• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Updating the Tech Library Transmission section - Suggestions Needed

86freebie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
one thing that should be noted (and hopefully i did not just miss) is that the bushing replacement http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2007/shifterbushings.htm is not for the 145 tranny:scare: i did buy the parts all of them...o_O. and does anyone know were to get the hole shifter assembly for the 145. as far as i can tell it AINT repairable. "parts in hand" it is one piece:icon_confused:

blind029

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I recently got a copy of the build sheet for my transmission that includes the shim thicknesses, rotating torques, exploded views, basically everything to tear down and rebuild for anyone who knows what to do with a manual transmission, is this something useful here?

rngrdngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
if i get some time i will do a step by step 4r44e/5r55e auto rebuild write up with the shift kit install.

RangerJake

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I was going to start a new thread asking which transmissions a 4.0 will bolt up to but if you could just make that part of the website, I'm sure a lot of people would find that helpful. I have a '92 Explorer 4.0 and an '87 BII, not sure if it's Mazda or Mitsubishi but it's a 5 speed.

Fordman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Jim, if I would'a known, I just put an A4LD together. Coulda took some pics, and detail the dis n reassembly. Got a 4.0 tranny I will be tearing down and going through soon, setting it up for a 3.0 .

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Heres a break down picture of the M5OD-R1 if that helps

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
with the few chevy swaps on the board maybe we should include a chevy transmission guide.

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a couple of real decent pics of the valve body area on photobucket. They are from when I swapped the shifter lever on an AWD Aerostar A4LD to a Ranger/Explorer.

I hope these help you some.

piotrsko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83-85/86/87/88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
11" KOSTOV 192V
Transmission
Manual
couple of requests:

more exploded assembly drawings: clutch, shifters

the 4ald to manual swaps are missing data about external hook ups, tranny hump plates, driveshaft lengths and configuration (BTW 88 reg cab with Koyo and 13-50 TC is 53 1/2 flange to flange,) no info on pre 84 tranny's with weird bellhousings

PARTS LISTS with ford P/n's

morgie89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 / 1980 / 1
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l /460 /351M
Transmission
Manual
Transmissions

How about info on NV3550 swap from -01 to -04 wrangler? The early bronco guys are using this trans behind small block Fords with an adapter from Advance or others. Ratios seem right and it is rated for small v8 torque. Advance has an adapter that mates to the 1350 t-case.
Input spline count is the same as Chevy, and the output spline matches the 1350. I am doing the homework on this because I am going to swap a 5.0 for the 2.9 in my '89 ranger 5 speed 4wd ext cab, I want to keep it stick shift and the other choices (Mazda or ZF 5 speeds) don't look good. I will document my research on this and will do a write up with pictures when the swap happens.
My other path was a switch to automatic; how about some info on getting a 4r70w to shift with '89 electronics (+ baumann add-on)?

Black_Splash

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I just wanted to add that when I did my tranny service here recently that Ford is recommending Mecron V on all automatic transmissions now.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
how about a pictorial walk-thru on installing a hurst shifter on the M5OD's? i know some of us already have them, every so often someone will ask about the hurst and wonder about the "how-to" of it.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
One more thing that should be updated is the info for the M50D-r1HD

The r1HD can be bolted to a OHV and SOHC 4.0, but the r1 cant be bolted to the SOHC. There is an extra bolt hole on the r1HD that allows it to be bolted to either transmission (at the 2 O'clock position).

You can see the there is an extra hole (top left) to accommodate both 4.0 bolt patterns

This is the back of a SOHC 4.0. Towards the right of the centerline of the block, just under the passenger side head there is a 'blank' spot.(this hole would be tapped out andused on an OHV)

Here is a pic of the r1HD bolted to a SOHC. You can see the extra bolt hole for the OHV pattern in this pic.

-plumcrazy

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals