• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Vibrations

muddypunk

Reaction score
I'm sure it's somewhere but after a week of searching I'm underwhelmed but the information I've found.

2003 FX4 super cab 4.0 5spd 170k miles.

I've had the truck 5 months and it's always a little vibration that got better with new tires then came back it. I was driving 70mph on the freeway to go test for my CDL A and when I pulled off while I was slowing it started shaking bad so I pulled into a parking lot and pulled the front drive shaft U joint had major slop and it was great it's been driving awesome. I replaced the u joint with a Napa gold and reinstalled today and the vibes are back, can I grease the CV or do I need to order a replacement? Could the T case be the issue the chain has maybe a 1/4 turn of slop.

I'm new to IFS stuff cv's are new to me.

Thanks Aaron

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Gotta ask (process of problem solving ya know)

Are you absolutely certain the tie rod ends and ball joints are good and tight?

Worn shocks can wear a pattern in tires, and again, the feel will be made worse with bad joints and worn out shocks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would drop the front drive shaft again and then drive it for awhile that way to see if vibration is completely gone, or just less noticeable

muddypunk

Reaction score
Ok so I fixed it I beat on the u joint to loosen it up more. Changed out both front unit bearings and it's smooth sailing. The ball joints don't seem to have any play but when greasing the left upper it squirts out around the top so I know those are to come soon.

I used a needle for a grease gun to grease up the drive shaft CV I have to say it worked really well. Pumped it full then collapsed and extended several times until the dirty grease came out clean.

Thanks for a point in the right direction.

Aaron

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work :icon_thumby:

Thanks for posting the FIX

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals