• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Opinions needed, possible truck purchase

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
My 97 F250 has pissed me off for the last time, so im thinking of offing it in favor or a newer truck.

Im looking at mid 00s super dutys, reg cab/long boxes.

I really want a V10/6sp, but they are impossible to find in the configuration i want.

So my question is...how would a 5.4L do towing a 7000 lb travel trailer? Im pretty dead set against an auto. Im not dead set against a 5.4L if itll do the job. Ive had 5.4s in the past but they were early ones (pre 99) coupled with autos, and never really towed over 4 or 5k with one.

I know it wont pull like my 97 460, but any input is apperciated.

Kurt.king870s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think it would do the job, but it would be a pretty big job for it if you need to be able to get around good. If you only haul heavy stuff a couple times a year, I think it might be a good option.

Personally if I wanted a full size ford tow rig, i'd go for a 7.3 with a zf5. In fact, I want to get one at some point. If you get a ts5 or ts6 you'll be able to get above 16 mpg empty (if you keep your foot out of it) and it would have enough torque to tow 10,000+ lbs.......my best buddy has a 7.3 with a E4OD, stock tune and straight pipe, and it tows better than a 6.0 chevy gas, but not as good as an 05 duramax. And with a manual, it would do it alot better......again, this paragraph is all opinion, so nobody go hating too hard.

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I only tow it maybe 3-5 times a year. Otherwise it might tow a couple lawn mowers, or a 2horse trailer.

Im not after a 7.3 mainly because what id pay for a tattered diesel truck would buy me a rather nice gas truck, plus im not a fan of the higher maintenence costs and other little diesel annoyances.

I thought about jumping ship to GM, but i dont like 3/4tons with independent front ends, and the 03-07 silverado are some of the ugliest trucks on the road

Kurt.king870s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I only tow it maybe 3-5 times a year. Otherwise it might tow a couple lawn mowers, or a 2horse trailer.

Im not after a 7.3 mainly because what id pay for a tattered diesel truck would buy me a rather nice gas truck.
If you don't pull it often , i'd say that a 5.4 would probably be fine. I've heard some good stuff about them. A 3/4 ton pickup would pull nicer, but get worse fuel economy.....so if it's within the rated capacity, I wouldn't be afraid to do it with a 1/2 ton. Just make sure to get a sway control hitch, they work wonders on a windy day.

I understand the frustration that comes with diesels.......but I tow logs quite a bit with a pickup, and when the trailer weighs 10k-15k, nothing can beat a diesel......but again, if you don't do heavy hauling much, it isn't worth it.
Good luck. I hope what you decide to get works good for you..:headbang:

Last edited:

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
The 5.4 will do fine for a few times a year and around the 7000lb mark...weather in a f250, f350 or f150.
The f250 & f350 tend to come with more tow friendly gear ratios, like 4:10 or 4:56, etc.

so "IF" you would go to a f150 then the chore becomes finding one with 4:10 gear ratio, or putting in different gears and some heavy duty shocks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals