• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fabric Dye

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi, new guy.

Couple of questions.

I'm about to inherit a '85 BII .

It needs some TLC but seems to be pretty solid.

My question is on the interior for now, drivers seat is ripped up pretty bad on bottom cushion -- I think I'll have to source a replacement or pay someone to recover it with new foam -- anyone have ideas where I could source some?

The door panels are the fabric covered ones, but they are pretty sun faded.

Has anyone dyed fabric??

The interior is red -- which I love and don't want to change....

Some pics in another thread.

https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179030

Thanks!

Jordan

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Most upholstery shops could fix the seat, the problem is finding matching fabric and you'd probably end up needing to reupholster all of the seats to match.

Other options include seat covers or junkyard seats.

Really comes down to how much money you want to spend. I took a look through your pics - my suggestion would be to get seat covers, clean the thing up, and get it roadworthy... if it's been sitting as long as it looks like it has, it needs a LOT of work. I just sold off one that I fixed up that had been sitting for quite a few years - it was a serious commitment.

You can dye fabric, FWIW, you could try Rit dye and it is available at Walmart or probably your grocery store. Usually it's applied in the washing machine and there is an issue of excess dye bleeding onto other things so you'll have to read up on using it on door panels before trying it.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Most upholstery shops could fix the seat, the problem is finding matching fabric and you'd probably end up needing to reupholster all of the seats to match.

Other options include seat covers or junkyard seats.

Really comes down to how much money you want to spend. I took a look through your pics - my suggestion would be to get seat covers, clean the thing up, and get it roadworthy... if it's been sitting as long as it looks like it has, it needs a LOT of work. I just sold off one that I fixed up that had been sitting for quite a few years - it was a serious commitment.

You can dye fabric, FWIW, you could try Rit dye and it is available at Walmart or probably your grocery store. Usually it's applied in the washing machine and there is an issue of excess dye bleeding onto other things so you'll have to read up on using it on door panels before trying it.
It hasn't been sitting as long as it appears.

It has a battery from 2013 in it, and I know we drove it around since then some.

But yes, I agree it will need some work to make it road worthy, but I'm willing and able. :icon_thumby:

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I wouldn't lean towards dying your fabrics. They are very old and it will release the dye onto your things. Just get new material and some spray glue and DIY. I have a lot of experience with fabrics and dying is for T-Shirts and hair. I am in the process of doing my interior and I am using Awning material because A) it is less likely to fade, B) I know how to manipulate these types of fabrics, C) it is tougher than most other fabrics associated with automobiles.
As for the seats, either have them reupholstered or JY seats as previously mentioned.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I wouldn't lean towards dying your fabrics. They are very old and it will release the dye onto your things. Just get new material and some spray glue and DIY. I have a lot of experience with fabrics and dying is for T-Shirts and hair. I am in the process of doing my interior and I am using Awning material because A) it is less likely to fade, B) I know how to manipulate these types of fabrics, C) it is tougher than most other fabrics associated with automobiles.
As for the seats, either have them reupholstered or JY seats as previously mentioned.
For some silly reason, it never occurred to me that I can have them reupholstered or recovered with new fabric.

That is most likely the route I'll go.

I believe I know a guy who can do interiors.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You could try places like Fibrenew or Creative Colors, they can sometimes fix tears in stuff like that. We have a local company that fixes the faux leather sofas when they have tears and they take a 3 inch tear in the couch and repair it and you would never know it was there and its only like $70 for the repair. I didn't look at the pics so I don't know how bad the seats are. We normally send emails with pics and they email back an estimate. It's best to have professionals fix stuff like this rather than messing with dyes and glue. They are normally in and out within 15-20 minutes. You can get nice seat covers that make you forget all about the factory seat fabric issues if you get the nice seat covers and not the cheap big lots specials lol.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
For some silly reason, it never occurred to me that I can have them reupholstered or recovered with new fabric.

That is most likely the route I'll go.

I believe I know a guy who can do interiors.
See if he can get Sunbrella brand fabric. It is waterproof for a year in the sun and is durable as he'll. They use it on patio furniture. Tough as nails

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
See if he can get Sunbrella brand fabric. It is waterproof for a year in the sun and is durable as he'll. They use it on patio furniture. Tough as nails
I own a boat... I've heard much about Sunbrella.

Never thought to use it on automotive interiors...

I know he does boat interiors too, so I'm sure he will know of it.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'll try to get picks of it for everyone next time I go to his house in a couple of weeks.

It is full of crap.... My Grandfather was bad about storing stuff in vehicle to keep it dry.

I'll take a trash can and clean her up for some pics.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Sunbrella is just one brand, there are several different one out there. Also forgot to mention that most have a UV protected coating.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals