• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New to TRS. Advice on swap.

Cncproformance

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 to 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Morning. Just purchased a 88 ranger as a project truck. Its a 5 speed, 2WD with a 2.3L. I've read the tech articles on the 5.0 swap which is pretty straight forward. My plan is to keep the original 5 speed and put a carbed 347 in place of the 2.3. I was wondering if any of you have some advice or lessons learned from swaps that would help me out. I don't want to start buying parts prior to the start of the build in reference to an issue that's written in the tech article and find out that for my application it wasn't needed. Area's which I plan on changing are: rear end 7.5 to either 8.8 or 9in, body lift if needed to clear the bellhousing if not needed I have a good size hammer, 2.3 to 5.0 of course...basically the items covered in the tech article. Is there anything else???

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
First step is to forget about the stock trans, covered pretty good in recent post. http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150918
Usual manual replacement is a Mustang T-5. no lift required. Better find one of the better, stronger ones if you are planning on a 347. 8.8 is usually strong enough unless you go crazy with wide slicks.
Dave

Cncproformance

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 to 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply Dave. I'll go with the T-5. Will there be any massaging of the floor board needed for the shifter, forward or aft? I'm not planning on putting slicks on it just a nice 'street' tire.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Shifter location does move back 5-7". Some have dealt with that using a modified shifter lever or the expensive S-10 tails haft modification. TeddyZee (and others) shave some pictures showing the metal removed and new covering. Sometimes interference with bench seats, depending on their location.
Dave

Cncproformance

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 to 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Sounds good. Is there anything else I should consider? I see there are only a few types of headers I could use. I was wondering if I could use Advance Adapters SlickFit Headers 717044A. They are not listed in the tech article however, Summit Racing states that they can be used for this type of swap.

Cncproformance

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 to 5.0
Transmission
Manual
PERFECT! Thanks Dave! As you can see i'm still in the planning phase of this build. As time goes on i'm sure i'll have more questions or comments regarding the swap. Until then thank you for your time and quick responses. Have a good rest of your day and Happy Easter. :icon_thumby:

Cncproformance

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 to 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Dangerranger83. Is there a reason why I should use an explorer rear end instead of another ranger or 8.8 sedan rear end. Just curious.

Cncproformance

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 to 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Never mind, should have read the article before I asked the question...

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Disk brakes, 31 spline axles. If you get a l/s one, it will more or less need the clutches replaced. If going with an open carrier, you have more options on if you want to lock the rear or not.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Cncproformance

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 to 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Locking the rear really isn't necessary for the application. Just looking for a streetable cruiser type setup.

gsp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I run Ford Racing track lock in 8.8,,, plenty, click my build thread

Cncproformance

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 to 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Sweet build! That's basically what i'm doing minus the root style supercharger. Which crate motor did you get? You put some real money in that truck. I'll be referring to those pics for ideas. I see you used a standard style water pump and located the fan as a pusher, any fitment or cooling issues with that set up? The 8.8, funny, I just put the same diff cover with the cap reinforcements on my mustang. I have a rear end out of a police crown vic with 355's in that. I'll be looking for an 8.8 out of an explorer with 373's and i'll throw some goodies in it for the ranger. thanks for the reply and i'll post my progress as time goes on. Nice job on the build! I wouldn't change a thing! Cheers! :beer:

gsp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Sweet build! That's basically what i'm doing minus the root style supercharger. Which crate motor did you get? You put some real money in that truck. I'll be referring to those pics for ideas. I see you used a standard style water pump and located the fan as a pusher, any fitment or cooling issues with that set up? The 8.8, funny, I just put the same diff cover with the cap reinforcements on my mustang. I have a rear end out of a police crown vic with 355's in that. I'll be looking for an 8.8 out of an explorer with 373's and i'll throw some goodies in it for the ranger. thanks for the reply and i'll post my progress as time goes on. Nice job on the build! I wouldn't change a thing! Cheers! :beer:
Ford Racing 347, 8.8 from 94 Ranger 4.0 4X4, bolt in with no mods on a 1993, no issues with cooling,,, Griffin Radiator,, 93 Mustang Pulleys and parts

From and old thread:

1993 standard cab ranger: $1000
Tool Box: $100
Flat Bed: $150
Wheels tires: $650
Suspension rebuild: $500
8.8 build/trak loc/axles/gears: $650
fuel system: $250
Built WC T5: $1000
Centerforce Clutch Assembly: $450
Clutch pedal mod/quadrant/cable: $250
Crate motor: $7500
Headers: $350
Exhaust: $200
Accessory drives/pulleys/PS/Alt: $500
Radiator: $350
Relocated battery and -2GA cables: $325
hoses and oil filter kit: $100
Synthetic dope, oil and ATF: $130
Blower Holley/Air Filter/throttle stuff: $1200
Mallory dist: $400
head liner/carpet/seat covers: $400
gages: $450
Drive shaft/joints: $150
Paint: $30
Electric fan: $100
Grant Steering Wheel and adapter: $125
Mallory ignition noise suppressor: $50
Fire Extinguisher: $20
Blower and related parts $5000

Total ~$22,380

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals