• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1997 Installing Air Conditioning in a 302 Conversion

Harry III

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a chance to buy a 1997 Ranger with a 302 in it. I think it came from the factory with air conditioning but there is no compressor in the truck now.

Question: will installing AC in this truck be a major effort requiring major bucks?

Thank you for your help.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
It all depends on what 5.0 the previous owner swapped in. Knowing which FEAD was used will help and make the swap easier. The actual install wont be hard at all. If the factory condenser is still in the truck, your half way there. You will need a new dryer, factory ranger piece, and the factory ranger hose that connects from the dryer to the condenser. You will need a custom hose to go from the ac compressor to the dryer IF you dont have the explorer FEAD, as the explorer setup is plug n play for the electrical, fuel, and 99% for the ac system. You will need a custom hose from the compressor to the condenser regardless of the setup. Read my ranger build thread, first post. I cover the ac system as well as the entire swap in detail...

SVT

SVT

Harry III

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you ranger

This truck looks like it was set up for the drag strip. It has blue roller rockers and a 4 barrel double pumper and mallery ignition. I have not pulled the starter to get the casting numbers from the block.

The front end has a crank pulley, water pump, alt and power steering. No other brackets.

I may fabricate an ice cooler air conditioner to set on the passenger seat on those hot Florida summer days....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals