• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

When the local pick and pull's interchange system blows chunks

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Interesting afternoon.

Hit the local pick and pull just for a couple of tiny items. (pulley and belt tension)

Left the yard with a full rear hatch/gate! Found a 1996 Explorer sport that was actually in darn good shape. Almost no rust!! (I've not a clue why this is sitting in a salvage yard?)

So the wife noted the rear hatch, missing the glass hinges, with the glass floating in the breeze. Same color as ours. I did note a couple of minor differences and decided to grab it-as well as get the glass support hinges figured out as I figured that was the only difference. And as a bonus? The interchange catalog stated the part was a direct swap! I actually insisted the guy at the counter verify it..not just his word "Ya..it's the same part".

Yeah....Interchange needs to have it's head pulled out of it's rear end.

Physically it bolts on. Harness (appeared) to be the same. Get the whole thing installed...and noted the tail lights are now recessed about 2" where it meets the gate. And of course the wiper motor doesn't work. Ours has 6 wires going to the motor. The new one? only has 4. Going to need to chase down the electrical to make it functional.

And of course, the interior panel where it looked the same as ours? Totally different mounting locate pins. :icon_confused:

On the lighter side, that entire gate was $42. Plus we got hit with the wiper motor for another $15.00 I might just return the wiper motor. If it turns out I'll have to run wires and 'convert' that one over to a 6 wire setup to match the truck, I'll likely just swap the motors and adapt the old arm.

Nothing is ever 'simple' or accurate on the lots.

S-

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Posted a question over in the urgent area. I will be heading back out to the yard tomorrow morning and need to pick some peoples brains regarding tail lights....

Yeah...The stickers on the truck denoting the physical year where wrong. This donation truck was 1998+ not 1996 as noted on the ID stickers.

S-

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is your Explorer a Sport too?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
yeah, theres usually more to it then that and mis identified years or split years can bring some serious change, usually gets ya like that.

and i am guilty of leaving out details i assume others will workout due to what i perceived as the obvious..

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Interesting afternoon.

Hit the local pick and pull just for a couple of tiny items. (pulley and belt tension)

Left the yard with a full rear hatch/gate! Found a 1996 Explorer sport that was actually in darn good shape. Almost no rust!! (I've not a clue why this is sitting in a salvage yard?)
It was almost certainly there for a transmission failure.

You can never tell with a junkyard vehicle, because by the time it gets there some mad genius has had a couple of decades to change things...:)

If I drove my truck to the junkyard right now and you found it there and started pulling parts.. you'd subsequently be reduced to babbling confusion...

But in general if you find a Cosmetically perfect vehicle in the junkyard you do not want to buy the engine or auto trans from that vehicle....

The perfect junkyard engine donor either has the telltale marks of hitting a tree or utility pole, OR a serious case of road-rash on the sides or roof...

But finding a disassembled automatic transmission in the back seat is also a positive sign that you might want the engine...

Years ago when I was still running a 2.9 engines in my truck all my replacements came from auto trans Bronco2s.

My 4.0 engine donor was a 1993 Explorer with severe impact damage
(it had been T-boned on the drivers side)

AD

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I found a PERFECT 5.0 Mountaineer in a JY, engine was clean enough it eat off of.

It had dealer plates on it... I think it was lot rot. They had a ton of dealer plated cars in there that day.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
It was almost certainly there for a transmission failure.

You can never tell with a junkyard vehicle, because by the time it gets there some mad genius has had a couple of decades to change things...:)

If I drove my truck to the junkyard right now and you found it there and started pulling parts.. you'd subsequently be reduced to babbling confusion...

But in general if you find a Cosmetically perfect vehicle in the junkyard you do not want to buy the engine or auto trans from that vehicle....

The perfect junkyard engine donor either has the telltale marks of hitting a tree or utility pole, OR a serious case of road-rash on the sides or roof...

But finding a disassembled automatic transmission in the back seat is also a positive sign that you might want the engine...

Years ago when I was still running a 2.9 engines in my truck all my replacements came from auto trans Bronco2s.

My 4.0 engine donor was a 1993 Explorer with severe impact damage
(it had been T-boned on the drivers side)

AD

LOL, I hear that... Our 4.0 OHV has a mystery 'knock' that only happens once things get warm. I traced it back to the exhaust manifold. While it was knocking away (good oil pressure too) I had my stechascoope thingie that I can never spell... All over the bottom of the engine. Rotational sounds and I could hear the oil pickup sucking up the new oil.. Quiet otherwise...No signs of any knocks. Which means rods/mains are good, and likely nothing slamming into a piston, as that would resonate right into the oil pan... Hold the probe to the manifold and it's clear as day!

That's the mystery on that one... It actually runs decent for over 230k on it.

S-

4EyedTurd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've learned my lesson on pulling motors. Last one I pulled was from a decent shape Tbird, turned out had a hole in the piston.

I went to the yard to pull a 4.0 Sohc and only found one, started tearing stuff apart and had that weird hold on a minute feeling. Explorer was in great shape... so I passed on it not wanting to take the chance.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Just remember that 7 of the top 10 vehicles turned in during that stupid cash-for-clunkers program were Ford Explorers.

Which is why I was so happy to find a reasonably low mileage(140K) 5.0 Explorer...

Now to aquire a 2001-up Supercab ranger (preferably an FX4) to make the complete truck I want....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals