• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Advice installing 4 in. Skyjacker class 2

RedwoodRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I've been creeping around here as a visitor the last 2 years, its nice to finally come out of the shadows lol. Anyway, in a few days I will finally be ordering a skyjacker class 2 system to lift my 92 ranger 4x4 super cab :yahoo: Been thinking about it since I bought the truck almost 3 years ago.

I am looking for any advice from folks who have installed this system (especially on a second gen). Any tips/tricks specific to this lift/truck that will make it easier.

I know I will need: Pitman arm puller, extended brake lines (rear too?), HS25 spacers possibly to level/align, and a 1 piece driveshaft from a newer super cab ranger to deal with vibration, a few days off work and a buddy to help :icon_thumby:

I have read a lot of articles already about the TTB alignment issues, but hopefully that won't be an issue with the skyjacker pitman arm and a competent alignment shop. I will likely be getting the adjustable caster bushing too.

Anything else? I am going to be ordering the system here in a few days and want to make sure I have all the parts before I dive in. I have never worked on a suspension before, but I am looking forward to figuring it out!

Thx

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I just installed the 6" class II kit and was able to get aligned using the OEM caster/camber bushings. I think Skyjacker designed the radius arms and drop brackets to maintain the proper geometry. The drop Pittman arm is to help minimize bump steer.

Read the tech articles about ttb steering and also the ones about installing the Skyjacker kit. That gave me a lot of good info. There might be one or 2 helpful tidbits in my build thread also and there are some other good build threads on this forum. Read as much as you can.

Soak all the related fasteners on your truck with PB Blaster a few times over the course of a week or two before you start. I found PB Blaster to work better than WD-40. Get access to a torque wrench that goes up to about 200 ft-lbs.

Eric B

RedwoodRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the advice Eric!

Yeah, I've read those tech articles too. Great info.

I checked out your build, nice truck! I know you did it over a long time, but as far as just installing the lift, how long do you think it would take? I have about 6 days off to work on it, but I am worried since its also my DD.

How was the kit parts, did they line up pretty good. I saw you mentioned the radius arm needed to be grinded down, but that's not a big deal.

Good idea swapping the steering gear box. I think I'm going to do the same thing. Mines been leaking the last 2 years even though I replaced the pump and all the hoses.

Did they rear tire bounce come from a bad new skyjacker shock? I didn't see the follow up on that. Just curious now.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
If you're well prepared and everything goes well, it could be done in A day or two. Since I was doing a lot of other work, I had to deviate from the directions and wait for other things to get done, like regearing the diffs, etc. The directions appear to be well written, maybe a little bit vague in one or two places, but good overall. The parts are well made and mostly fit as they should. No major issues.

The grinding I did was on the back of the driver side axle beam. Not on the radius arm. There is a lip around the hole on the back side of the axle beam. That lip sticks out too far and interferes with the proper fit of the radius arm. If I get a chance on Monday, I'll try to get a picture that indicates it better.

Regarding the bouncy wheel, I haven't gotten any further with that. I pulled a muscle in my lower back last Sunday and have been out of commission most of the week. Struggled through work yesterday and today and some time this afternoon it started to feel a lot better. I hope to swap the rear shocks from side to side on Monday and see if the problem moves with the shock. Then I will know for sure what the problem is.

Eric B

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
If you're well prepared and everything goes well, it could be done in A day or two. Since I was doing a lot of other work, I had to deviate from the directions and wait for other things to get done, like regearing the diffs, etc. The directions appear to be well written, maybe a little bit vague in one or two places, but good overall. The parts are well made and mostly fit as they should. No major issues.
There are plenty of us here who can answer questions for you. Go for it. You're not alone.

Eric B

RedwoodRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the encouragement! I will definitely ask questions if I need to.
:icon_thumby:

Either way I will submit some before/after photos for ppl interested when its done.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
This place lives on pictures. Most threads are worthless without any pictures.

Eric B

RedwoodRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Before...

After 4 in lift, 7/8 inches of grade 8 washers from hardware store under the front coils (I have a 4L very glad I put those in) and 31s. Oh and a 1 piece driveshaft swap from a 98 mazda B series lol

Its a little harder to load my boat by myself now, but thats the only con :icon_thumby:

I meant to post pics like 2 months ago, but I've been busy and posting pics on here is kinda of a pain.

The job was pretty straight forward, but I can't believe how tight bolts were even after PB blaster weeks in advance. I had to saw out the bolts in my leaf hangers lol Now I just need to trim more of the gas tank skid plate for my new 1 piece driveshaft. It still rubs sometimes. I hope this helps someone imagine what their truck would look like. Let me know if y'all have any questions.

neggen32

Article Contributor
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
92' 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
7"
Tire Size
33x12.5
Turned out great! I put a 4" class 2 lift on my '87 ranger a few months ago. I also have the 4.0 and extended cab and I heard a good way to keep it level is using the 6" springs instead of coil spacers under the 4" springs, but still using the 4" drop bracket holes. I ended up doing that, it worked a little too well and now my front end sits about an inch higher than the rear. I think I'm either gonna put some extended shackles in the rear to help level her out or get a fat girlfriend to ride shotgun all the time! Anyways, this job is a bit harder than it sounds at first so good job!

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Looks great!

Eric B

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Looks great! Love the second gen trucks.

What size tires are those?

RedwoodRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks everyone. My tires are 31s.

Stupid Photobucket I'm going to have post my pics some other way...

cnelson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88 MJ with 97+
Make / Model
05 GLI
Transmission
Automatic
Looks good man

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals