• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1 ton ranger 460 or 390 swap

Kubotaranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Im new too the forum so dont be to harsh, i have a kingpin dana 60 front and a sterling rear to go with it. I plan on shortening both to go under a first gen ranger. For engine options, i have a 390 and a t19 to go in it but im wondering if it would be better to spend the extra money and go with a 460. This build is on a super tight budget so id like to stick with the 390 cause i already have it. My goal for the motor is 350- 400 hp

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is your 390 already making that kind of power?

If not get a spreadsheet going and compare the price to build. It might be cheaper to buy a 460 and build it than build a 390.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Where's Rusty when you need him? It seems like all he talks about is 460's in Rangers

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Those kind of power numbers arnt hard to acheive with either engine.

However, an FE will cost more in parts, and 460s can be snagged pretty cheap. Aftermarket is pretty even for both.

Personally, id sell the 390 and go with a 460. Itll be about the same in cost, and youll have much more room to grow.

But...

Dont discount the 400. They can be had even cheaper then a 460, but the aftermarket is weak.

I still say 460.

Kubotaranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Those kind of power numbers arnt hard to acheive with either engine.

However, an FE will cost more in parts, and 460s can be snagged pretty cheap. Aftermarket is pretty even for both.

Personally, id sell the 390 and go with a 460. Itll be about the same in cost, and youll have much more room to grow.

But...

Dont discount the 400. They can be had even cheaper then a 460, but the aftermarket is weak.

I still say 460.
I actually have a 351m right now in perfect shape with a c6, would that be a valid option?

Kubotaranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Is your 390 already making that kind of power?

If not get a spreadsheet going and compare the price to build. It might be cheaper to buy a 460 and build it than build a 390.
No the 390s in bad shape lol. But i like the t19s granny gear so ill be using it for sure. It seems like i can get a good 460 for about a grand here so ill have to do some research

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
what are the goals for the truck? trailer trash mud hound? sand-dragger? dune ripper?

run whatever works that is cheapest.

stock the 351m and 400 are crap. better off with a 4.0/m5od till you build the engine you want. and the 351m or 400 can be built to perform very well.

i would not narrow the axles. your married to custom parts that a healthy big block is going to break if your running some tire that requires 1 tonaxles and big block power. get fat fenders and a bit of back spacing on the wheels...

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
You could run the 351M.

A 4bbl, straight up timing gear, a good intake manifold and headers they can run pretty decent. But, it wont run like a 400 with those same mods.

That being said though, a 351M can become a 400 pretty easy with a 400 crank and rods. A 4.0 will not motivate a heaiver rig better then a 351M/400. The 351M/400 was designed for heavy cars with high gears, they are smooth, low end grunt engines.

If the 390 is junk, and the 351M is in good shape, id run the 351M just for reliabilty reasons. Plus, the motor mounts used for a 351M as well as the tranny bell would allow for easy swapping to a 460 later on down the line if you so choose. If you set it up for a 390 youre stuck with a 390 (or other FE) unless you redo motor mounts and bellhousing.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Personally I would just go with a 427 side oiler. You're only looking at an extra $15,000 so why not?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Lemme put it this way....

The 1k (which seems lofty to me, but i dont know your location), youre thinking of dishing out for a junkyard 460, that you know nothing about, that may or may not be in good shape...would buy you all the mods i mentioned above, PLUS a 400 rotateing assembly to put in your 351M. Then youll have an engine you KNOW is reliable, and will perform just as good, if not better then a healthy, stock, 460.

The 390 i wouldnt even consider at this point.

Will the 400 make 350-400hp with what i suggested? No. But itll make gobs of low end, reliable grunt and youll have 1/2 (or less) into what you would a 460.

The 460 cheerleaders dont like hearing this, but compareing engines from the same era the 400 makes 80% of the 460s peak torque, and at less RPM, mostly due to its 4in stroke. So its not rocket science to conclude that with mods, you can surpass a 460 for torque.

Lemme tell you this...

I towed a 7000lb 32 ft travel trailer around for 2 years with my 77 F250. Thats a bone stock 400, saddled with a C6 and a 3.07 rear. Granted, it wasnt ideal keeping 55 up a decent hill, but it always pulled very well (considering the gearing) down low. To me, that speaks volumes as to how much grunt these things make.

I know yours is a 351M, but like i said, a 400 is just a crank and rods away.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
i guess first i would have to know actual goals of "budget" build...

budget i understand and hillbilly poor boy is my wheel house. i cant see anyone baggin on ya for doing something crazy....budget just changes with availability.

because you want a big block...460 is the obvious choice...they are all over the place....or 454. they are out there and in ok condition for good prices.

if you already have a running 351 or 400 power-train...certainly use it....or a big block chevy or 350 or old mopar....buick 3.8.

..whatever...

if it is complete fan to transfer case and runs good..get it in there. thats the beauty of a sas....tear the ttb k member out and do whatever pleases ya.

again. if your power-train hunting....and its going to be cheap...probably going to be stock pulled from an old beast....

stock.....m engines are not too easy to find...351 wheezed out from a 78 or so are crap for the proposed project if trail use is on the map...... yes a 4.0 will run away from those 351m engines all things being equal. they (the m engines) do make tq numbers at 2k rpm....real good if you consider sub 300 good... which is shameful for 351 cubes but they are what they are..but on the whole curve at the tire the 4.0 is right with it.

the 400 is a different deal...it for sure makes hard core low end if it is in excellent condition. thats what they do. but then they fall on their face at 4 k. good for crawlin...but wheel speed is not so much.. if prodigious wheel speed is a factor...none of these engines are good...

1) you can actually find running 4.0 and 5 speed for about same price most places. because they are cheeeeeep.

2) if you have not already hacked up the 86...it bolts in. gets you by while your building super engine.(see 15000 dollar side oiler)

3) they are much lighter and more reliable wheelin. but also rpm limited like the m.

still, to get by. money on 4.0.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Lemme put it this way....

The 1k (which seems lofty to me, but i dont know your location), youre thinking of dishing out for a junkyard 460, that you know nothing about, that may or may not be in good shape...would buy you all the mods i mentioned above, PLUS a 400 rotateing assembly to put in your 351M. Then youll have an engine you KNOW is reliable, and will perform just as good, if not better then a healthy, stock, 460.

The 390 i wouldnt even consider at this point.

Will the 400 make 350-400hp with what i suggested? No. But itll make gobs of low end, reliable grunt and youll have 1/2 (or less) into what you would a 460.

The 460 cheerleaders dont like hearing this, but compareing engines from the same era the 400 makes 80% of the 460s peak torque, and at less RPM, mostly due to its 4in stroke. So its not rocket science to conclude that with mods, you can surpass a 460 for torque.

Lemme tell you this...

I towed a 7000lb 32 ft travel trailer around for 2 years with my 77 F250. Thats a bone stock 400, saddled with a C6 and a 3.07 rear. Granted, it wasnt ideal keeping 55 up a decent hill, but it always pulled very well (considering the gearing) down low. To me, that speaks volumes as to how much grunt these things make.

I know yours is a 351M, but like i said, a 400 is just a crank and rods away.

hmm...
that c6 with a 410 gear you would not have been able to go 60 mph.

the grunt is great. but range for a buggy like this is better.

last build i seen cost more then 1 k for the machine work and balancing to run rpm... 4 k in...it made 550 plus tq and 450 hp though. which is awesome.

but it comes at a cost for fuel.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
An OHV 4.0 makes 160hp and 220ftlbs.

An 351M, IIRC, makes 159hp and 295ftlbs.(Id have to dig out my 70s chilton to make sure, but i know the windsor in those years made 149hp and 290ftlbs, and the M was a touch stronger)

The 4.0 makes torque at 2400rpm.

The 351M makes it at 1800rpm.

So, more less, youll be in granny low and 4 low to crawl over the same thing a 351M would crawl over in 2nd and high range.

As far as RPM goes, bobbys right, they flatten out pretty hard at 4000 or so. But, just run some higher gears if you need the wheelspeed, youll have the torque to do it.

A stock 460 also starts huffing at 4-4500rpm. Its just the nature of the beast.

I really, really, think that 351M, or 400 if you so choose to build it, will satisfy what youre wanting, assuming you want a general purpose, good all around rig.

....and like i said, set it up for a M engine, and if you get bored with it a 460 will slide right in.

Last edited:

Kubotaranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
what are the goals for the truck? trailer trash mud hound? sand-dragger? dune ripper?

run whatever works that is cheapest.

stock the 351m and 400 are crap. better off with a 4.0/m5od till you build the engine you want. and the 351m or 400 can be built to perform very well.

i would not narrow the axles. your married to custom parts that a healthy big block is going to break if your running some tire that requires 1 tonaxles and big block power. get fat fenders and a bit of back spacing on the wheels...
Itll be an all-around farm truck but ill enter it in local mudbogs and stuff, the reason for shortening the 60s is that the trails around here are more for quads and in my 4runner i could go through any of em. plus i got them for free. But with the motor i think a 460s the way to go for the cheapest power

Kubotaranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think ill put the 351m in it for now with a straight up timing set and a 4 barrel, then later when more money comes along opt for the 460. Im 15 right now so thats why im being cheap lol, anyways thanks for the quick responses its really appreciated.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals