• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Another Ranger GT ?

Golden Ranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My '88 has been sitting since 2003.

For the last three years it has been an on again off again project. For the last two months, much effort was applied to get it done.

Now it runs and drives. It hauls the dirt bikes and gear to motorcycle events like a truck should!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Real good job.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Golden Ranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks!

This project is the result of at least five talented people besides my efforts.

I'm not listing specific components or suppliers because they were my choices. You mileage may vary.

Its been on the road for a couple weeks. Driving every day to work with multi state weekend runs.

Where to start?

The fuel system was in terrible condition from sitting so long. The gas tank was full to the cap when parked. It still rusted. The entire fuel system was replaced with new components.

Stock suspension height was retained as this is first and always a truck and needs to transport cargo. The suspension was refreshed with new items that had degraded over time, even the OEM ball joints. Traction bars were added to reduce spring wrap / wheel hop. The factory front and rear anti sway bars were retained. Now the suspension is really stiff with hardly any body roll. The ride quality improves dramatically with 400+ pounds of cargo in the bed.

The brake system was another total rebuild. Drilled and slotted rotors with better pads and stainless steel braided lines were installed.

The interior was and is in very good condition with all guages working. The only item replaced were the aluminum door sill plates that were oxided.

The exterior was in great shape - in appearance. Disassembly revealed some body work would be required. Fixing / replacing sheet metal was limited, but time consuming.

The stock color, Colonial White, was retained for the body panels. The OEM lower molding brackets were reused with under coating sprayed every where including my hair. Line-X was applied to the bed and tailgate.

All of the weather stripping and window seals were replaced. NOS mirrors, fog lamps, door handles were installed.

The stock GT exhaust tip was retained for sentimental reasons. The hood was cut and braced to bolt on the '68 GT fast back B pillar louvers for under hood cooling. The 2015 Mustang strobed hockey stick graphics were special ordered for color, height, length, and text. They required additional modifications to fit the body contours of the old ranger.

The stock aluminum wheels were removed and stored away the first week I owned the truck. Used aftermarket wheels were installed and fared poorly in storage. I refinished them in a dark gray to mimic oxided magnesium wheels often seen on Gassers. Cause I love Gassers!

The drive train was modded for my purpose of use. Not a daily driver, but I need to haul motorcycles, parts, and camping gear over distance. It was a standard transmission and remains a standard transmission to squeeze out a bit more MPG on the highway.

So performance was weighted by economy.
Is it a stock 2.9L? NO WAY!
Is it a be all / end all 32 valve V8 on boost? Not Hardly!

I like it! It serves my current needs:
Hauling Cargo
SCCA Solo?
Occasional strip or open track day?
My wife tolerates it.
My 84 year young mother hates it! Bumpy ride and to LOUD!

Last edited:

Golden Ranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Used the truck for a camp and ride 100 mile motorcyle enduro last weekend

And hauled some landscaping waste then auto crossed it this weekend. Link: Ranger GT Autocross

Last edited:

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nice truck. When you say traction bars, what type and brand? I have Lakewood bars specifically made for the Ranger on my 98. But I would really love to get a set of bars like the ones I have on my 04 Lightning. Long bars made by Johnny Lightning Performance. These replace the spring plates and hang directly below the axle center, and then bolt to the frame about 5 feet forward, under the seats. They work a lot better than slapper bars. Also wish a pan hard bar was available for the Ranger, these really help going around the corners. The one in the pic below was custom made by a guy on LightningRodder, who unfortunately, has not been around in some time.

You can see them in this picture, hanging just below the body work.

Last edited:

Golden Ranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Your bars look GREAT!

I purchased the inexpesive traction bars from James Duff Inc. back in 2003. At the the time they also offered a heavy duty variation for 4x4 applications.

These fairly simple rods deter spring wrap. And coupled with the stock rear sway bar provide a smooth / controllable transition between rear tire grip and slide while cornering.

Here is a pic that I saved from their website all those years ago.

Edit: Found them! Classic Traction Bars, 1983-97 Ranger

Last edited:

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My Ranger didn't come with a rear sway bar. I put a Hellwig bar on it in 2002. Much bigger and heavier duty than the stock ones Ford provides. I replaced the end links and the body mounts, both front and rear, this year, with Energy Suspension polyurethane stuff. Big improvement in handling. Sourced it all from Auto Zone.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals