• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Installing 5.0 Obx headers into 1998 torsion bar Ranger

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Installed 5.0 Obx headers into 1998 torsion bar Ranger

Here is my experience with installing the OBX 5.0 headers in my 1998 torsion bar ranger.
First off buy a good set of header bolts. You will not be able to use a regular bolt.
I bought a set of ARP header bolts.
Part number-400-1212
Length-1 inch
Thread-3/8-16
I used a 3/8 ratchet and extension stepped down to a 1/4 drive 3" extension with a 12 point 3/8 socket to tighten all the header bolts.
My buddy let me use his lift to do the work and it was extremely helpful. He helped me out a lot with the install also.

Ok, here we go.
Passenger Side Manifold Removal

First thing we did was remove the front wheels and inner fender wells from the truck. It is a few 8 and 7mm bolts to get the fender wells down. The passenger side has one 13mm nut to remove. Once they were out of the way there was a lot more room. After that I dropped the collector bolts out from the bottom with little effort. There are 4 and they are 15mm heads. I had to drop my trans bracket to get to the exhaust hanger bolt to give me some wiggle room. Once that was done I went back to the passenger side and started to remove plug wires and spark plugs. Next I removed all of 8 of the exhaust manifold bolts. They have 14mm heads. There is one manifold bolt behind a heat shield with three 8mm bolts holding it on.
The manifold slid right out of the fender well with no issues. Once the stock manifold was removed I pulled the old gasket off and cleaned everything up.

Passenger side Header install

To help keep the gaskets in place I glued them to the headers with yellow weather-strip adhesive. It makes life a little easier. I had to loosen the motor mount to where the nuts were even with the top of the stud. Make sure to tighten the motor mount nuts down before you install the header to the block. I also had to cut the exposed shock stud off and bend the high pressure a/c line up an inch or so for the header to completely clear and slide in. All the holes lined up perfect. Here is my mistake that cost me lots of time. Before you install the headers make sure there is enough room from the side of the exhaust pipe and the bolt head to get a wrench on and also for spark plug clearance. I had to heat three spots and bend the pipe in for a wrench to clear. Also you need to install the 5th and 7th bolt first. I had to pull the header back from the block enough and gradually tighten those two. I ground down a wrench for the bolts behind the pipes and used a pry bar to get my final turns out of them. My other major issue on the passenger side had to bend the pipe back to be able to get a spark plug socket on the number 2 plug. Once that was done we installed all of the plugs, insulated, and zip tied wires for routing as needed. I wrapped the number 2 plug boot with titanium header wrap and haven’t had a problem. I also added some adhesive backed thermo shield on my power booster and evaporator housing.

EGR TUBE INSTALL/DELETE

The supplied egr tube was too short and the old one was too long. We installed the supplied egr tube by screwing the nut to the header side all the way down and tightening the egr side nut to where the egr valve was lined up with the intake... Once we had the positioning down we took a buckeye and sliced the tube about 70% through. This allowed us to twist the tube and match the egr better to the back of the intake. We pulled it off and brazed everything up. We installed the tube and realized that we needed another gasket to seal the air gap because it was a hair off. So I got pissed off and just blocked the port on both sides. There is your delete. For now I am going to leave it off. I will deal with it later.

Driver Side Manifold Removal

I disconnected the steering shaft. It is one bolt and it just flops out of the way. Removed the two 13mm bolts holding the heat shield on the back of the a/c compressor it gives you just enough room to get to the first bolt in the manifold. Removed the dipstick out of the block. There was one bracket on the last bolt that had to be removed which had nothing attached to it so it wasn’t a big deal and was easy to take off. After those few things I removed all the bolts and pulled the manifold out.

Driver side Header install

Before we installed the driver side we heated a couple of pipes so we could get a wrench on. Once satisfied installation began. I have to say a little wiggling and it went right in. I checked that all of the plugs cleared the pipes and they did. If I remember correctly the 2nd and 8th bolt had to be started with the header slighting away from the block. The only way the 8th bolt went in was without the washer. Other than that a socket went on all the other ones. I installed the bolt on piece last. It went right together. After that the plugs and wires were installed and routed and insulated according. I used some titanium header wrap on the pipe closest to the firewall were it was touching the insulation. We fired it up and no leaks anywhere. YAAYYYYY!

In total it took 13 hours to install these. A few hours could have been saved.
1 hour was from my buddy dropping a header bolt down my exhaust pipe. We had to cut the pipe out and reattach with a sleeve.
2 Hours were spent on the egr tube. Which if it would have fit right and you were going to delete it anyway then take these two hours off.
I spent around 10 hours on actually installing the headers themselves including routing and insulating everything. I expressed my disappointed with having to heat and bend some pipes to my buddy in which he replied. (Son, I’ve been doing this for 50 years. There has been many times I’ve had to modify something on a header when installing them. That is why they are custom.) So this made me feel a little better.

At the end of the day was it worth. After driving the truck for around a 100 miles so far I will say yes. The torque is constant through the gears and dang you can feel the performance increase. These headers really opened this engine up. I hope this write up helps someone.

Last edited:

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Some Pics

Attachments

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Nice write up and pics! 10hrs kinda sucks but really not bad for what you get in the end, so this shows most people should be able to tackle it over a weekend and still drive to work on monday.

The 2wd frame gives you sooo much more working room and the cross member is slimmer, the driver motor mount location is less bulky, and you don't have any of that upper shock tower on top of the frame in front of the headers to contend with, so it should shave a few hours off and some struggle.

You mention you can feel a power difference, but how would describe the sound difference? Since it seems you kept the rest of exhaust system the same as you had it before, it should be a good A/B comparison of how much different they were if any.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I am running a flowmaster 50 series dual in dual out. It has a deeper tone at idle now. I got a mild cab tone before the headers. It was a muffled tone when I would get on it(no deep sound). After the header install there is a deeper tone inside the cab and you can really her the header tone under the hood. More of that sweet engine load up and go sound. Conclusion, I can hear the duals really well inside the cab now but it is not annoying by far.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Update. I am getting about 17.5 mpg to and from work up about 1.5 mpgs. Before when city driving I would get around 15. I am up to 16.5 to 17 depending on how I drive in town. I have not had a chance to get on the interstate to test. I just do not travel on it that much. Whenever I do I will make sure to post the results. I really do believe I need to by a tuner and get a custom tune installed to really open up the full benefits of the headers and the engine in general. I will probably do that next tax season.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
There's a 15% coupon on eBay today, so I could get a set of these for $410 shipped. So tempting, but it's really not in the budget.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
There's a 15% coupon on eBay today, so I could get a set of these for $410 shipped. So tempting, but it's really not in the budget.
Dang. That is a good deal. Sucks you can't get them right now.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I could do it without putting them on a credit card, but it would almost certainly prompt a domestic dispute when my wife looks at the bank account. As it is, I've already ordered a harmonic balancer, cam synchronizer, and a set of body mount bushings that really should have waited till next month.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I could do it without putting them on a credit card, but it would almost certainly prompt a domestic dispute when my wife looks at the bank account. As it is, I've already ordered a harmonic balancer, cam synchronizer, and a set of body mount bushings that really should have waited till next month.
Yeah, that hill probably isn't worth dying for.

I will say I have noticed building my truck was a lot easier when I was single...

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Definitely not in my case.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Man, I hadn't looked too hard into this, but the Onion (my explorer) could really use the extra exhaust flow... especially after it gets a cam and such... next time I get an ebay email for a discount I think I'll pick up a set...

Anyone notice there's a new option out there? Looks like Maximizer has a set that looks EXACTLY like the OBX and even comes from the same city in CA and some auctions are cheaper than OBX... google isn't showing any results on these.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I paid 454.00 shipped to the house for the obx headers.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I think they're all the same product from the same vendor. Just have to compare prices and buy from the cheapest vendor. Prices seem to change almost daily.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals