• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford Considering Focus-based Pickup

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i regularly hauled 46 plus pallets on my ranger back when i was doing te bon fire party thing....early to mid 90's

drop tail gate and put 6 in.....and then 4 piles of 10. sometimes a few more.

and sometimes you needed 4 low to get to the party site.

loading up to the max short tripping stuff when y just dgaf is always an adventure

stupid....and dangerous too... hey...shit got moved to where it need to go.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
according to the manufacturer of the chinese one they can have 1,000 units prepped with US emissions and impact standard avail to ship in 30 days. or atleast thats what is says on ali express....
Kinda silly since the import tax would kill it as soon as it hit the dock.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It would make things a lot simpler to keep the box part of the body as far as rigidity goes. Like a Ridgeline.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Seems crazy to think that the Ranger ended production to eventually become a larger truck, and now they could be thinking about bringing back a smaller truck.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
This makes me think of the VW Truck that was around for a while and the Chevy LUV. Trucks for people who don't want a real truck.

Nothing wrong with that as long as that is what you want and know that is what you are getting. Me personally, even if it isn't a full size truck, I want a body on frame with leaf springs and at least a rear solid axle.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Seems crazy to think that the Ranger ended production to eventually become a larger truck, and now they could be thinking about bringing back a smaller truck.
Half tons are about the same as a 15yo 3/4 now...

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This makes me think of the VW Truck that was around for a while and the Chevy LUV. Trucks for people who don't want a real truck.

Nothing wrong with that as long as that is what you want and know that is what you are getting. Me personally, even if it isn't a full size truck, I want a body on frame with leaf springs and at least a rear solid axle.
Chev LUV/Ford Courier/Datsun 620&720/Toyota HiLux are all part of 1st generation compact trucks. Body on frame, solid rear axle and rear leaf springs.

VW Caddy/Dodge Rampage/Subaru Brat are the trio of "utes" which spring to mind - Solid rear axles under rear leaf springs but unibodies.

Jeep Comanche was hybrid in middle.

I don't know if I have an issue with considering the '68-72 Chevrolet C/K-10s or current Dodges with rear coil springs as "real trucks".

85_Ranger4x4 said:
It would make things a lot simpler to keep the box part of the body as far as rigidity goes. Like a Ridgeline.
Simple is probably wrong adjective to describe Honda making the Ridgeline rigid - there is a ton of complex engineering and formed parts in there. But yes, a continuous unibody would be stiffer than a unibody cab and the box on subframe. But the subframe is sooo much easier to design.

Jim Oaks said:
Isn't that the normal progression of automobiles, they grow in size/capability in each generation. Then after 2 or 3, manufacturers need a smaller model at the bottom again.

Classic case would be the T-bird.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
I don't know if I have an issue with considering the '68-72 Chevrolet C/K-10s or current Dodges with rear coil springs as "real trucks".
cant see an issue there.....coils, bags, leafs.... air spring conversions are quite popular these days in 350-550 classes getting over worked and long haul.

Simple is probably wrong adjective to describe Honda making the Ridgeline rigid - there is a ton of complex engineering and formed parts in there. But yes, a continuous unibody would be stiffer than a unibody cab and the box on subframe. But the subframe is sooo much easier to design.

at the size of these rigs its actually easier to split the bed skin...as they flex and bust all one piece. the amount of steel needed to make them work makes body on frame lighter and cheaper....

smaller size...you can get away with.

but they are stouter then stout compared to conventional...the old style dodge and gm vans proved you can pound the shit out of them unibody/mono setups....

for a cost effective run-about hauler....no problems here with unibody and transverse engines.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
The Courier's were total beasts. They took beatings like derby cars. They'd smoke badly and still run for years and years. Live in a city where it's sometimes necessary to hop curbs on purpose? No problem. They were slow as cold molasses and they wouldn't haul much weight, but they'd do 75% of what the average homeowner in those days wanted to do. You could still load em until bottomed out and drive em home. I have many fond memories of riding around in my aunt's Courier, beating that thing all over the county. Tough as nails.

Now they've reached somewhat of a cult/collector status like most vehicles of that vintage.

GB :)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It is going to take a lot of work either way. You can't just cut the cargo part off of an Escape and put a subframe on it with a bed. The cabin is going to need a lot of rework too. You have your subframe, is there anything on the bottom of the existing structure to mount it to?

My thought was by filling in where the rear doors are and adding something of a racerback like a Ridgeline so you would gain back a lot of the strength lost by cutting off the top. It would structurally be more similar to what is there now.

Just throwing a frame under the whole thing would add a lot of unnecessary weight because the front half is designed to not need a frame.

The Ridgeline has a lot of structure underneath but is more on par with the new Ranger for capability than this hypothetical reincarnated compact truck.

at the size of these rigs its actually easier to split the bed skin...as they flex and bust all one piece. the amount of steel needed to make them work makes body on frame lighter and cheaper....

smaller size...you can get away with.[/IMG]

for a cost effective run-about hauler....no problems here with unibody and transverse engines.
I am thinking more El Camino sized rig, basically a stretched Escape with the rear top cut off. Not the old 60's Ford unibody trucks.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Chev LUV/Ford Courier/Datsun 620&720/Toyota HiLux are all part of 1st generation compact trucks. Body on frame, solid rear axle and rear leaf springs.

VW Caddy/Dodge Rampage/Subaru Brat are the trio of "utes" which spring to mind - Solid rear axles under rear leaf springs but unibodies.

Jeep Comanche was hybrid in middle.

Isn't that the normal progression of automobiles, they grow in size/capability in each generation. Then after 2 or 3, manufacturers need a smaller model at the bottom again.

Classic case would be the T-bird.
I might have faulty memory on the Chevy LUV then and stand corrected. I could have sworn it was unit body. I may be too young for the Ford Courier and the Toyota Hilux. I don't remember either of them. I thought about the Jeep Comanche after my post but didn't update the post. I don't consider the Honda Ridgeline a truck but a chopped and modified Honda Pilot. I remember the Subaru Brat but couldn't remember how they were built. I forgot about the Dodge Rampage.

You might be correct about the leaf vs coil spring rear end. I figure there is a reason why most come with leafs beyond more than likely being cheaper to manufacture. Less parts to go wrong or break.

There are certainly advantages to a small truck over a mid size and vice versa. I would have been fine if Ford had decided to restart the small truck but added a crew cab option. My extended cab is just cruel for anyone short of young children and better suited as added storage room over the regular cab.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
the luvs and pups i pounded into the ground had frames.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I had a 78 LUV. It most definatly had a frame. Not much of one, but it was there.

It blew up when i migrated to michigan from tennessee circa 87. Somewhere around cincinatti. Thats when i bought my first ranger (rusty #1) and continued the trip.

donaldcon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I love my mini mini truck's.

Dodge rampage
Vw truck
Suby brat (sort of)

The baja was a good thought poor design.
A 4 door loke the baja but with a 5+ ft ned thats 4ft wide at the tailgate opening would serve some purpose.

I absolutely loved my rampage but with 2 kids now a 2 seatee isn't practical. I got 35mpg with a Polaris 4wd ATV in the bed. If I could do that with. 4 seats of be tickled fancy

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals