• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need some information about 2.3L turbo crank!

evanesce69

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've bought a 2.5L sohc from a 97 Ranger that had two pistons grenade. Fortunately the block cleaned up at .040" but the crank was thrashed. My ultimate goal is turbocharging this engine and replacing my 3.0L. I know the bell housings on the engines are different between the 2.3/2.5 and the 3.0L. My current 3.0L tranny needs rebuilt anyway so investing in a new 2.3/2.5L tranny is not an issue.

I know that I will need forged pistons and rods for the turbo build but what about the crank? I am curious about the differences between the turbo crank from the turbo coupes vs a standard replacement 2.5L crank. I am know the main journals are larger on the 88, but what I really want to know is how do they compare durability wise? Is a stock 97 2.5L crank as strong as the ones used in the turbo coupes? Can a factory 2.5L crank handle the increased load. I'm not looking to get crazy with the boost, but it's always an option. I'm not necessarily on a budget, but not sure if I want to invest $1700 on a billet crank???

I have no experience with these 4 cylinders and am asking everyone here for information and help. What crank are you guys using?

To keep the thread on topic I need to say that I DO NOT want a V8 swap!

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sure it wasn't a '98 Ranger?
2.5l was used from 1998-2001.5 in Rangers

2.3l Lima was turboed
2.5l is a stroked 2.3l, so same block, head and pistons but different crank and connecting rods for longer stroke
2.5l never was factory turboed so there won't be turbo cranks available, unless 3rd party makes one

But.........you can use a 2.3l turbo crank and 2.3l connecting rods to make your 2.5l a 2.3l but a stronger 2.3l for more boost

Last edited:

evanesce69

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ron- Honestly I don't know whether it was a 2.3 or 2.5. I trashed the crank because it was totally destroyed so I can't even measure the mains to see if they are large or small journal.

Are the 2.3L turbos small or large journal?
I'm assuming the turbo cranks are a sturdier casting then, but are they forged?
And if not forged, how much stronger are they over their N/A cousins?
Please forgive my ignorance here, I'm learning this 4 cylinder stuff as I go.

Rob

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Both 2.3 and 2.5 cranks are forged, and will support 400HP. Clean up the 2.5 crank you have or replace with another 2.5 crank. If you're not going to spin to 7500+rpm, stock rods and rod bolts are sufficient to 400hp. Above 400hp stock rods start to fail (squish) and high rpm abuse will eventually kill lower end bolts.

evanesce69

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Great!

Thanks, the exactly what I wanted to know!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
That and on the small versus large journal cranks, all Lima engines '89 and newer are small journal and are just as strong from what I hear, and a little less drag since the velocity at the bearing is lower... So all stock turbo engines are large journal...

evanesce69

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
scotts90ranger ---> Thanks for the additional information.

I don't plan on 7500+ RPM's as I mainly drive this on the street so a special crank wouldn't be needed. So I'm looking at a stock 2.5L crank with forged rods and pistons. This combination should provide plenty of strength for any future power upgrades.

Opinions anyone?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
That sounds like a good plan, will be spendy though... even 2.3L forged pistons start around $500 a set... I wish my pockets were deeper when I rebuilt my 2.3L last, it runs like a low budget build, decent but has been better...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals