• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer 5.0L valve springs and rockers?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
98 Explorer 5.0L getting it ready to continue Ranger swap or drop it into something else. Next step is getting the engine running and maybe doing a little hop-up while at it. High mile engine and I'm not going to go further into it than the valve covers which I'm swapping for cast aluminum Mustang covers.

While the valve covers are off I am going to upgrade valve springs and maybe swap in 1.7 roller rockers.

Undecided on the roller rockers, but definitely leaning in that direction. Everything I've read says that the rockers will put the lift of the Explorer camshaft somewhere between the H.O. and Cobra cams, also effectively increase duration because it lifts faster. Also has the benefit of decreasing friction in the valve train, allow for faster revving, and move the power band up a little bit. Since I'm keeping the 3.73 gears with a smaller tire, this seems like a good thing for my "street truck" build.

Real question is on the valve springs. Stock valve spring are a big limiting factor of the Explorer heads and they encounter valve float at fairly low RPM. Well I'm definitely goin to lay into the throttle on occasion after this thing gets to running and I don't want valve float to be a limiting factor. So I am definitely changing springs even if I keep the stock rockers.

I've heard good things about Alex's Parts as a budget bolt-on valve spring upgrade for factory Ford heads. Thinking about one of these two kits, but I'm not sure which would be better.

Valve Spring Kit GT40P w/ stock cam and 1.6 or 1.7 ratio rockers up to .515" Lift Max Output 1TS Turbo Supercharged Nitrous

or

SB Ford, GT40p Drop In Valve Springs Kit, Hyd Roller .550" Lift, VSK7h49-13

Explorer cam with stock rockers has valve lift of .4464 Exhaust and .4208 Intake. With 1.7 rockers it has a valve lift of .4743 Exhaust and .4471 Intake.

It sounds like both spring sets should be good with either cam/rocker combo, but I don't know much about things like seat pressure, open and closed pressure. Which would be better?

It's high miles engine, but it was running great last time it was ran so I'm running it. I am only planning to run it 3-5 years before I swap it for a new built engine. It won't have many miles (maybe 5K per year max) and not much abuse before it gets replaced. I don't really want to spend $300+ on roller rockers for a short life engine, and I'll be going back to 1.6 with new engine. As such I'm considering going with a set of those ProForm 1.7 roller rockers from eBay. Figure worst case scenario, I'll be building that new engine a little sooner. Any one run those rockers? Results? Thoughts?

Sorry for the long winded post...

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
98 Explorer 5.0L getting it ready to continue Ranger swap or drop it into something else. Next step is getting the engine running and maybe doing a little hop-up while at it. High mile engine and I'm not going to go further into it than the valve covers which I'm swapping for cast aluminum Mustang covers.

While the valve covers are off I am going to upgrade valve springs and maybe swap in 1.7 roller rockers.

Undecided on the roller rockers, but definitely leaning in that direction. Everything I've read says that the rockers will put the lift of the Explorer camshaft somewhere between the H.O. and Cobra cams, also effectively increase duration because it lifts faster. Also has the benefit of decreasing friction in the valve train, allow for faster revving, and move the power band up a little bit. Since I'm keeping the 3.73 gears with a smaller tire, this seems like a good thing for my "street truck" build.

Real question is on the valve springs. Stock valve spring are a big limiting factor of the Explorer heads and they encounter valve float at fairly low RPM. Well I'm definitely goin to lay into the throttle on occasion after this thing gets to running and I don't want valve float to be a limiting factor. So I am definitely changing springs even if I keep the stock rockers.

I've heard good things about Alex's Parts as a budget bolt-on valve spring upgrade for factory Ford heads. Thinking about one of these two kits, but I'm not sure which would be better.

Valve Spring Kit GT40P w/ stock cam and 1.6 or 1.7 ratio rockers up to .515" Lift Max Output 1TS Turbo Supercharged Nitrous

or

SB Ford, GT40p Drop In Valve Springs Kit, Hyd Roller .550" Lift, VSK7h49-13

Explorer cam with stock rockers has valve lift of .4464 Exhaust and .4208 Intake. With 1.7 rockers it has a valve lift of .4743 Exhaust and .4471 Intake.

It sounds like both spring sets should be good with either cam/rocker combo, but I don't know much about things like seat pressure, open and closed pressure. Which would be better?

It's high miles engine, but it was running great last time it was ran so I'm running it. I am only planning to run it 3-5 years before I swap it for a new built engine. It won't have many miles (maybe 5K per year max) and not much abuse before it gets replaced. I don't really want to spend $300+ on roller rockers for a short life engine, and I'll be going back to 1.6 with new engine. As such I'm considering going with a set of those ProForm 1.7 roller rockers from eBay. Figure worst case scenario, I'll be building that new engine a little sooner. Any one run those rockers? Results? Thoughts?

Sorry for the long winded post...

I’m in the same boat as you now wanting to know . I’ve seen them play with the rockers and get a lil more out the expo cam . I️ve seen them go 1.6 and 1.7 in a mixed combo a few times swapping sizes either way With good gains or stayin 1.6’s or going to all 1.7’s .X2 on more info

Sent from my iphone while gettin sidewayz!!!

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well I posted this on Explorer Forum about a week before I posted it here. I know, but they are the Explorer forum and it is an Explorer engine. Well I got more response here that I did there, and that ain't saying much. No offense ATX...

I sent a message to Alex's Parts yesterday (11/23, Thanksgiving day) asking about springs. Of course I knew that I wouldn't get a reply same day, was expecting to hear something Monday, but had a reply on Friday. Based on Explorer cam and not know which rocker I would use he recommended the .515" lift cam.

Summit Racing had the ProForm 1.7 rockers on sale for Black Friday today. At $158, close to half of the other options, I decided to give them a chance. I've read a lot of the negative remarks online, but given my use I hope they'll do fine. Lot more people out there with good ProForm rockers than with broken ProForm rockers. Also not a lot of info given on how those broken ones were used and abused.

After making the decision on 1.7 rockers today I was back browsing Alex's Parts site and noticed that they have a drop in spring set recommended for cams with .440" - .540" lifts. Explorer cam with the 1.7 rockers gives over .440" lift on the intake side (higher on exhaust) so thought these might be better option. It also sounded like these springs would allow room for a cam swap down the road if deemed necessary.

Knowing that I'd be using the 1.7 rockers and with the new springs in mind I sent Alex's Parts another message. It was kinda late in the afternoon so once again was not expecting an answer until Monday. Three hours later I had a reply saying I'd be good to go. Don't know if he's right or feeding me a line, but I'm liking the customer service this guy has. Between the CS and prices, he's getting my business and I'll likely be a repeat customer.

Got the following on the way:
~93 Mustang Aluminum valve covers (look better than Explorer)
ProForm 1.7 Roller Rockers
Rocker Shims
Pushrods (stock length)
Valve Springs w/Shims and Seals (VSK7G49-M from Alex's Parts)

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
Non takin brotha .

Sent from my iphone while gettin sidewayz!!!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Any update? How'd this turn out?

About to push buttons to get OBX headers, now looking at valve related updates...

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Any update? How'd this turn out?

About to push buttons to get OBX headers, now looking at valve related updates...
I have had good luck and results with ported GT40P's with 1.6 stamped steel OEM rockers, 512 lift and the Trickflow spring kit everybody recommended. I am over 200,000 miles on that set up.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
If you do 1.7 rockers, you'll need to take a close look at valve covers.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
smash the baffles and run the thick gasket.

always check functioning tip range:icon_thumby:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Sounds interesting :).

Jbrown, you saying you're running the stock cam with rockers and getting .512 lift, or a different cam? If different, which one?

I'm all for something simple like thick gaskets and smashing baffles... This engine has 230k on it, if I can get away with running some cheap and easy external mods and getting a little more oomph out of it before I tear it down eventually that would be great. I know the stock valve springs are part of the limit of this thing so while in there do that and change stem seals... The thing has some grunt down low but completely gives up by 5k which is annoying... Looking forward to seeing what headers and some more flow will do, right now goes crooked shifting into second at 45mph on wet pavement with the shift kit...

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Sounds interesting :).

Jbrown, you saying you're running the stock cam with rockers and getting .512 lift, or a different cam? If different, which one?

I'm all for something simple like thick gaskets and smashing baffles... This engine has 230k on it, if I can get away with running some cheap and easy external mods and getting a little more oomph out of it before I tear it down eventually that would be great. I know the stock valve springs are part of the limit of this thing so while in there do that and change stem seals... The thing has some grunt down low but completely gives up by 5k which is annoying... Looking forward to seeing what headers and some more flow will do, right now goes crooked shifting into second at 45mph on wet pavement with the shift kit...
.030 over bore, 306 ci.
Comp Cams xe-264-hr.
Ported Gt40P's with Tricflow Springs and 1.6 OEM Rockers
Ported upper and Lower GT40 intake
Torque Monster headers
24 lbs injectors
Custom tune
Pulls hard way over 5000 RPM

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals