• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rattle During Idle with Ac On

Zander

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I bought a 97 ranger 2.3 2wd 5 Speed and it has a strange rattle when idling in neutral, but it's only audible with the ac compressor is on, and is louder if the headlights are on. So in other words it seems to be when there's a load on the alternator. And it goes away when I push in the clutch. I don't notice it when the truck is driving around. I got under the truck with it running hoping it was a heat shield or something simple but after using the old screwdriver stethoscope method the rattle seems to be loudest in the bellhousing of the transmission. Anyone have any ideas? I'm hoping someone has run across this before. I posted a video of the sound under the truck on YouTube, I'll link it below. Thanks in advance for any help!https://youtu.be/x4IT6fh6oho

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
COLD Engine
Loosen and remove fan belt from crank pulley
Spin each pulley to see if there are any obvious failing bearings

If not start engine, you can run a COLD engine for 2 minutes without the water pump, Battery Light will stay on, no alternator.

Engine bay will be very quiet with no fan, see if you can ID the rattle
If no rattle then problem is a component being drive by fan belt, so check each again
Shut off engine as soon as possible, no use running it if no rattle

bellhousing rattle can be starter motor gear not retracting all the way, its loose and hitting ring gear now and then

Last edited:

rednik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I also have a 97 2.3 2wd 5speed that rattles I’m neutral with the ac on. I used to have the equivalent 93 an it did the same thing. My theory is that it was the input shaft bearing since hitting the clutch while in neutral would allow it to stop. It never really bothered me much since both of mine weren’t perfect an had worse problems lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zander

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I also have a 97 2.3 2wd 5speed that rattles I’m neutral with the ac on. I used to have the equivalent 93 an it did the same thing. My theory is that it was the input shaft bearing since hitting the clutch while in neutral would allow it to stop. It never really bothered me much since both of mine weren’t perfect an had worse problems lol.

Interesting. I didn't have time to do any testing today but will tomorrow. I'm just worried that if it's something like the input shaft bearing that it'll fail on the interstate when I'm far from home. I was hoping that someone would comment that had the same issue but figured it out lol.

rednik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I was too for a bit but it's been 20k since I noticed on my 97 And I put 10k on my 93 with not issues. I'm due for a clutch soon so I'll check out the trans more than

Zander

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sorry about the delay I finally got around to taking the belt off and it still does the same thing. I listened around with a stethoscope and the rattle definitely seems to be coming from the transmission, specifically near the front of the bellhousing. Any thoughts? I also have a dry bearing kind of sound all the time. It's especially noticeable when coasting in neutral with the engine off. Doesn't matter if I push the clutch in or not it's always there unlike the rattle which only occurs when the clutch is not pushed in. Anyone have any ideas or past experience with this type of thing?

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That sounds to me like it's your clutch release bearing. I'll let (ask?) somebody else chime in and tell us whether or not that's fatal. All I know is that I've had vehicles with that rattle in them in the past, and I drove them like that for thousands of miles.

Zander

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That sounds to me like it's your clutch release bearing. I'll let (ask?) somebody else chime in and tell us whether or not that's fatal. All I know is that I've had vehicles with that rattle in them in the past, and I drove them like that for thousands of miles.
If it were the clutch release bearing wouldn't it only make noise when the clutch is pushed in? Because mine only makes noise when the clutch is not pushed in and it goes away when I push in the clutch

Zander

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I noticed something else today. The rattle is also present when the headlights are all turned on at once. So it seems to me that it's the extra load from the accessories (ac and alternator) that's causing the rattle. And like before it goes away when the clutch is pushed in.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Well if you removed the accessory drive belt and the noise is still there... I would rule out the accessories. Sounds like you have it narrowed down to the bell housing area anyway.

A clutch release bearing with the clutch pedal not depressed still contacts the pressure plate lightly which is rotating at engine speed. This will make the bearing rotate at engine speed too. Once you depress the clutch pedal the release bearing is "under load" with the forces of the pressure plate pushing against it. This "load" is probably enough to make the bearing go quiet. So... release bearing free wheeling... noise. Release bearing under load... quiet.

I would start to worry about it when the release bearing makes noise under load or pedal depressed.

Zander

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well if you removed the accessory drive belt and the noise is still there... I would rule out the accessories. Sounds like you have it narrowed down to the bell housing area anyway.

A clutch release bearing with the clutch pedal not depressed still contacts the pressure plate lightly which is rotating at engine speed. This will make the bearing rotate at engine speed too. Once you depress the clutch pedal the release bearing is "under load" with the forces of the pressure plate pushing against it. This "load" is probably enough to make the bearing go quiet. So... release bearing free wheeling... noise. Release bearing under load... quiet.

I would start to worry about it when the release bearing makes noise under load or pedal depressed.
OK wow I was under the impression that the bearing wouldn't spin unless the clutch was pushed in. Not sure where I got that idea. Is what you're saying true across the board with all manual transmissions? So if my truck has a bad throwout bearing then that could account for the dry bearing sound I'm hearing while coasting in neutral with the clutch pedal out right?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I think in theory the throw out bearing wouldn't touch the pressure plate until the pedal was depressed. In reality... I've replaced a few throw out bearings that made noise without the pedal depressed. Tolerances are close... everything has to have end play. Things move... contact is made... bearings spin and make noise.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals