• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Surging Idle When Hot

Fane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all,

Recently my 4.0 V6 OHV(1996) has been having a "surging" idle only somtimes, and only when its hot, and not in gear(auto). I had a similar problem previously, and it turned out to be an EGR valve gasket, but that threw a code. I ran my codes this morning and it had nothing, not even anything pending. Basically the issue is the RPMs bounce up and down a lot, and if i don't give it any gas it will stall. IF I do give it some gas, it eventually evens itself out, or at least raises the RPMs enough it stops doing it(if it starts trying to idle at say, 1100 RPM it seems okay). I have recently cleaned the air filter, and half the plugs are new(the passenger side ones are such a pain I haven't gotten to them yet). If it was a misfire, wouldn't it throw a code? Any ideas would be great.

Marty'70

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Possibly idle air motor

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

Fane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Possibly idle air motor

The last time this happened, I replaced that. Do you think it could be bad again? It was a year or two ago.

Marty'70

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The last time this happened, I replaced that. Do you think it could be bad again? It was a year or two ago.
Could be bad or plugged with carbon. Not an expert by far but I don't believe the idle air would throw a code. May be wrong.

Fane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Could be bad or plugged with carbon. Not an expert by far but I don't believe the idle air would throw a code. May be wrong.

Alright thanks I'll give it a go. Also, do you know if when cleaning the MAF, do you need to actually remove the housing attached to the throttle body or can you just remove the plugand the torx screws?

Marty'70

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not sure. Should be ok to just take out carefully and clean

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals