 302 or not?

are you only using stock parts for 1978 for a 1978 engine

and comparing it only using stock parts from 1988 for a 1988 engine?

because you can get 300 whp from the 88 carefully modified/reconstructed...

the 78 if you lock yourself in that oem only footprint with that year parts....yeah....not happening.

is that apples to apples enough?

otherwise adding a custom hci to the 78 engine along with better rods and pistons easily pops the 300 whp cherry.

goal of 350 hp....hci right off the bat...rotating assembly will dictate the specifics. but short of a boss 302...ya know...

i was stating the 78 if you were only using stock parts for 78...verse an 88 well, you can make more power easier with the 88 confined to that box....

350 hp is not hard to do. just have to go shopping.

now if your expecting to pass emissions and get ok fuel economy....i cant help you with these platforms.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
nice to see you posting baddad. :thefinger:

muh?

i know for sure the 78 block is likely better.

my point was...the 78 was not a boat anchor.

goal of 350 hp....hci right off the bat...rotating assembly will dictate the specifics. but short of a boss 302...ya know...

i was stating the 78 if you were only using stock parts for 78...verse an 88 well, you can make more power easier with the 88 confined to that box....

now if your expecting to pass emissions and get ok fuel economy....i cant help you with these platforms.
I got the OP confused with the later poster that jumped in midway in the thread. As for the 78 vs the 88, the only difference would be the roller cam. And the rotating assembly would be a bit lighter in weight vs the 78.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Bobby: I'm going to give you hard time, just 'cause. :thefinger:

Did anyone notice the OP is from Colorado Springs?

350 rwhp @ mile high, is 425+ rwhp at STP; which is over 500hp @ crank again at STP (maybe as much as 550hp). And making that power in a 302 and having it "drive-able" is getting...challenging.

I also note per the link to the Hot Rod magazine site - the 400hp engine was making almost 400 ft.lbs of torque - which really puts it out of league for T-5. And yes, I replaced many Borg Warner transmissions in my wife's Mustang/buddy's Mustang/another buddy's Camaro. There's one in my garage at moment awaiting rebuild.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
" And yes, I replaced many Borg Warner transmissions in my wife's Mustang/buddy's Mustang/another buddy's Camaro. There's one in my garage at moment awaiting rebuild. "

Why not look into going with Doug Nash 5 speed instead?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals