• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Who has done a 351w with a C6 or E40D transmission?

Jfive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Wondering who has done it, and how much hammering, or mods need to be done to the firewall. I am doing a swap this summer, and have a baby C6 right now, but might try to get a E40D, which is basicly a C6 with overdrive.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The E4OD is huge, the bellhousing is the same as a C-6 or a 164 tooth C-4, but the overall length is much longer. It holds 4 GALLONS of fluid, vs 2 for the others. It also requires a computer to run it. I just put one back into the 95 F150 I'm going thru now, I poured a gallon of fluid into the torque converter and it wasn't even half full. Nothing poured out when I turned it sideways to stab it back into the front pump. You're better off with an AOD, AODE or 4R70W for a Ranger swap. The E4OD simply is too much transmission for a light vehicle.

Last edited:

Jfive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My only issue is having something that will hold up to 1000hp without breaking the bank too bad. I know the E40D is super strong from the factory, the only reason why. I hear the 4R70W is pretty good too. Might just have to stick with the C-6 as I know it will hold up when built. I have a 8.8 rear with 3.27 gears so cruising rpm should be fine without OD, but I figured having it might make for 20+mpg at 70 with my gear set.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
are you planning on a 1000hp engine? If you are looking for a transmission of any kind, make or model to hold 1000hp it will break the bank pretty well. Like said before the E4OD is huge and is computer controlled but it has been done and a body lift is pretty much a requirement. A C6 will snugly fit without the body lift. Reguardless for high horsepower the C6 will be the cheapest way to go. If you need overdrive the added expense and such of the E4OD could trade in durability. The other transmissions are all good choices but you are going to spend tons in getting them to hold a lot of power. If the 1000hp isn't a typo then there will be a lot more to worry about than transmission choice and it isn't going to see 20mpg.

Matt

Jfive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Im doing a single turbo 351w efi, so I think 20ish should be doable. Thats whats great about turbo efi stuff. I know a guy with a 700rwhp with tons of convertor slip LS1 camero that gets 25mpg on the hwy. His car is light compared to most of its year, arond 3200 with no one in it, and figure I will be about the same. He has 347 cubs and I have 357 or less depending on how much it needs bored. 1000hp is fwhp also not rwhp. Might be more like 800 to 900, but won't know till its done. Looking at stock block, possible half fill with block filler, stock crank or forged, h beam rods, 215cc alum heads, efi super victor intake, 90mm or bigger throttle body, 80lbs injectors, Have a 76mm turbo looking at upgrading it to 83 or 88mm. Large T6 frame. Been following others builds to get to where I want to be. Looking for mid 9s. Read this guys build from beginning to end and using some of the things from his to do mine, as well as others. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E693N0XPNx4 Have alot of the beginning parts allready. In the process of making, getting engine mounts and have the engine and tranny ready to come out together.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I fail to see why you're concerned about getting 20 mpg after spending what you will on that motor combo. If you can afford that, you can afford whatever the fuel mileage will be. nKinda like someone buying a $100,000 car then not being able to afford to drive it.

SAY789

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
3"BL i beat that fold over but did not need to after i mocked it in. Plenty of room for the C6 to fit. Only mod i had to do was heater box for the 351 valve covers.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
I kinda figured that's where this was going. Stock block on this kind of power isn't going to cut it. You are looking to need a main and lifter valley brace and pray it holds together. Forged crank is a must, even the aftermarket steel ones are rated at 500hp. If you are filling the block don't even worry about any kind of milage, the engine isn't going to be good for the street due to heat issues. But as far at transmissions, for a strip vehicle C4 or C6 is the easy choice you don't need overdrive. You can build a C4 to handle it but you are going to replace a lot. It's lighter and consumes less power. C6 is stronger from the start and will hold more power. As far as you LS buddy it depends on his transmission. If he's running an overdrive with a lockup converter mpg in the 20s isn't a big feat. I have seen plenty of builds similar to this and engine reliablity is always the issue which is why I keep mine off the boost. In reality if you are looking for 9s it can be done on engine alone. Power isn't the issue it's traction.

Matt

Jfive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have done my home work on this trust me. 351 are alot stronger than you think. My friends car has a TH400 with plenty of convertor slip. Its allright if you think I am confused. I guess the only way to make you a believer is to finish this project. Plenty of guys have done 800hp with stock cranks, and some with stock rods. That should impress you to what a ford can do. I am not gonna do a girdle as I've been told I don't need one. Currently I have a 78 block, but might get a 94 to 96 block, as many have good luck with them too. Main thing is ARP studs for mains, and heads. Proper bearings, clearances, ect. There is a guy out there with 600 rwhp through a 94 to 96 stock bottom end 184K on it. Did 10.88 in a 4600lb truck. Its fine if you think I am crazy. Thing is I will be at my hp level with less dollars than most of you take to get to less than half. Most exspensive parts are the tuning device, and cylinder heads. Looking at a set of good forged dish pistons, eagle forged H beam rods, stock crank or cheap forged one. I might stop at the 800hp area. If so the stock crank has done it many times. If I do go past that, then forged crank it is. Isn't there a few guys on here with turbo 351s. Heck did you see the 800+rwhp 302, stock block I posted. That thing should have split even in my eyes, but hasn't. I'm being smart and sticking with the better 351ws.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'll believe it when I drive it....

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Heck did you see the 800+rwhp 302, stock block I posted. That thing should have split even in my eyes, but hasn't.
Gee, that musta got deleted somehow. I did a search of your posts here (all 11 of them) and nothing remotely like that turned up. :dunno:

Jfive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Post #5 towards the bottom. Its a youtube link. Something about the format of this forum, doesn't let the video show or something. Its all good.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
If you want me to notice it, post it. Don't post a link to something. Same goes for people who're too lazy to post ads, don't post a link to your ad on some other site.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

LIL-FORD

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 ranger bod
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
How did you so your shift cable mine seems way to long for the first gen

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals