• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

exploder alt.

mulishiaranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I was wondering if a 94' alt from a exploder would work in my 02 Ranger? Is there just a diff bracket or something i have to worry about?

bigcountry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
exploder??????? do you mean explorer? and unless it has more than 96amps why do you want one from an older vehcile it is already wore out. why not buy a new one? and i think these trucks have atleast 96 to 100 amps i could be wrong but my old 1997 f150 had either a 96 or 90 amp alternator. so my question is why do you want an older alternator?

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
exploder??????? do you mean explorer? and unless it has more than 96amps why do you want one from an older vehcile it is already wore out. why not buy a new one? and i think these trucks have atleast 96 to 100 amps i could be wrong but my old 1997 f150 had either a 96 or 90 amp alternator. so my question is why do you want an older alternator?
I thought rangers had a 90amp and Ex's had a 135amp?

bigcountry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
oh its 90amp hmmm not sure why i thought 96 hahaha dern ok but still why an older explorer with a bigger alternator thou? why does he need that much more power? unless he has some HUGE system or he is powering a crap load of lights,tvs,radios and god knows what else. i mean on my 19 year old yota it had a 60 amp alt. and i ran a 9500 pound winch without problems

mulishiaranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Well the alt. was almost new, the vehicle was wrote off. But yeah, i just want more amps. because when i'm running my headlights, and my stereo the intereo lights dim. Battery is new, so i was thinking my alt. was dying... and i have driving lights, and an amp, so i figured my truck would benefit from more power.

bigcountry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
that sounds like your alternator could be going out not an low amp problem

Loud Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
are all explorers 135a? i should pick one of those up, i cant afford a 200 or 300a right now.

I get some dimming too if i turn it up to full tilt for too long, i have a newer 1000ca batt but i am pulling a lot of juice. The sub amp has 3x40a fuses and the comp amp has 2x30a fuses. back when i drove crown vic's and marquis' i would get the police equipment alt which was 130a and helped with voltage drops.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
All Explorer's use the 135A alternator. All 4.0 Explorer alternators is a plug and play swap to a Ranger 4.0. However, some Rangers do come with the 135A alternators stock.

If you plan on doing this swap, check to make sure your Ranger 4.0 does not have the 135A unit stock.

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you plan on doing this swap, check to make sure your Ranger 4.0 does not have the 135A unit stock.
Anyone wanna enlighten me as to how I figure out which alternator my truck came with?

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
not all explorors come with a 135 amper your year ranger is a 95 amper the 2000+ 4.0 ohc explors come with a 135 amper one

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
not all explorors come with a 135 amper your year ranger is a 95 amper the 2000+ 4.0 ohc explors come with a 135 amper one
I really hate to burst your bubble, but ALL Explorer 4.0's came factory with the 135A alternator.

Also, ALL Ranger 4.0's had an option of having the 135A alternator.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
All Explorer's use the 135A alternator. All 4.0 Explorer alternators is a plug and play swap to a Ranger 4.0. However, some Rangers do come with the 135A alternators stock.

this is not entirely true. most 91 - 94 Explorers came with 135 amp, it was part of the XLT, Lariat, EB ect ect ect trim packages. but some base and XLS models had 95 amp alternators. All 95+ came with 135 amp packages.

want you want is a 130 - 200 amp 3G alternator

http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=75

the above link explains where to find it and how to modify it to 200 amps.

going to be doing this to my Bronco, its planned with the 351 install and I will do a right up for it, I will even find which ones will fit what year rangers.

Loud Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
how can you tell if its 95 or 135? will it be stamped on the case somewhere? my ranger seems to have most of the options for the year except fog lights. its got some goodies that i dont see on alot of rangers (keyless entry/factory alarm, premium sound stereo)

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If your stereo is making the lights dim, it's time for a capacitor.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals