• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 tach

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
v bands suck to dial in...but when done are worth it.

i would have to look at the tach situation. do you have a sunpro? does yours have the service port by the pdb? try plugging in there.

Curtis408

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a stand alone aftermarket tach there, and the service port next to the fuse box under hood. After I get exhaust tomorrow and figure out the rocker issue I am going to hook it up and see if it has signal.
Yoke slapping the cab gets little annoying, dog didn't like it either, after awhile ehh.
Bright side oil pressue anything off of idle it stays at 50 hot. even in 4th cruising at 45, definitely much improved TQ curve over the 4.2...I wish I would have gone 3.7 in the beginning, 302 it is for now, the air intake tube I got from parts galore explorer had 399,938 miles on it so it may stay too :D

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
350k on a well maintained 5.0 should be expected.

Curtis408

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hooked tach to service port and pulled wire out of bulk plug tach would jump and fall occasionally. I can't remember the last time I used this tach though so I am going to check it with DVOM on ac being I don't have any other vehicles anymore I can check the tach against.
Rocker noise #2-I needed a shim, so that's quiet now, one cylinder passenger side flange leaks... I hate exhaust leaks.
See what I can get accomplished tomorrow.

Curtis

Curtis408

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Trans mount, after rounding ears on companion flange on driveshaft no more rubbing on cab.
Tach, service port verified continuity from EEC to there, aftermarket tach would if touch wire to pin jump and fall right off. DVOM same see a volt then go OL, even went as far as using pig tails from other clusters hooked OEM cluster up for tach same. So I'm going to look for another EEC.
AC explorer uses bolt together connections, mine uses spring clamps, will the condenser from a 98+ swap in? I was going to try to if I could find the crimp fitting but that has proven to be a no go for a high side.

Curtis

Curtis408

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Grabbed another EEC, had tach, but found out why explorer went to the junkyard... Trans didn't fail gave a bunch of trans codes, wouldn't shift out of 1st or reverse.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals