• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wouldn't go into gear when stopped

RogerRabid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 litre 4 banger
Transmission
Manual
1994 manual transmission. When I first got this truck last week, it would not go into any gear when stopped until I forced it. After reading a number of posts with similar problems, I drained the oil. It was black as coal and I only got about a litre out. I filled it up with new Mercon trans fluid (not easy to find everybody wanted to sell me Mercon V). Took it for a 10 minute run. There was a noticeable, I might even say miraculous, improvement. Shifting was not perfect but it now went into each gear with no problem. Drained the oil again, it was now almost a maroon colour, so there must be a fair bit of grunge in that oil. Will let it drain overnight, but I am confident that that the shifting will be fine now.
There is a leak at the top of the transmission, that I suspect is the shifter rail plugs, but I will live with that for a while because I can't see any way to replace them in situ. I have found this forum to be a wealth of information. Thanks to all who contribute.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Just an FYI, There is a very good reason why its hard to find Mercon. It isn't made anymore... Ford replaced Mercon with Mercon V. Mercon V is now compatible with anything that originally called for straight Mercon. Next time just grab some motorcraft Mercon V.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^, current Mercon V is backwards compatible for use in the M5OD-R1

Ranger clutches are known for getting air inside which makes shifting into any gear when stopped hard.
So watch the clutch reservoir in engine bay, keep it topped up, if it goes down then there is a leak somewhere

RogerRabid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 litre 4 banger
Transmission
Manual
I managed to get a 20 litre can of Mercon at our local Cdn Tyre. Should last my lifetime.

RogerRabid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 litre 4 banger
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^, current Mercon V is backwards compatible for use in the M5OD-R1

Ranger clutches are known for getting air inside which makes shifting into any gear when stopped hard.
So watch the clutch reservoir in engine bay, keep it topped up, if it goes down then there is a leak somewhere
When you say getting air gets in them, do you meam that the air gets into the sealed system, or just that it happens when the level drops because of a leak?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
yes and yes

the amount of fluid in the clutch system is not much. if the reservoir is too low air gets sucked into the clutch master, which is part of the sealed system. it's a bit of work to get the air out of the master cylinder.
I did that procedure yesterday, do-able but not easy.

the reservoir full mark is only half full, that rubber do-hickie displaces about 1" of fluid and spills excess out. the fluid does not go inside the rubber do-hickie.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Speaking of rubber do-hickies, I'm missing mine for my master cylinder. Anyone know the correct name and a source?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
the reservoir full mark is only half full, that rubber do-hickie displaces about 1" of fluid and spills excess out. the fluid does not go inside the rubber do-hickie.
A little cautionary tale.
Back when I first ran across a master with a rubber do-hickie, the clutch on my truck wasn't shifting properly. I checked the master and it was empty. I filled up the reservoir and bled it. Nothing came out and the fluid level didn't change. I was stumped until I finally figured out there was a gasket...it was suck so tight into the reservoir that it looked like it was part of the wall.

RogerRabid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 litre 4 banger
Transmission
Manual
Ok, Replaced the transmission fluid again this am, -6 and snowing, first snow of the year here in the bananna belt of Canada, I know, I know "poor poor pitiful me". :bawling:. Anyhow it shifts smoothly now, so that part is good.
While under the truck I noticed what appears to be a cover just above the transmission that seems to be above the shift rails. Anyone know if I can get to the plugs on the back of the shift rails if I remove the cover?
Checked the clutch fluid a few days ago it was full and there is no rubber do-hickie in the reservoir. Do I need one, or is it OK to run it like that?

Next step is the engine work, but I will post in the 2.3 section for that.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Checked the clutch fluid a few days ago it was full and there is no rubber do-hickie in the reservoir. Do I need one, or is it OK to run it like that?

The rubber do-hickie is supposed to be there to prevent moisture from getting absorbed into the fluid. I just replaced a clutch slave cylinder that I believe went bad because the rubber do-hickie has been missing since before I bought the truck. It did take over 2 years for symptoms to show up. The fluid really likes to absorb moisture from the air so I consider the do-hickie essential. I'm looking for one myself. If you find one let us know the proper name and source.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Its called the Clutch reservoir diaphragm, or "rubber cup", lol

Not available to buy separately, but does come with new Master/reservoir set

Yes, it prevents clutch fluid from contact with the air but still allows fluid to replace either lost fluid from a leak or extra fluid needed as clutch disc wears down.

Wrecking yards often have these

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
the gasket is a diaphragm and as stated is also the gasket for the cap. The diaphragm allows the fluid level to change over the life of the clutch as well as act as a vapor barrier as stated above, the less air under it the better, the fill line for fluid is roughly where there's no air in the system when the diaphragm is reinstalled if memory serves.

A little trick if the clutch isn't disengaging all the way is to (while in neutral or engine not running) put the clutch pedal to the floor and slip your foot off the pedal, repeat a few times and this gets some of the air out of the system that doesn't want to leave through conventional means (bench bleeding works great but is a pain...)

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Just an FYI, There is a very good reason why its hard to find Mercon. It isn't made anymore... Ford replaced Mercon with Mercon V. Mercon V is now compatible with anything that originally called for straight Mercon. Next time just grab some motorcraft Mercon V.

Mercon indeed is still very widely available. It is branded "Dex/Merc" now, and you can buy it at pretty much anyplace selling automotive stuff other than at a dealer.

Ford does insist Mercon V is backward compatible, but I've seen enough incidents of shifting problems with Mercon V in manual transmissions (enough times that coincidence seems unlikely) that I wouldn't chance it myself.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Looks the same as the one I just put in. Paid C$5.00 at the wrecking yard. It came out of a different style ford master, perhaps a car. The reservoir was integral with the master.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals