• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil pan clearance?

SheepDog

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So thanks for the help in the other thread, got my ranger up and running again. As I mentioned in my last post, I have discovered that I have a coolant leak and I narrowed it down to the timing cover. It is leaking on both sides of the cover as well as out of some of the bolt holes.

I read in my Haynes manual as well as many places online that in order to do the timing cover, the oil pan is recommended to be removed. But the manual and everyone else says that the motor needs to be raised and/or tranny removed to get the oil pan off due to clearance issues with the frame.

I was looking at mine today, I have the 2WD Edge package with the torsion bar setup. However, there is TONS of room between the oil pan and frame, at least 4 to 6 inches where the front of the pan is right over the frame bar. The rest of the pan is open and can literally drop straight down.

I see no reason the pan wont come right off, no engine lifting or tranny dropping needed. Am I missing something obvious here? I was apprehensive to so this job at first but now it looks pretty easy unless I'm not seeing something.

Sidenote, I wish I would have known this leak existed when I was doing the head gaskets, would have been much easier to do the timing cover job at that time. Now I have to tear the front of the engine off all over again.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe the torsion bar version isn't a problem. My 2 wheel drive has the control arm front (just put all new everything on Wednesday), and I've put up with a small drip from the oil pan for years because there ain't no way the pans coming off without lifting the motor.

SheepDog

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, thanks guys. Guess I have the only version of the truck where the oil pan just comes right off, lol.

Looks like I have a project next weekend!

SheepDog

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Never mind, i need to jack the motor up. The stupid oil pick up tube hangs down so far into the pan that I cant get it off. The front of the pan does indeed get stuck on the crossmember...

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
unbolt the tube.

SheepDog

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Got it taken care of. Ended up just unbolting the engine and transmission and jacking the whole power train up about 6in. Wasnt too bad at all.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Got it taken care of. Ended up just unbolting the engine and transmission and jacking the whole power train up about 6in. Wasnt too bad at all.
Just for my future reference, did you need to disconnect any AC tubes, electrical wiring, cooling hoses to jack 6"?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals