• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

back spacing?

kkester68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im building an 88 single cab short bed. im goin to a 3/4 with beams and a flip kit. i want to put 17" by 9" torq thrust wheels on it. my question is what back spacing do i need to get on my wheels so they down rub the fenders. also what tire size would you recomend?
this truck will be my daily driver. so im not goin to extreme for a little while.

thanks

kelly

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
I don't think the OEM rims have changed over the years so: the stock rims run 4.5" of back spacing. That will get allow clearance for the inside. You can run more, and people have run 9" wide rims up front and tucked them. Clearing your fenders will be a different story.

I measured my truck my self for the rears that I want. You can do the same with your fronts. Mock up your rim/tire combo, cut a piece of wood to your overall size tire/rim combo and bolt it to your rotor. Now tape some string with a weight at the bottom (plumbob) to your outer most point and the innner most point. Make sure you pick the first thing your tires/rims will hit. Now you can take measurements. You'll be able to get the overall width that you can fit plus the maximum backspacing you can run. You'll want to leave a 1/4" to 1/2" for measuring error and some clearance.

They make a tool you can buy for doing this but this works too. I found out I can stuff a 12" rim in the rear of my Ranger if I really wanted to. My plan is to put a 10" wide rim back there with 6.5" of backspacing. I just need the money to buy them LOL

James

kkester68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks for all the ideas and info. i am a new user to this site though ive had a few rangers. this is the third ranger ive had. first was a 85 second was a 96. ive always gone the 4wheel drive route. lookin to do something different here. i got to thinking about it and if i can get the rims to tuck in the front id like to do a 5/6 drop. think it would look and sit a little better on the wheels. thanks again

kelly

I don't think the OEM rims have changed over the years so: the stock rims run 4.5" of back spacing. That will get allow clearance for the inside. You can run more, and people have run 9" wide rims up front and tucked them. Clearing your fenders will be a different story.

I measured my truck my self for the rears that I want. You can do the same with your fronts. Mock up your rim/tire combo, cut a piece of wood to your overall size tire/rim combo and bolt it to your rotor. Now tape some string with a weight at the bottom (plumbob) to your outer most point and the innner most point. Make sure you pick the first thing your tires/rims will hit. Now you can take measurements. You'll be able to get the overall width that you can fit plus the maximum backspacing you can run. You'll want to leave a 1/4" to 1/2" for measuring error and some clearance.

They make a tool you can buy for doing this but this works too. I found out I can stuff a 12" rim in the rear of my Ranger if I really wanted to. My plan is to put a 10" wide rim back there with 6.5" of backspacing. I just need the money to buy them LOL

James

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
Well, your stock springs have probably sagged over the years so getting a true 2" may not be possible. You may want to wait and install the beams and see where that puts you. That is unbless you'll be getting progressive rate springs and then it really worth it.

I am not sure how the older Rangers are, but I have very little in my wheelwell for height. I have rubbed through my plastic covering in my wheelwells. I need to modify my wheelwells to clear anything bigger then I am running now. Plus I wouldn't mind finding a way to get another 1-2" all the way around on my truck if I can do that.

James

kkester68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i think that sounds like a good idea get my beams in and see where it sits. i can always cut more out of the springs later. the front driver side of the truck was hit so im doing a little mod to the inner fender well as i put it back together. so as i lower it im gona have to see how it fits. this is the first truck ive dropped, ive always done lifts. i drive a 06 f350 6.0 thats lifted. so this will be a learning experience for me.

i want to fill the tail lights, front and side marker lights then mold LED strips in. my problem is i cant seem to find like a 6inch LED stip to mold in..... any ideas of sites that sell things like that??

the truck will be painted a flat black with a dark red pin stripe with blacked outed windows and black torq thrust wheels. honest opinion on if you think it will look good illegal?

thanks again for all the advice any words of wisdom are gladly taken

kelly

Well, your stock springs have probably sagged over the years so getting a true 2" may not be possible. You may want to wait and install the beams and see where that puts you. That is unbless you'll be getting progressive rate springs and then it really worth it.

I am not sure how the older Rangers are, but I have very little in my wheelwell for height. I have rubbed through my plastic covering in my wheelwells. I need to modify my wheelwells to clear anything bigger then I am running now. Plus I wouldn't mind finding a way to get another 1-2" all the way around on my truck if I can do that.

James

Last edited:

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
I've seen the lighting in various mags but I can't think of one off the top of my head. Have you tried googling it?

The black primer would be cool. Just be sure to use quality paint when you do it. There are several ways to get the "primered" look. You'll want to read up on them as just plain primer can absorb moisture and cause more rust.

I've been tossing paint ideas around for my Ranger for years. I was dead set on the "rat rod black". It has a nice low gloss look to it. Now I think I want it painted the same color but with something extra. I am not sure what yet, but I don't have the money any way.

Those rims have a ploished lip IIRC. That should look cool. Don't be afraid to throw some shiny stuff at it though. Too much black tends to hide details IMO.

You'll love having a lowered ride for sure. The handling alone will make you wonder why you waited so long to try it.

James

PFC Laird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
352FE
Transmission
Automatic
I dont think you should have any problems running 17" tires on a 3/4 drop. I'm not sure how similar my 94 is to your truck but i put a 3/4 (beams/flip-kit) on mine and i test fitted some 22"x9" rim with a 50 series tire and i have no problems with clearance anywhere, i even still have full lock to lock steering

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals