• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Official A4LD Problem Thread!

khardy81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 93 ranger 4.0l auto. The problem is there is a very long drag before it shifts from 1st to 2nd. If I'm lucky to get 3rd there is no change in rpm's. 4th and o/d are out of the question. The gears I have seem to pull fine and there is no noise coming from the trans. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Possible swap to a different trans might be in the future if there is a better stronger one that would fit.

cougar190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1 1990,2 1994's
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 and 4.0
OoooK ! Forward in all Shifter Positions WTF??

1994 STX 4.0 ltr. A4LD tranny 4X4. Put in a used one (tranny) last year (with new fluid & filter). Been doing fine till a few days ago. Left that morning, everything fine. Got in truck that after noon and after starting it, it seemed like the engine was in a bind, wanting to pull (when giving it throttle to warm it up, in Park). So I shifted through the gears, finding out that it was trying to pull (as if in Drive) no matter where the shifter lever was (PRND21) . Tried shutting it off and restarting a number of times, no change. When I shifted it into Reverse it wouldn't go either direction (just like it was in both F&R). So I went ahead and drove it home ('bout 15 miles). 2 or 3 times on the way home I stopped and tried shifting through all positions on the shifter, still in Drive (forward) in all positions w/ Reverse still causing a locked in both directions feeling (and not moving). Everything looks to be connected with no leaks or anything looking out of place. Tranny fluid full. I will add that while driving, it acted normally, shifting through all the forward gears even OD. It's just that it won't come out of the forward gears and when you out it in reverse it acts like it's in both drive and reverse (cause it is, LOL). What has happened?? Do I have a piece of crap holding a valve open or closed :dunno: ?? Thanks in advance! ...cougar... P.S. You'll notice I don't post much. That's because our (wife & I's) Rangers 90EXT cab,94STX 4X4,94Ext cab 2wd and 2005 Edge don't really give us any major problems !!!

Braindead

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 85, 94, 97
Make / Model
Rangers
Engine Size
8"electric, 2.3, 4.0-OHV, 4.0-OHV
My credo
They say it can't be done, so I did it. Again
I have the same stuck in D and R issue when it is in Reverse. Just bought the 1991 Explored <(it IS used after all) about a half mile away, because it gave me options. I have a few questions here. The situation is that I am planning to buy a Altered wheelbase Fairlane and I need cash for it QUICK, so I decided to finish my engineless spare 77 Pinto Cruising Wagon. The other vehicle involved here is my income earning 89 2WD Ranger x-cab 2.9 auto, low mileage (200,000 km about 120,000 Miles) with a minor intermittent flluid spewing issue which has happened twice in over two years driven heavy but somewhat cautiosly with slightly oversized (was 265 65 r16 and now is 285 65 R16 on '03 Ranger steelies)rear tires on the rear for load capacity.
And it looks not too bad
The options to me are;
1- Put the 2.9 and the 2WD auto into the Pinto after converting the Explored into a pickup, then find another driveline for the Ranger. This assumes I can repair the Explored's "Stuck in R & D at same time" issue.
2- put the 4.0 from Explored into the Pinto after finding a suitable trans, unless the 4x4 A4LD can be repaired ANd can be easily converted to a 2WD config.
3- I am sure there are other options BUT it has to be done BEFORE the Fairlane is sold.
And they're only asking $1500 for it (no engine, trans, or interior) I understand that he is holding it for me one day.

Braindead

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 85, 94, 97
Make / Model
Rangers
Engine Size
My credo
BTW ! I am assuming that using a 4x4 trans in a 2WD won't matter as long as it fits and I don't try to engage it?

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
I would put the 4.0 in the pinto(I love pintos), you will have to find another trans, or do a completely rebuild on the tranny from what I hear from the local transmission place, he wants 800.00 to rebuild mine, I can get another one from Pull-A-Parts for 150.00.

also you can still use the 4x4 on the trans, you will just have a very low 2wd stump puller.

Robert

posted using a burnt valve and broken rocker arm.

Braindead

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 85, 94, 97
Make / Model
Rangers
Engine Size
My credo
I think I am getting the hang of this forum stuff. I just bookmarked it.
The 4.0 IS going into a Pinto, just not sure which Pinto. Bought another A4LD 4x4 trans from a 91 Explorer, plus a 5 Speed from another 91 Explorer same seller. Guy had a bunch of Rangers and Explorers on the farm.
I also have located a couple 4.0 sohc engines (one has bent valve, according to seller).
I am planning to put one into my 89 Mighty Ranger with the 5 speed. It is nice to not be pressed to get the vehicle back on the road ASAP!
The Mighty Ranger no longer has to be my work truck because I bought a low mileage 92 F-150 300 6cyl-5 speed with 3.73 8.8 posi, air overloads, and a .020 steel plate and tubing brush bar that would be perfect in a "Mad Max" movie.
Probably the best $600 purchase of my career.
Lets me build the Ranger the way I want to, as a rolling business card/ advertisement for my business.
I plan to remove the bed and make it into a trailer for the Ranger, which will become a stake side flat deck.
What I would like is to have duallies on it. Is that feasible?
I will be using the 8.8 from the Explorer in the Ranger and the Ranger's 7.5 goes to the Pinto, because it is narrow enough for the Pinto. Apparently the Explorer rear end is three inches wider than the Ranger, even though the spring perches are the same width. Although on the wrong side or the axle. Explorer rear end has the perches on the bottom of the axles, Ranger perches are on the TOP.

spark plug

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Help no od!

I first drove my explorer sense I bought it 2 yrs ago yesterday I had high rpms through all the gears and 3k at 55 I have sense managed to get 3rd to come in a Lil better while the truck was off the road I did a new vacuum modulator and hose it was toast the guy I bought it from isn't mechanically intelligent so idk how long he drove it with the modulator being bad I had no 3rd gear when I drove it home 2 yrs ago wasn't till few weeks ago that I discovered that the modulator was the culprit after a fluid /filter change didn't fix it I Google it 3rd still kinda sticky 4th not even a little bit I posted this on the explorer forum but no help hopefully someone here can help me

ProjectBlueBullitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
1990 a4ld problems

Recently after I had changed the trans fluid and filter in my 90 ranger 4.0 2wd it started shuddering at higher speeds, now it's almost all the time but only when I'm on the throttle. It shifts fine, goes in reverse fine, every now and then when I put it in drive it makes a clunking noise. That's about it, before I changed the fluid and filter it only shuddered every know and then but when it did it shuddered really hard. Right after I changed the fluid and filter it solved my problem completely, now it's back to what I mentioned above. I have a feeling it's the torque convertor but idk. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
Recently after I had changed the trans fluid and filter in my 90 ranger 4.0 2wd it started shuddering at higher speeds, now it's almost all the time but only when I'm on the throttle. It shifts fine, goes in reverse fine, every now and then when I put it in drive it makes a clunking noise. That's about it, before I changed the fluid and filter it only shuddered every know and then but when it did it shuddered really hard. Right after I changed the fluid and filter it solved my problem completely, now it's back to what I mentioned above. I have a feeling it's the torque convertor but idk. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Sounds more like a u-joint is going out, I'd check those first.

Robert

posted using a number 10 pencil and orange crayon.

BAMAJiPS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
94 Ranger Ext Cab 4.0OHV
4x4

Just dropped a new motor in. 178,000 on truck. Looked like the transmission had already been replaced due to typical ink markings written on top of bellhousing like the junkmans pen. Running 31x10.50 15" tires and has a flowmaster muffler w dual outlet. Pretty spent exhaust which i had to use paste to seal some holes.

Tranny seems to run fine and shift great but highway speeds it seems to have a surging sound. Waaa waaa waaa waaaaaaaaaaaaaa hold for a bit waaaaa waaaa waaaaaaaaaaaaa. Almost like its trying to suck up more fluid. Seems worse when its warmed up. Doesnt seem noticeable when cold,
I had addressed several leaks by outting in a new radiator and not using teflon on the threads (my bad). I need to go back out and check fluid level now but wondering and hoping its not slipping in 4th gear at hwy speeds. Wondering if a new filter and inspection of the pan will cure my ails. Hoping to have it perfect for hunting season here approaching to get top dollar on sale and it certainly wont with this ailment :-/ any ideas?

Last edited:

dalegibb1994

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
A4ld

1994 ford ranger with 4.0 my transmission torque converter took a shit at 190,000 miles took it apart ended up spending 200 dollars had parts laying around for it. I went in and replaced the orings and seals then put in new servos and cleaned it out very good from the torque converter blowing up. Then put it all back togther and by passed the radiator cooling and just put a aftermarket cooler in front of the rtadiator. Also i over fill my transmission so it will stay lubed up i put 4 to 5 courts in has always ran fine this way then a tube of shutter and that helps out with rough shifts. currently at 210,000 miles

Hinkanator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1989 Ford Ranger XLT with the 2.9L V6 and an A4LD Automatic Transmission.

Bought it 6 months ago, and it idled very rough and chugged once it decelerated. I changed out the elbow connections coming off of the fuel injector that were very loose, charged the AC (which still does not blow cold due to possibly the electrical wires), and swapped out the PCV Valve grommet so that it was sealed off. I also changed the muffler and tailpipes, which were damaged.

Drove like a dream for a couple of days, then got to where it would reverse, drive down a block, then if I stopped and went to accelerate again, revved up as in neutral. I would cycle the shifter on the column through the gears and it would catch and drive like normal. After a couple more days, it started to drop into neutral at multiple stops in a row and I took it straight home to the garage.

I had to cut off the old catalytic converter to get to the vacuum modulator. I put on a new vacuum modulator and catalytic converter. The Ranger would engage in all of the gears when shifting on the column, reverse and drive, but would not automatically shift from first to second gear when accelerating. I could manually shift it on the column, but could not get it to automatically shift.

I have purchased the kits for the valve control body rebuild, so I installed those. The bore for the 1-2 transition would compress and stick open. As I disassembled and reassembled, I made sure everything was good and felt smooth. After reassembling, the Ranger is in the same place. It will engage in all of the gears, reverse, and drive, but will not shift from first into second automatically as accelerating. It will shift into second manually on the column though.

I've heard it could be a vacuum issue, which makes sense with the changes made to seal off leaks seeming to be the cause the of issues. The fluid level drops when the truck is running, but I have not measured what the vacuum level is, nor how to measure it.

I have also heard a sticking governor can cause the A4LD not to shift from first to second, but am not sure what symptoms would point to the governor over anything else.

I love the truck and would love to drive it, but I'm not a mechanic so the diagnosis part is not my area of expertise. I always appreciate sound advice though. Thanks!

zombieologist

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
This is my not fixed problem that I would love some help on. I have a 93 XLT ranger and its transmission doesn't like me. It will not shift from 1 until about after 20-30 minutes of driving. Then it will shift (albeit kinda of hard) just fine up and down. I noticed that there is less tranny fluid than their should be and I am going to fix that tomorrow. I will let you know if that works. Any other ideas what might be causing it?

texas03042

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995 , 1996
Make / Model
rangers
Transmission
Automatic
just rebuilt

95 2.3 auto.
$2550 at aamco yesterday and today it acts just like it did. slips, most noticeably between 2/3, stays in neutral, wont go into 4th.
is there a sensor on the motor that could be bad? or maybe the 'brain'?
how hard is the 'electronic pressure regulator' to get to?

mbondo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
A4LD ('92) won't go into OD

Have a "92 with a 3.0L motor and the A4LD. Truck currently has 265,000 and runs like a top. The trans failed about 15,000 miles ago and my trusted, longtime mechanic got it rebuilt by a friend of his (AAMCO shop).

Since then, the trans has performed flawlessly. I'm very easy on the machine
(no hard acceleration, always warm it up when cold, frequent oil (every 3K mi.)and trans fluid changes (every 10K mi.).

Last week I noticed that the trans did not seem to go into TC lock-up (OD). Other than that, no unusual behavior or symptoms from the trans whatsoever (shifts normally, no smell of burnt fluid, no fluid loss, no slipping,everything normal)
Did some research and learned that one of the most likely causes of the no TC lock-up is a failed TCC solenoid. Decided to take the vehicle to my mechanic who, in turn gave it to his friend who did the rebuild about 15,000 miles ago.

Spoke to the trans guy today. He said the TC clutch self-destructed and the trans would require a partial rebuild. So far, he's only dropped the pan and says he found chunks of brass in the fluid as evidence of the TC clutch failure.

He further stated that, in his opinion, 4th gear went out and the shift to 4th that I feel is actually the trans locking up the TC in 3rd gear rather than shifting to 4th.

So, my question: Does the above description of the problem jibe with the trans guys diagnosis of the problem? If the TC clutch failed and 4th gear failed as he suggested, would the trans lock-up the TC from 3rd? would the above problem be expected to display any other symptoms?

My mechanic apparently trusts this fella, but I have heard mixed reviews from others. Also, I'm extremely surprised to learn the TC, the TC clutch and / or 4th gear could have gone out and it would not exhibit any unusual behavior (other than not going / apparently going into OD at highway speeds).

Any enlightenment from this forum would be GREATLY appreciated. thanks.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals