• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transfer case shift motor for 2007 Ranger 4.0l 4x4?

trismckee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey everyone,

I've searched around but couldn't find a straight answer to this;

I need to replace the transfer case shift motor on my 2007 Ranger 4.0L, and I've found two parts that look like they should work: the Dorman 600-807 and the Dorman 600-931. Websites say that you need the 600-931 for the 2007 model, but do not say why. They look the exact same to me, even the wiring and connector!

I can get the 600-807 for a much better price which is why I'm asking this question to begin with. So my question is, is there a difference between the 600-807 and 600-931? I didn't think there was a difference in transfer cases for the 4.0l, regardless of year, so why do you need a different motor (or perhaps it's just a different part number to make more money?).

Any clarification on this would be much appreciated.

links:
600-807

600-931

Thanks!

trismckee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Small update: I called Dorman tech support and they were unable to provide me with the difference other than "they're for different years so there must be difference electrically inside". I'm not convinced. To me it looks like the bracket is the only difference!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well I don't know about electrical differences, but there seems to be a not insignificant difference in the dimensions, with the 931 being larger.

I would head to a parts store and see if you can get your hands on both in the same place before ordering.

trismckee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well I don't know about electrical differences, but there seems to be a not insignificant difference in the dimensions, with the 931 being larger.

I would head to a parts store and see if you can get your hands on both in the same place before ordering.
Thanks for the reply. Can you point me towards where you found the drawings / spec sheets for the two?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I found the dimensions in the Amazon listings you posted. Scroll down and they are there.

trismckee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Update

For anyone who may stumble across this thread searching for answers:

I went ahead and ordered the 600-807 - NOT the 'required' part for my 2007 truck! However, installed today (plugged right in to the existing connector) and can confirm that it works for this year of truck and likely newer years as well. I can once again use my selector switch to change between 4x4 and 2wd.

When I called a Ford dealership and spoke to a technician, he said that Ford (and in turn, Dorman) likely changed the part number in order to increase the price - they must create a new part number even just to change the price!

So, if you're stuck in a similar dilemma, the 600-807 transfer case motor works the exact same, and can be found for almost half the price of the 600-931.

Hope this may be helpful :headbang:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals