• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 Explorer Useless Oil Fault indicator

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
This is a 2002 Explorer with a 4.6L V8.

I just had another oil level surprise. 2 1/2 quarts low. Nothing to give any hint of a problem (dash indicator) which really irks me.

I don't know if this lack of any indication a typical problem or just something unique to this explorer.

Some history...

I purchased this explorer used back in 2007 with 80K miles on it. Within a week of taking delivery, it was running odd. I don't remember what it was I noticed, but there was no indication of any oil problem. I did a basic fluids check and found the oil low. Had it towed back to the dealer and they said the oil was radically low and that the engine was shot. Used car dealer honored their warranty and replaced the engine with a salvage yard engine. That ran fine. I was concerned about lack of low indication, had oil pressure switch checked out with the replacement engine and all was fine. It never crossed my mind I would have to check the oil before the end of my first tank of fuel.

About 70K miles later in 2011 I was making a left turn, no hint of engine problems I heard a distinct tap tap tap (just three). The fake pressure guage hooked with the switch never moved off center. I checked oil at my destination just a mile down the road. The oil level was not showing on the stick. I poured a quart in, still nothing. I put a total of four quarts in and just got an indication on the bottom of the stick.

And too late, while it had not made a single extra tap between that turn and when I stopped, after having gotten oil in it, the tap returned and got worse and worse and required major engine work again. And why was it that low on oil to begin with? Apparently at the last oil change I had done they torqued the oil plug too much and stripped it so it was leaking slowly even when I wasn't driving it. Parked over dirt with other oil marks I didn't pick up on it.

So with this last instance, is there some indicator missing that might signal before it gets so low? Or is the oil pressure switch set at such a low pressure threshold as to provide zero warning before engine damage?

On one of my old BIIs it went thru oil and if it got low, at idle with the engine hot I would see the red idiot light flicker. I once even had an oil filter spring a leak squirt the oil out so fast that just seconds after the first flicker of the light all the valves were tapping away. Far worse than anything I heard out of the 4.6L and putting oil back in, it was fine. I guess the 2.9L just let me be sloppy in a way the 4.6L (or any other car/engine) I've ever had.

I know I am far from good with this stuff, but I know I am better than many. Shouldn't an idiot light (or idiot gauge as in the case of this explorer) provide some useful benefit for an idiot?

On our 99 Ranger we plumbed in a actual gauge to read in parallel with the idiot gauge because it kept not-reading anything at times.

Would doing this be any benefit with the 4.6L? If it was down a couple quarts would that show in an actual gauge? Or is the engine design such that pressure alone is not a good indicator of the lubrication status and it again be possible with this 4.6L to see no abnormalities in pressure and suddenly get tap tap tap?

If there is benefit, we will figure out how to get a real guage in there.

If there should be another warning or maybe the pressure switch is insensitive, that be good to know.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I check my oil weekly on vehicles I know, daily when they are new to me. You CANNOT rely on an oil pressure gauge, whether it's a real pressure sensor or just an idiot light because by the time it shows a problem it's too late, as you have found out.

Richard

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
An oil pressure gauge or light is good to have but as alwaysFlOoReD said, when it shows a problem the damage has started, even immediate shutdown of the engine doesn't always prevent damage.
And generally you "hear" an oil pressure problem before you see the guauge or light, so.......

What has been used for years and seems to work fine is an oil level sensor on the oil pan, I am surprised your 2002 doesn't have this.
This would turn on a light when oil level was down about a quart, so before any damage could occur.
If you do have that "low oil level" light on the dash then sensor on the pan might be bad or bulb is burned out, it should come on with the key then go off if oil level is OK.
Or you could retro fit one.

Last edited:

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I guess I just got lucky for many years for all the times low oil level either caused a light to flicker or resulted in tapping I didn't have major damage till this explorer.

I don't know if I have every had a vehicle with an oil level sensor. I always thought the oil lights on the vehicles I had were wired to pressure switches.

If this Explorer is supposed to have one it certainly isn't working....

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, oil light would be from a pressure switch, below 5psi closes the switch so light comes on, engine running with above 5psi oil pressure opens the switch so light goes off, so oil light should come on with the key and stay on until engine is started, and psi goes above 5psi.

Ford oil gauge also uses a switch but it is the opposite, it is open with key on engine off, starting the engine and getting above 5psi cause the switch to close which powers the gauge and it shows "normal" oil pressure.
If this type of gauge changes needle position you probably have a problem with the alternator or battery, lol, voltage change would change needle position :)

If you have both then oil light would be on a relay.

Found an interesting post at another forum, hope link is OK to post here.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283383

There is a link in this thread for another thread with pictures of the wiring issues on this model.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you are not going to check it with a dipstick you may as well just wait for it to make noise before you worry about it. An oil pressure guage no matter how it is activated won't be any more accurate of a way to measure oil level.

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the link Ron. It definitely isn't an issue on mine, but mind has suffered another issue related to the wiring harness. I work with wiring quite a bit and it has amazed me how much wiring harnesses in many things have migrated to thinner gauges and been subject to breakage.

If you are not going to check it with a dipstick you may as well just wait for it to make noise before you worry about it. An oil pressure guage no matter how it is activated won't be any more accurate of a way to measure oil level.
Agreed. I just wish for a something to give a clue the oil level is grossly off (like 2 quarts or more down) before catastrophic damage like every other vehicle I have ever owned before this Explorer.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The difference between your old BII and your 4.6 Explorer is that the 2.9 in your BII had an actual oil level sensor in addition to the pressure switch, and so if you got a quart low the level sensor would flip the light. Your 4.6 doesn't have a level sensor. You gotta check the oil manually.

The level sensors were deleted to remove a point of potential leakage.

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
You know, I can imagine you guys muttering to yourselves "why she keep going on bitching about the sensor to protect herself from her own stupidity, just check the damn oil!!!". lol

I guess having driven mostly older cars in the 100K+ mile range that leaked oil (and I am sure burned some too) where I was always was having to check and add oil plus several catastrophic events causing oil loss quickly, I just got so many reliable secondary hints that I had low oil and never lost an engine to low oil whereas this Explorer just silently gets into trouble. Doubly so because it doesn't routinely lose oil. For two years it hasn't lost enough oil between changes that I had to add any, now suddenly out of the blue it is down. I suppose it starts sometime.

The difference between your old BII and your 4.6 Explorer is that the 2.9 in your BII had an actual oil level sensor in addition to the pressure switch, and so if you got a quart low the level sensor would flip the light. Your 4.6 doesn't have a level sensor. You gotta check the oil manually.
I hadn't known this, but it is good to know. It does explain one mystery I had many years ago in my 88 B2 as well. I did once get a light that came on in the central area indicating to check oil. I had never seen that light come on before or after. The shop manual says it should come on when turning ignition to start as a "bulb prove out". In the 87 B2 I have now I can see it in the stencil lower right, but it definitely does not come on momentarily for a prove out and I never remembered that in my 88 either.

In any case, the light in the B2 that gave me hints oil was low (by flickering momentarily at low idle) was the one wired to the pressure switch, just once it was that oil level sensor.

Before I got my original 88 B2 I was driving a 72 Chevy Malibu and 79 Buick Regal, both of which leaked oil like a sieve and gave similar hints in the oil pressure if I let it slip too far. Maybe I just am getting too old and don't understand this newer stuff which is in part why I have liked my old B2s better than any of this newer stuff I have driven.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals