• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 Ranger 2.3 5 speed about to drive me nuts. Needs some HELP!!

Terryt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
97 2.3 have no code and low idle miss and stall when you let off the throttle and get back on the throttle in between shifts.
Here's what I've done.
New air filter
New motor craft platinum plugs
wires.
Swapped coil packs from a donor truck
New intake,iac,throttle body and egr gaskets
Swapped IAC from donor
Swapped maf from donor
Nee PVC
New fuel filler hose
Checked everything for vacuum leak
Purchased torque pro and adapter but I dont know if I'm missing some with the info its giving me. Anyone see what I'm missing?

Attachments

Terryt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Forgot new fuel filter

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Is the EGR valve functional/not stuck open or shut?

Throttle position sensor adjusted for correct voltage?

Fuel pressure within specs?

Terryt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Fuel pressure was 30 key on and 30 running and 40 if I unhook the vacuum from the pressure regulator
Tps I have not fooled with
Egr I popped the top of the pressure regulator put my finger over the vacuum and it kinda stalks out.

JamesH

Reaction score
It sounds like timing to me. Throw a gun on it and see if it's retarded. Low idle an poping back sounds like a few degrees back.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Terryt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
According to torque pro it's at about 8 t0 10 degrees at idle but going down the highway it runs 28 to 31. What should it be at idle.

Terryt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The timing at idle is 18 degrees at idle according to Torque Pro I was wrong up above I was thinking it was 8 to 10 but it is 18

JamesH

Reaction score
So, base timing should be about 10 btdc. But don't quote me on that,I'm not 100% sure for that engine. I wouldn't trust torque alot with those number my self (I have and use the same app). I would look up the process and check for your self.but also check the timing belt, that may be where the anomaly is coming from. Double check to be sure, the belt can always stretch past what the computer can compensate for.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Terryt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok the guy I got it from said it had a new timing belt put on it before I bout the truck but I dont know who put it on.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
That would indicate to me that the cam is off a tooth. I did this once, drove it around for quite a while like that. Fixing it made a huge difference.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
You have more faith in swapped parts than I do.

Check the things you swapped for and the swapped out ones. Could be they are not good, and you will chase your tail until you find that out.
If you swapped from running vehicles that exhibited no problems, that's a different story.

Hesitation and stumble between shifts sort of points to the 'base idle' as you tend towards that if/when you release the throttle between shifts. Maybe clean the installed IAC, or both.
tom

Terryt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Parts came from a ranger my boy wrecked that had no know issues. But thanks I'll keep looking. I still have not found a definate btdc spec on it.

Terryt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Checked timing with a light is at 10°

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
You have more faith in swapped parts than I do.

Check the things you swapped for and the swapped out ones. Could be they are not good, and you will chase your tail until you find that out.
If you swapped from running vehicles that exhibited no problems, that's a different story.

Hesitation and stumble between shifts sort of points to the 'base idle' as you tend towards that if/when you release the throttle between shifts. Maybe clean the installed IAC, or both.
tom
+1 the idle air valves on all the 2.3 trucks I have were problematic when even a little dirty, seemed accentuated between shifts for some reason. I had a 94 on which the IAC got to the point where it would practically redline the truck between shifts and would not come back down. Cleaning it and doing nothing else solved this issue. Others I have had could bog between shifts like you're describing, cleaning the IAC usually solved that as well. It's not hard to clean, q tips and your solvent of choice + patience is all it takes. The cleaner the better. Even if it doesn't solve your problem its easy and cheap and a good thing to do

Probably worth making sure the timing marks are all lined up and that the timing belt tensioner is OK, if someone was in there recently. Sounds like your timing is ok but not a bad thing to check since someone was in there and may not have replaced the tensioner or installed a new one quite right. My current 96 2.3 had skipped a tooth on the cam before I did the timing belt. Ran surprisingly ok that way but the difference with it timed correctly was noticeably smoother

Even with the new timing belt tensioner fully released against the timing belt, at least on my truck, the belt tension is not as tight as I would have expected. I think they need every bit you can get out of that tensioner in order to not want to skip

Last edited:

Terryt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just going by the timing cover I put crank on tdc and checking through the inspection holes this is what I come up with.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals