• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'79 351m

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The Ford 400 engine was based on the 351 Cleveland but was produced with a half inch taller deck height to allow for a crankshaft with a longer stroke. The 400 also featured larger main-bearing journals and had "square" proportions, with a 4.0 in (102 mm) bore and stroke; it therefore displaced 402 cu in (6.6 L), making it the largest small-block V8 made at that time. It was introduced in model year 1971 with a full half-inch (12.7 mm) longer stroke than the 351 Cleveland, making it the longest-stroke Ford pushrod V8 engine. A long-stroke engine has good low-end torque. This was a good compromise given Ford's requirement for an engine to power heavier mid-size and full-size cars and light trucks. The M-block, as it later became known, was the last pushrod V8 block designed by Ford. The M-block also shares some elements with the Windsor engine family: bore spacing, cylinder head bolt-patterns and crankshaft journal dimensions

The 351M designation is commonly referred to “Modified”, and is derived from the use of both "Cleveland" (block, heads) and "Windsor" (crankshaft) components in the same engine. A "Modification" for the parts intended application so to speak.

And if you try to use the 351m crank in a 351w you would need to machine down the front of the crank so the 351w timing chain would fit.
:nono: See, here's where you failed to do your homework. The 400 block's decks are NOT a half inch taller than a 351C. They're exactly ONE POINT THREE INCHES TALLER. (10.30 vs 9.20 ) :haha: So it appears, you're not the guru on these engines you thought you were. The fact remains that doing the mods that Boggin-B-series asked about are a complete waste of time and money on a stock 351M.

fordmike1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 & 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
That was a cut and paste from another website.The fact remains that the 351m/400 are based off the cleveland and that is what the "M" stands for.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
If you truly knew your stuff, you wouldn't be cuttin and pastin off a website. As for the "M" designation, that's been open to debate ever since they came out with it. It's also been said to stand for "Midland"

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They're exactly ONE POINT THREE INCHES TALLER. (10.30 vs 9.20 ) :haha: So it appears, you're not the guru on these engines you thought you were.
Wouldn't that be 1.10" taller?

I know the 351M/400 block is taller than the 351C, but since they are different it doesn't really matter to me how much... they won't interchange anyway.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Wouldn't that be 1.10" taller?

I know the 351M/400 block is taller than the 351C, but since they are different it doesn't really matter to me how much... they won't interchange anyway.
:black_eye: you're absolutely right. I thought about that on the way to work this morning. Good catch. :icon_cheers:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
The 400 can be a runner with work done to it. The 351M can be also with work done to it. Just not as much as a 400 can be :)

The 351 "M" Designiation means "Modified" meaning its a Destroked 400. It has nothing to do with windsor and cleveland parts, or the fact its a different 351, or the fact that bread comes sliced, its because it is basically a 400 thats been modifed to be a 351. Hence "351 Modified".

Midland? I have NEVER heard that one before.

later,
Dustin

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
thanks alot guys and the truck will be mine on friday:D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals