• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rebuilt 302 Tune need help!!

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Then he has to remove accessories to plug it though.

Sent from a Commodore 64 using a 300 baud modem

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Then he has to remove accessories to plug it though.

Sent from a Commodore 64 using a 300 baud modem
I would pull an alternator (the only thing in his way) over an engine or a firewall anyday. :icon_thumby:

There is about 1/2" between the farthest back bolt head and my firewall.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I would pull an alternator (the only thing in his way) over an engine or a firewall anyday. :icon_thumby:

There is about 1/2" between the farthest back bolt head and my firewall.
Yeah, I guess I'm thinking of myself again (the Stang). :icon_twisted:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I had the heads leaking out the holes on my heads too...well on one. But my engine sits about 2 inch more forward then Ashly of guys that DJ this swap so i was able to plug them...more like covert them with a plate out flat steel that was booked to the back of the heads and it made a world of difference on noise but nothing for performance. I'm running a similar carb but mine is running rich and it is having a harder time idling for some reason. The most vacuum i got at idle with mine was 15 too and got it to 20 on higher rpms. What size jets are you running? I'm nut sure about what size mine are but i needed something smaller as mine runs rich and gives me 8mpg city.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

CraKel

February 2010 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.OH
Transmission
Automatic
Ok just went out and checked the egr x over ports while the engine was running. On pass side all 3 holes are threaded, two have bolts in the one open, but no leak there. Driver side is the culprit, although, i cant see what the hell is going on back there i can definitely feel exhaust coming out, the valve cover is literally touching the firewall just below the hole where the throttle linkage gies tgrough the wall to the pedal. Fire wall is hot as hell after a few min too. Cant even get a mirror back there to look. Either wayits gotta be pugged. Prob gunna cut out the firewall from the pedal side this wknd and take another look. Is it normal to have all the holes threaded already? Maybe my engine builer kne something i didnt.. Im hoping its the only.problem from letting me tune this thing. No fluid coming out so i dont think itsa valve cover or manifold gasket problem.

Not sure what jet size im running right now but ill try and find out. My bud dad said same thing, might have to change jets to get it to run right. Plugs look like its running lean but cant really say, only had them in and running for like 5 hours or so.

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Before you start changing jets, you need to get the timing issue corrected. Then you can try tuning the carb. If you screw the mixture screws all the way in (don't get too rough with them, they are sorta fragile) and it still runs, you have a vacuum leak which must be fixed before tuning the carb. If it dies, then you tune the carb.

If you tune the carb and it still doesn't perform like you want, THEN you can start changing jets. But don't make big jumps.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
More was so loud in the cab that you couldn't talk to the person sitting in the passenger seat let alone hear the exhaust system. Plus it was putting alot of exhaust gas onto the cab too.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also my hole didn't have threads in it on my driverside in the head so that's why i had to do the flat steel method.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals