• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

power steering pump

FCXBronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 and 2000
Make / Model
Ford, Dodge
Engine Size
2.8v6
Transmission
Manual
well first of all i have an 84 bronco 2, i was pullin into work and the guys at work told me to turn my truck off because they saw something leaking so i turned it off and popped the hood and power steering fluid had shot the the pressure hole in the top of the resivoir cap i checked and i had seen that the guy before me had overfilled it but ive had it for 2 months and it just now did that so i dont know what to think i drove it home and nothing happened and its not leaking power steering fluid anywhere else now but i took some fluid out and its running fine what do you think happened?

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
I am not sure exactly what happens but I have had it happen when cranking my steering with the engine off. It is nothing to be concerned about.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Sounds to me like your driving an older Ford.
Concider it "normal". It was most likely just an air bubble that purged, usually caused by a slow leak at the sector shaft seal on the steering box. Just check and top off(as needed) your PS fluid everytime you do an oil change.

And try to avoid turning the wheels with the engine off. The cap will actually blow off the reservior, and soak the entire drivers side of your engine bay with PS fluid.

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
duct tape works wonders for keeping the cap on,for when the truck is off and you turn the wheels...it will still piss out the bleed hole in the cap,but its not as bad as the whole cap blowing off.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i replaced the o-ring on my cap with a big fat one from napa. i have to use vice grips to remove and install the cap, but it no longer blows off if/when i turn the wheels with the engine off.

someday i would like to install a remote reservoir on this pump to eliminate the problem completely...

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
Not to hijack a thread but why do these pumps blow the cap off or spray fluid when the engine is off?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
because when you turn the wheels is squeezes all the fluid out of the steering box back into the pump res.

when the engine is running, the fluid is circulating through the system so it doesnt get displaced when the wheels turn.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals