• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'06 281 in an '04 Ranger?

Trooper4985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm putting together a 5.4 N/A build for my '06 Mustang GT and I'm wondering if anyone has dropped a 281 in a new Ranger 4X4. I tried searching but the engine wont allow 4.6 or 281. I would not take on both projects at the same time ($$$) but I would like to know if it is possible so I know what to plan to do with my 7k mile 281 that already has the basic Mustang bolt-ons.

I know for the right amount of money... anything is possible but I'm not looking to spend boatloads of money on the truck. It would be cool to have a 300h/320tq mod motor in my Ranger but I'm not looking to waste money that would be better spent on selling the 281 and trading the Ranger in on an F150.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It would be the wiring that would keep me away. The newer 4.6 motors (3V) have all their wiring (two cpu's and the bussed electrical center) located up on the right passenger side front fender, not where everyone is used to seeing them on a Ranger. You got a '06' GT so pop the hood and take a look. Might be able to do it but with a 4x4, have to use the Explorer trans and transfer case I would guess. I've sure thought about it in a 4x2. Could always get a Sport Trak and drop that 4.6 into it. Only 7K on an '06'? I'm ready to turn 15K on my '07'
Dave

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals