Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions (Not for tech help - Use Help Forums further down) > 1983-2011 Ford Ranger Mini Trucks (Street)

Notices

1983-2011 Ford Ranger Mini Trucks (Street) Show of your trucks, or post your build threads. This is NOT a help forum. Post your questions in the Help Forums further down

Old 11-30-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
kttrucks

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: HD F-150 Lightning drivetrane
I use this vehicle for: daily transportation
kttrucks is on a distinguished road
Default It has begun! (Official Trucks! TV 4.6L Mazda B-Series / Ford Ranger build)

We've finally got our project truck. a black 2001 Mazda B2500 2wd single cab. The drivetrane is the engine/trans from an 03 Marauder. It will be the first show of the new season, but I'm not sure when it will air... I'll keep all posted on air dates when we have them. we're facing the typical obstacles- IE Headers, engine mounts, trans crossmember location, driveshaft but honestly it's not gonna be that difficult to do.

Thanks for a great site to look up info and see other people doing the same type of swap. I personally believe that the 4.6 rout is the way to go, and the more of us do the swap the more support there will be in the aftermarket.

More later,

KT.
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Discount Code: 01783FE29A6986 Expires: December 30, 2018
Old 11-30-2009, 11:29 PM   #2
baddad457

Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Ranger
Vehicle Model: Supercab
baddad457 will become famous soon enoughbaddad457 will become famous soon enough

baddad457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
281Ranger
September STOTM Winner

Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: taking up garage space
281Ranger is on a distinguished road

KT,
Trans crossmember shouldn't have to change locations, just use the trans mount plate from a Mark VIII. Your stock Ranger/B2500 driveshaft should also work, just need to change the yoke.

Can't wait to see the show. Hopefully I have cable by then.
1998 Ranger 2WD - 4.6 dohc, Ford prototype intake, custom headers, 4R70W trans, 8.8 rear, 4.10s, trac-lok, aluminum drive shaft, Lakewood traction bars,Mark VIII guages, Explorer buckets, Mark VIII shifter, rear auxiliary fuel tank (no midship), relocated fuel door, fiberglass tonneau cover
http://281ranger.homestead.com
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2052265
281Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
sparky

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
sparky is on a distinguished road

What show and what channel? I would like to see it.
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
kttrucks

Thanks Greg! We thought we were gonna have a solid donor MK VIII Rollover victim but they found out we were "TV" and the price went out of control. They forgot that were also "CABLE" and almost broke! LOL! Ended up going with a salvage Marauder engine/trans. Actually we slotted a couple of holes on the trans crossmember and slid it foreword about an inch (collectively) and it put us right where we wanted the engine. Fits relatively snugly against the firewall. We opted for doing a little releif work on the left side firewall and keep it back as much as possible to make room for stock cooling. ( which will be barely adequate... it's temporary and just for "Phase 1")

Exhaust is the next challenge... I've got a couple of 04 Cobra manifolds to see if they'll work ( I know... probably not...) since the OP Marauder cast manifolds bulge at the wrong place on the left bank and impede the steering shaft severely.

The ironic thing is that we'll build "Phase 1" before the shows for the 2010 season even start to air... probably around April... so we'll all have to wait to see the finished deal. We're still on a shooting schedule that has us wrapped up and driving it mid Jan.

Maybe you can get cable by April? IF not I'll send you a DVD LOL!

How close is yours to being done?

KT.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:38 AM   #6
281Ranger
September STOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttrucks View Post
How close is yours to being done?
Mine has been done for about 2-1/2 years, although it's been disassembled and put back together since then.

I tried some '97 Cobra exhaust manifolds. The driver side one fit but the outlet pointed right at the frame. The passenger side manifold wouldn't fit no matter how big of a hammer I used.

Good luck with yours. I hope you make your dead line.
1998 Ranger 2WD - 4.6 dohc, Ford prototype intake, custom headers, 4R70W trans, 8.8 rear, 4.10s, trac-lok, aluminum drive shaft, Lakewood traction bars,Mark VIII guages, Explorer buckets, Mark VIII shifter, rear auxiliary fuel tank (no midship), relocated fuel door, fiberglass tonneau cover
Old 12-04-2009, 08:05 AM   #7
kttrucks

Another question Greg........ who's rear mounted fuel tank did you use? also, what fuel delivery system and how is it regulated. We're doing ours in two phazes... keeping the midship tank for the first basic swap, then g oing to rear mounted tank for weight transfer and exhaust room, along with lowering and other custom stuff...

Thanks agian for your help! BTW, I am in awe of the electronic challenge that you rose to in amting the two systems..... I have to say that we're going a different rout and using somebody's system that's designed for 4V modular swaps. It's brand new and essentially does the same thing that you have done, but with very simple connections. I am looking foreword to telling people about some of the innovations we have the chance to see in our line of work.

KT>
Old 12-07-2009, 07:30 AM   #8
281Ranger
September STOTM Winner

The fuel tank I used was the rear auxiliry tank from a '85 Ranger. Once you remove the spare tire carrier from the newer trucks, the older aux tank and all it's brackets bolt right in. I believe they were available from '83-'87. There are two different tanks, one for EFI and one for carb setups.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:37 PM   #9
red85

Vehicle Year: 1985
I use this vehicle for: making noise and burning gas
red85 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to red85

Is that Kevin Teitz I see? Cool. Welcome to TRS!

1996 Ranger XLT - 3.0 A4LD
1985 Ranger S - 306 ci/C4 (12.96 1/4)gone but not forgotten
1994 Ranger XL - 2.3T/M50D R1 (sadly retired now - Salt cancer got her)
2008 Ranger Sport - 3.0/M5OD R1

Don't ask a question if you don't want to hear the answer!
Putting brains before dollars since 1970
red85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:35 AM   #10
kttrucks

Yes! I see another lunatic from the Great White North is putting stupid power in an RBV.... cheers! We opted for modular just to up the pain-in the ass factor... and to have something to build on with a solid forced induction package that's factory developed and proven. with My Co-hosts driving skills and cred we should be able to turn some good lap times a any given autocross or street challenge event.

Thanks for the welcome... more details to come as we have them. We're off the project for a week or so until after the holidays... then back at it hardcore to get it up and running.

Later,

KT.

Last edited by kttrucks; 12-15-2009 at 08:36 AM. Reason: moron cant spell
kttrucks is offline   Reply With Quote