• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Camshaft Position Sensor

Promark80

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I cannot find the camshaft position sensor. I have a 4.0 OHV Ford Ranger XLT, 5 spd. I have tried looking on the back of the block for the sensor and cannot seem to find it. Did all Rangers come with this sensor. If I finish the build will the truck run anyway, even if it wont run great?

Thanks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

No, only 1995 and up 4.0l engines had Cam Sensors

Prior to 1995 only some California sold engines had them

1994 would have an oil pump drive in place of Cam sensor/synchronizer, but its just a cap on the block, does stick up

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Welcome to TRS :)

No, only 1995 and up 4.0l engines had Cam Sensors

Prior to 1995 only some California sold engines had them

1994 would have an oil pump drive in place of Cam sensor/synchronizer, but its just a cap on the block, does stick up
Not entirely correct.

Up through 93 they didn't have them, in 94 all the Explorers, and the California Emissions Rangers got them, then in 95 with OBDII they all got them.

I am currently running the wiring and computer from a 94 Explorer 4-door, with manual trans, in my Ranger and it is set up for the sequential fire with cam sensor.

Also, FWIW, if you are looking for the instructions to install and set the timing on the cam sensor for the early one, in the Ford shop manual it is found in the engine repair section on replacing the cam. It took me a long time to find it.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals