Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Engine & Transmission Forums > Engine Conversions > V-8 Conversion Forums

Notices

Old 05-03-2014, 08:42 AM   #1
superds

Vehicle Year: 1984 2013
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: BII F150
I use this vehicle for: driving
superds is a splendid one to beholdsuperds is a splendid one to beholdsuperds is a splendid one to beholdsuperds is a splendid one to beholdsuperds is a splendid one to beholdsuperds is a splendid one to beholdsuperds is a splendid one to beholdsuperds is a splendid one to behold
Default 84 BII with 96 Explorer 5.0

In a few weeks I will be starting my V8 swap on my 84 BII.

I have a 5.0 from a 96 Explorer that I parted out with most of engine related components I thought I would need when I originally intended on putting this in my 90 Ranger, which I'm now parting out due to too many project vehicles, not enough time or space (or money, for that matter).

I've also amassed most of the parts needed to put the V8 into my Ranger and most of the parts will still be used to put it into the BII:
M5OD-R2 from circa 90 F150 with
new slave, clutch and flywheel for 90 F150
Mustang Convertible engine mounts
plugs, wires, gasket set for the 5.0
New fuel pump for my 90 Ranger (doesn't cross reference to any year of BII, so this probably won't get used)
Explorer radiator
I will try to use my existing electric fan in the BII
8.8 from Explorer will find it's way under the BII, as well as the Dana 35 from the Ranger (this way the gears will match, 3.73s)
Other parts collected as well, just can't remember all of them off hand.

My original intent was to swap the Explorer V8 into my Ranger with the Explorer ECU so I can keep the DIS, and use as many existing parts as possible to keep the costs down, which ironically would require me to purchase a tuner to disable the rear O2 sensors and the tranny functionality of the computer, but this would allow me for future expansion if I ever decided I needed more power.

So, basically, I want to just use the BII as the swap platform instead of the Ranger and purchase as few extra parts as possible. I want to put an Explorer 5.0 with factory electronics into a carbed 84 BII (probably build a box in the engine compartment for the computer). Is this the most difficult way to do this? It seems most people revert back to OBDI from 90s Mustangs to do their swaps. What problems should I expect?

I expect getting fuel to the engine to be the biggest change required to make this work. Can I just buy an external pump and new high pressure fuel line or should I try to scavenge the fuel system from the Ranger before I part it out? The pump I have won't work on the fuel tank in the BII since this is the 84 with the old style tank and if I bought a newer tank I would still have to buy a new pump since the Ranger fuel pump doesn't cross reference to a fuel injected BII. Also, the current fuel tank in the BII is brand new. Bought it less than a couple hundred miles ago (about a year ago) before I planned on putting a fuel injected engine in there.

What else should I try to grab from the Ranger that will help with this swap? I need to get rid of the Ranger before I start the swap on the BII due to the limited room I have to work/store vehicles.

I could also just take the EFI off but I like EFI for driveability and fuel economy. Also, I think making this a carbed engine might be more expensive at this point since I would have to get a distributor and a new intake manifold (I have a 2150 with 1.21 venturi that could be used) and other miscellaneous parts.
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Discount Code: 01783FE29A6986 Expires: December 30, 2018
Old 05-03-2014, 08:37 PM   #2
ClaytonBigsby

Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Model: Bronco II
I use this vehicle for: Gas Guzzlin Fun
ClaytonBigsby is on a distinguished road

subbed.
ClaytonBigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:15 PM   #3
superds

superds is a splendid one to beholdsuperds is a splendid one to beholdsuperds is a splendid one to beholdsuperds is a splendid one to beholdsuperds is a splendid one to beholdsuperds is a splendid one to beholdsuperds is a splendid one to beholdsuperds is a splendid one to behold

I like to keep my updates sparse..

I had started a thread over at BII corral but it doesn't look like it gets much traffic over there: 84 BII with 96 Explorer 5.0

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...3&share_type=t

I'm also not sure that link will even work. But it's the link in my signature.

I've got the new fuel tank/pump and fuel lines into the B2 as well as the new master cylinders (both brake and clutch) from my 90 Ranger.

Next I'll be working on getting the engine and transmission mounted.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:54 PM   #4
superds

Initial fitting of engine, still need to finalize motor mounts using v8 plates and 93 Ranger 4.0 mounts.

Picture of mount. Put 2" square tube between motor plates and engine block to get 2" more height I needed.

I also caressed the firewall and heater box to fit the engine, as most others have done, although the engine and transmission is not hooked up together yet so more may be needed.

Other fun stuff, some of it from the other thread:
Using M5OD-R2 from 90ish F150.
Sachs clutch and flywheel for 90 f150.
91-94 Explorer radiator
Not finalized on the fan yet but going to try to use aftermarket electric fan I had on my 90 Ranger (can't recall brand off hand)
87 BII fuel tank (larger opening for fuel pump)
87 BII fuel sender
90 Ranger in tank fuel pump (tight fit in the BII sender)
90 Ranger fuel lines/filter setup
90 Ranger clutch master cylinder
90 Ranger brake master cylinder/booster
PS pump on 96 Explorer engine (will probably need to use 4.0 pressure line from what I gather from a post I read by Ranger SVT)

I've also freshened up the seals and gaskets on the engine, everything I could replace without taking the heads off.

I'm probably missing some stuff that I've already done so I'll post more if I think of it. Although, this is a pretty run of the mill swap with the exception of the fuel tank/lines I'm swapping in. I don't think most people chose to use this method.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:25 AM   #5
superds

I removed the tubing I was using as a spacer between the block and the plates. I'm going to move the engine mount outward (and therefore up) on the engine crossmember to get the roughly one inch I'll need to get the engine as low as I want it.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:09 AM   #6
deathbypsi
06/2012 STOTM Winner

Vehicle Year: 88
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: putting a smile on my face
deathbypsi will become famous soon enough

Check the B2 forum here, Im doing a very similar swap on my 86 B2.

Up until 90 the efi B2 used a dual fuel pump setup, in 90 it went to a single in tank pump. I plan to use a 90 tank and sending unit in mine and just run new plastic lines.

I am also converting to a 87 Mustang 5.0 wire harness and will run it on the stock speed density ecm. Im a big fan of MicorSquirt stand alone efi set ups and do my own tuning so this will allow me down the road to do a plug and play ecm swap with no wiring mods needed should I choose to do so. I am however using a c4 trans so I will never need trans function control.
88 Ranger 2.3t June'12 STOM R.I.P.
83 Ranger truggy 5.0
deathbypsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:17 PM   #7
superds

I read your build thread, looking good.

I bought most of my parts over 5 years ago when I originally was going to swap the 5.0 into my 90 Ranger which I no longer have. The transmission went out one morning leaving for work so I pulled it into the shop to start on the engine swap and as I was pulling back the carpet to remove the shifter I realized the floor pan was no longer connected to the body and decided it was time to let it go. I didn't have the space, time, or money to keep dragging that pickup along. At this point I decided to put it into my B2 which had a pretty decent body but 2.8 never ran quite as well as I wanted. So I reallocated all the purchased parts and some parts of the Ranger to the B2, just needed to buy a new fuel sender, as the B2 and Ranger one weren't compatible.

I'm going to try and keep the Explorer fuel injection setup. The hardest part to overcome is going to be tricking the ECU into not caring about the lack of transmission. I don't know exactly how yet, but I'm hoping I can find a way to do it without buying a tuner, as I really don't want to spend the money.

I kept the stock Ranger A/C heater box, just extensively modified it to get the valve cover to nestle in there.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:38 PM   #8
deathbypsi
06/2012 STOTM Winner

Vehicle Year: 88
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: putting a smile on my face
deathbypsi will become famous soon enough

Just my $.02 but if your not using the Explorer auto trans I don't see why you would try and use the Ex harness and ECM just to keep the DIS. A Mustang harness and ecm whether it be MAF or SD would run it perfectly without all the headaches your facing.
88 Ranger 2.3t June'12 STOM R.I.P.
83 Ranger truggy 5.0
deathbypsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:16 PM   #9
superds

Who knows, I may end up using a mustang engine control package but if I didn't at least try it the hard way first I'd always wonder whether it was possible. Plus, if I can make it work, it'll be less money out of pocket to do the conversion since I already own all the hardware I hope to need.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:13 PM   #10
bobbywalter
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGERISH SORT OF THING
I use this vehicle for: EVERYTHING
My credo: it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
bobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to behold

bummer I never seen this back in 14.

a stang pump can/will fit in there. its a pia but will work...not that it matters now:shok but you can mod the carrier simply with clamps and barstock. run the stang pump and build a wire bulkhead with nylon tube and stainless machine bolts. run the return in the fill hose or a bulkhead fitting.

but if money is not an issue I would rather run the stock 89 b2 fuel tank and sender setup for ease of use.

you prefer the edis ignition? it will run with the manual, but have codes.

I suggest to invest into a moates 1/4 horse and hit some of their and other eec forums....tweecer and the like.
88 ranger ext cab low rider 4x4 propelled by 395 cubes of of non turbo SLOBBERIN DIESEL...BLAHHH...motating a 4l80 thats AUTHORITATIVELY turnin a ford 208 spinning 410 open dana 60s and whatever tire suits the mood that day. how ya like me now?
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote