• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Changing the belt tensioner issues

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
When I bought the truck the belt squeaked due to the tensioner not working properly so I lubed it and worked it and it lasted about a year more. Since the major repairs are done I can afford to change the tensioner now so I picked up a ULTRA-POWER 419201 tensioner but there is a difference between the ford OE and this tensioner. The lock tab that holds the back of the tensioner to the block/a/c bracket is 2 times if not 3 times the length of the original so the tensioner will not mount properly. :bawling:

My question is: Is it ok to grind down this tab so it sits flush?

Without an inspection mirror I can not tell if there is crud in the hole or not so I'm hoping someone ran across this before and knows the best way to deal with it because my instinct is to shorten the tab.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
Update and question:

My current belt tentioner has this style lock tab for the spring, basically a hump: https://www.rockauto.com/info/147/49460_VIEW 1__ra_p.jpg

Now all of the ones on Rock Auto shows a round pin like this one: https://www.rockauto.com/info/147/49220_VIEW 2__ra_p.jpg

The issue is I already purchased one that can not be modified to work properly, so that just sucks. There is nothing special about my ranger since all belt driven accessorys are OEM so I'm at a loss on why I cant order the proper one.

The hole to hold the tentioner is designed for the one in the fist pic I gave so where do I go from here?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
From the pictures... it looks as if you got the wrong tensioner. The cog is indexed wrong and also looks like the offset on the pulley is off. Perhaps it was boxed wrong?

I would take the tensioner that actually fits and head to the local parts stores and match a new one up. That's the problem with buying parts online... I like to walk out of the parts store knowing the part will fit.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
That sux. RockAuto is usually pretty good at getting the right part to customers.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
I stopped at my local Advanced Auto and all they could get for it is the round Pin style also. I plan on later today swinging by my local O'Reilly's and see what they can get. I can't tell you how many of these things I have replaced through the years and never had an issue like this.

Did they use different brackets or something that require the Round Pin style on these motors?

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
From the pictures... it looks as if you got the wrong tensioner. The cog is indexed wrong and also looks like the offset on the pulley is off. Perhaps it was boxed wrong?
The first pic I used a tentioner from the 2.5 motor to show the hump (cog as you call it) that mine has but that tensioner is not for my motor. I just wanted to show the cog that I need but the other is what I am finding everywhere else for my motor and I do not believe it will work.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
Sorry I haven't updated this issue in a while but with a bad back and hip Cold weather stops me from working on my vehicles.

I ordered a motorcraft Belt Tensioner and got the proper one and here is a pic of the original, the new motorcraft and the off brand. As you can see the motorcraft one has a peak, similar to a mountain and the off brand has a thin lock/clocking tab that looks nothing alike. This was the issue I was having. Well it is fixed now by getting an original new old stock for a replacement.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Glad you solved the issue. The problem with alot of aftermarket parts is they try to make one part fit as many models as possible. To do this they make compromises and this often ends up with the part fitting no models well or without needing modifications. That tensioner probably fit 50 other models and your truck was one where the manufacturer said "screw it, close enough..."

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals