• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 Explorer Sport 4WD Conversion

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Picked up a rust free 2000 explorer sport last week. It's a 2wd 5 speed in really good condition overall. It does not have the monoleaf rear springs which surprised me. I bought this knowing I had 90% of the parts to convert it over to 4WD left over from solid axle swapping my 99. Here's a picture of them parked together.

Now come the questions. First off can anyone tell me for sure if this is the HP version of the M5OD-R1? From what I read it seems to be but for the life of me I can't see the top to look for the extra bolt hole. It doesn't have the extra neutral safety switch and 1st gear seems lower than other M5ODs I've driven. It has 3.27 gears but takes off in first easier than the 96 Ranger I just sold that had 3.73s.

Tag on the side

Drivers side

Passenger side, notice the blocked off hole at the top where the NSS should be

Next question. Anyone know where I can pick up a Generic Electric Module? I grabbed one from an automatic from the local junkyard yesterday but when I turn the key on the wipers came on. Then when I actually turned the wipers on the washers came on too. Fail. I knew there was a good chance it wasn't going to work but I was curious if I could at least get the transfer case to react to the dash switch.

Last question for now. If I can't get all the electronics for the 4WD system lined out would it be possible to just hot wire a switch to the famous brown wire that operated the clutch in the transfer case. I wouldn't have low range but I'm not too concerned with that for now. I know I could just get a 1354 transfer case and do it all manual style but I'm trying to use all my old parts from the 99 if possible.

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did some GEM number checking and this is what I've come up with based on the last 2 digits of the part number on them.

AA - 4x2 1995-97

BA - 4x2 1995-97
BB - 4x2 1998-01
BC - 4x2 1998-01 or A4wdlive
BD - 4x2 1998-01 or A4wd-Live?
BG - 4x2 1995-97
BF - 4x2 1995-97

CA auto 4wd 1995-97
CB auto A4wd 1998-01
CC auto 4wd 1998-01
CC auto 4wd(L) 1998-01
CD auto A4wd 1999-01 4.0
CF auto 4wd 1998-01
CH auto 4wd 1995-97
CK auto 4wd 1995-97

EA auto 4wd 1995-97

FA - 4x2 1995-97

JA auto A4wd 1998-01

Most of this makes sense aside from some random ones. Why are there two different CC? Difference between 4wd, 4wd(L) and A4wd? I'm going to try the one out of my 99 when I get a chance. I'm assuming it will be either a CB or CD. Any insights into which one I should be keeping an eye out for?

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Pulled the trans out and it does not have the extra bolt hole so I assume it isn't the HD version. Still curious as to why 1st gear seems so low in it. Also picked up a donor 99 sport 4x4 5 speed for parts. Hopefully start going back together with everything this week/weekend. Not sure how much wiring I'll have to use from the donor but it looks like most of it is already there.

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Broke 3 of the 4 collector bolts off in the exhaust manifolds so I used that as an excuse to buy some headers.

Saw a post by PlumCrazy that recommended adding a vent to the M5OD trans to help with fluid blowing by the shifter.

Got the trans/transfer case in and drove it around a little to make sure everything was good before I tear the front end down to do the actual 4wd conversion. I decided I'm just going to regear a front diff to match the 3.27 gears in the rear. I plan on using this as a daily driver so the higher gears should help fuel mileage a little. Farming season is here so there most likely won't be much progress except for raining days for the next month or so.

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Went and picked up a 99 sport 4x4 5 speed parts explorer. Tried the GEM from it hoping the 4x4 would just work with it. Wipers came on when I turned the key on so I guess I'm going to have to do some rewiring.

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
After calling multiple places and only finding one set of 3.27 gears for $420 I decided to just swap axles. Picked up front and rear 3.73s from the local pull-a-part. Got them to throw in the springs for free which I plan on using to make a hybrid pack for my other explorer.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
For what it's worth your "New" rear is out of a 5.0 Explorer.

The factory traction bars give it away....

Also the M5OD-R1HD trans does not have both bolt holes like the 4R55E, it simply has the one relocated hole, so if it is bolted to an OHV engine the bolt hole at the 2O'clock position does nt line up with the block so is simply left empty...

AD

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yep. Conversion went well. Ended up selling it a couple months after I built it. Working on solid axle swap on my 99 ranger now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals