• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1998 Ranger 4x4 Ground Up Restoration

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
I really love this freaking truck.
:icon_hornsup:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Same. Wish I had the patience, skill, and resources to do the same with my '99. Maybe in a few more years.

ThatBostonGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for all the kind words guys!

ThatBostonGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I decided to reuse my factory chrome rear bumper and just change the color to match the theme of the truck. I scuffed the F**k out of it with grey scuff pads and shot it with SEM self etching primer. The grille, front and rear bumpers were then sprayed with U-Pol Raptor bed liner. I had in process photos of that but I had a phone crash and lost a few photos. :dunno:

ThatBostonGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Its been almost 2 years since I started this project and its finally starting to come to an end.

DannyG

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Its been almost 2 years since I started this project and its finally starting to come to an end.
That is the best and worst feeling ever! Best because you can start to enjoy it again, sad because the adventure is coming to an end.

Looks factory fresh!

97Ranger3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
33x12.5
I've been watching this thread since I joined the forums recently, and I have to say this truck is coming along so nicely! Your attention to details is insane and the quality of your work is impressive! Sometimes I wish I had the time and skills to redo my 97 to this level, but you did at least inspire me to paint my valve covers similar to yours :icon_rofl:

Also, I love the idea with the black interior, and you pulled it off very well! I'm assuming you painted the gray plastic, so I'm wondering what you used to paint the interior? If not, did you find black interior somewhere? I think the black interior would go very nicely with my color scheme as well and I love how yours came out!

Another side note - I'm from MA as well and it's cool to see another really clean Ranger get some love! I'm trying to keep mine clean and together for as long as possible but mine's nowhere near this level!

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Looks great. Love the seats. Were you adding a center console?

ThatBostonGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've been watching this thread since I joined the forums recently, and I have to say this truck is coming along so nicely! Your attention to details is insane and the quality of your work is impressive! Sometimes I wish I had the time and skills to redo my 97 to this level, but you did at least inspire me to paint my valve covers similar to yours :icon_rofl:

Also, I love the idea with the black interior, and you pulled it off very well! I'm assuming you painted the gray plastic, so I'm wondering what you used to paint the interior? If not, did you find black interior somewhere? I think the black interior would go very nicely with my color scheme as well and I love how yours came out!

Another side note - I'm from MA as well and it's cool to see another really clean Ranger get some love! I'm trying to keep mine clean and together for as long as possible but mine's nowhere near this level!
Sorry it's taken so long for me to reply. I've been busy putting the final touches on the truck with still a few more to go. I did paint the interior plastics and i used SEM Color Coat in Landau Black. Its excellent stuff. The vinyl pieces like the dash board just need to be cleaned and scuffed and sprayed directly. No priming necessary. The plastics really need to be primed with flexible primer surfacer first. They say its not necessary with the color coat but I found the finish to be too fragile especially with the high traffic panels.

Thank you for the kind words! It's nice to know that I am not the only on in Mass that loves Rangers! :icon_hornsup:

ThatBostonGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Looks great. Love the seats. Were you adding a center console?
Thank you! At this time I don't plan on adding a console. I thought I was going to miss the arm rest from the split bench seats but I don't notice it being gone. I like having the subwoofer not hidden behind anything and really being able to feel the air movement.

ThatBostonGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had to cancel on at least 3 pre-registered shows trying to get this thing finished up. It wanted to fight me every step of the way the last 2 months. I ended up having to pull my transmission for a 3rd time and have it rebuilt a second time. :mad::mad::mad: It's the only part on the truck I didn't do myself and it bit me in the ass hard. Fortunately it is now fixed correctly and like butter. I had to go through like 3 gallons of brake fluid before I was able to get all the air out of the system. Of course as soon as I took it on the road for the first time the check engine light popped on with code P1309. After setting and resetting the camshaft syncro multiple times and 2 weeks of head pounding frustration I figured out that the OEM harmonic balancer that I put on had the timing marks etched in the wrong position so it was off by 3 degrees. WTF Ford!

Anyways I was able to get into it's first car show along with my 1991 LX Mustang a few weeks back and holy sh*t I took home second place in the daily driver class. I couldn't believe it. :icon_surprised:

planeflyer21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Awesome man! Congrats on the trophy!

AllanJYork

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 ohv
Transmission
Manual
Wow nice build.man I love it. How many hp do you think your rebuilt 3.0 has? Could you feel a difference in power?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
That trophy is well deserved. Good job brother.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals