• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone have a 1987-1988 STX High Rider (T-Case Photos)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Now that I think about it I wonder if my '86 parts truck (std cab longbox) had a flange on the t-case.

I use the driveshaft for a bed divider, I think it had two flanges on it of which I robbed one of them earlier this year. Still had the small 1210 u-joints. I will check tonight, its only been 16 years since we stripped that truck.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Supercabs had the flange then? My std cab longbox had the yoke for the rear output.

Axle end of the driveshaft had the tiny pattern, I drilled and tapped the 8.8 flange to match it. Both ends had 1210 crosses.

I didn't think they went to 1310's until the second gens.
I've never seen a super cab that did not have a flange. And yeah, all of the 1st gen rear drivelines I've seen have used 1210 style joints.

My '86 standard cab long box had a flange on the rear output, my '88 short box has a yoke. '89 long bed also has a flange.

I'm sure my small sampling of 20-30 trucks over the years is not scientific in any way but I have a fairly good idea of what pieces were available.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've never seen a super cab that did not have a flange. And yeah, all of the 1st gen rear drivelines I've seen have used 1210 style joints.

My '86 standard cab long box had a flange on the rear output, my '88 short box has a yoke. '89 long bed also has a flange.

I'm sure my small sampling of 20-30 trucks over the years is not scientific in any way but I have a fairly good idea of what pieces were available.
Here is the t-case that was in my truck since the day I got it 18 years ago until this past July:

Since my late '85 std cab longbox and Jim's '83 std cab longbox both had yokes and my '86 std cab long box parts truck and your '86 and '89 both have flanges I wonder if it was a change for '86 which is also the first year Supercabs were available.

I have never been around a supercab or a std cab shortbox powertrain so I won't claim to be much of an expert on them. Not much from their powertrain is worth messing with vs what I had and aside from the axles I now have no RBV in the driveline.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
That's totally possible. Looks like yours has the u-joint straps, I assume it did NOT have a CV joint there? My '88 has a CV at that location and thus has a different yoke than the one in your picture.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I think 1986 was the same year they put flanges instead of yokes on the Bronco II BW1350's. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
That sounds about right, since the earlier B2's had normal driveshafts rather than the CV style. I think most/all '83-84 B2's for sure, probably '85 as well had rear yokes rather than flanges.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's totally possible. Looks like yours has the u-joint straps, I assume it did NOT have a CV joint there? My '88 has a CV at that location and thus has a different yoke than the one in your picture.
Yeah, no CV's at all.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Most common on the 1350 rear output is the flat flange - the nice thing about that is the driveshaft side of that is the same bolt pattern regardless of whether you have a 1210 or 1310 style u-joint - it only gets bigger on the axle end (still has a 1310 joint but larger bolt pattern.)

Short wheelbase trucks would have had the double cardan CV style rear driveshaft, hence the different t-case yoke.
Supercabs had the flange then? My std cab longbox had the yoke for the rear output.

Axle end of the driveshaft had the tiny pattern, I drilled and tapped the 8.8 flange to match it. Both ends had 1210 crosses.

I didn't think they went to 1310's until the second gens.
My '83 standard can long bed had a yoke. I swapped the flat glange from a Bronco II and a flange yoke for a 1310 u-joint. I had a new drive shaft built when I swapped in the 8.8.

I thought the BW1350 had a rear yoke on standard cabs, and a flange on extended cabs? Did all the BW1354's have a rear flange only?

That sounds about right, since the earlier B2's had normal driveshafts rather than the CV style. I think most/all '83-84 B2's for sure, probably '85 as well had rear yokes rather than flanges.

theres a shit ton of drive shaft combinations for the early trucks.

the hi-rider had the same cv joint as the shorter tk manuals...

its the 1210 style double cardan with a 1310 at the front axle.

the rears could be 1310 or 1210 depending on trans and wheel base. 2wd or 4x4...

the c5, manuals, and a4ld...combined with 4x4, 4x4 factory lifted or 2wd plus cab with bed length thrown in make for some out of control shenanigans.

only thing i can say for sure. glass headlight ext cab non hi-rider got 1210 two piece rear drive shaft if it had an automatic. and there were 3 versions of that..

the bronco 2had tulip style cv and cardan style cv with 4x4...some 2wd had single single.

Ryan oyen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Transmission
Manual
I have a fixed front yoke 1350... im wondering if a front yoke from a 1354 will work. Any ideas?

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not the best photo but this is an '89 extended cab STX Sport Rider that I pulled the factory lift off in the junkyard a few years ago. Fixed yoke 1350m. Didn't bother pulling it because I could pull 1354m's for the same price..

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals