• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 Ranger key very worn - replacement?

neutronranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
is there a way to tell?

Since I bought the Ranger used, I don't know if the 2 keys I have are clones of each other.
Is there a way to tell if the 2 keys I own have different codes inside?

If the 2 keys turned out to be clones and I tried to program the truck to accept a 3rd, what would happen?
Would the truck lock me out and I'd be stranded?
Or would it simply not accept the 3rd key.

Eric

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It wouldn't let you add the new key, nothing more would happen, Theft light would flash rapidly, as it does if wrong key or failed PATS key is used.
You may have to wait 1 to 5 minutes with key off before it will reset, but I don't think so

A clone key is the same key as far as PATS is concerned, so if you had 1 original key and 3 clones of that key, PATS would just see one key being used all the time, no matter which of the 4 keys you used.
And nothing wrong with having a Cloned key(or two), works just fine to start engine, and less expensive.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Since I bought the Ranger used, I don't know if the 2 keys I have are clones of each other.
Is there a way to tell if the 2 keys I own have different codes inside?
A scanner that does live data can show you the ID numbers on the keys when they are in the ignition.

As I said, if both keys are Ford keys, or if one is a Stratec then it is highly unlikely one is a clone. If the head of the key is a cheap plastic then you may have a cone.

And nothing wrong with having a Cloned key(or two)
Until you need to program you own key that is.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
But why would you need to program/add another key if you had clone keys?

If you only have 2 PATS keys now and lose 1 then you are in the same boat
Or if you only have 1 PATS key now
You would need to pay for new PATS keys and to have them cut and then pay to have them added to the system, and you need at least 3 to avoid the issue in the future, i.e. losing 1 and having 2 left to add the a new 3rd yourself, but you still have to pay for the new 3rd key.

Paying less for cloned key as a spare only has the cost of the key as the downside.

If PATS system should fail and drop that one key number from memory would be the only downside but that's one very long shot to happen, lol, losing all key codes would be more likely in that failure mode and so no worse off than with 3 working PATS numbers.

If you have 2 working PATS key numbers then yes, add the 3rd yourself, cost of the key and having it cut

If you don't then I don't see a big downside to a Cloned PATS key as a spare

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
But why would you need to program/add another key if you had clone keys?

If you only have 2 PATS keys now and lose 1 then you are in the same boat
Or if you only have 1 PATS key now
You would need to pay for new PATS keys and to have them cut and then pay to have them added to the system, and you need at least 3 to avoid the issue in the future, i.e. losing 1 and having 2 left to add the a new 3rd yourself, but you still have to pay for the new 3rd key.

Paying less for cloned key as a spare only has the cost of the key as the downside.

If PATS system should fail and drop that one key number from memory would be the only downside but that's one very long shot to happen, lol, losing all key codes would be more likely in that failure mode and so no worse off than with 3 working PATS numbers.

If you have 2 working PATS key numbers then yes, add the 3rd yourself, cost of the key and having it cut

If you don't then I don't see a big downside to a Cloned PATS key as a spare
While you make a convincing argument I won't own a PATS vehicle and have less than 3 keys, except for the early ones (96/97) where you only need one working key to add them yourself, and really not even that if you have all day to do it.

But the existence of ForScan makes all this moot anyway.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
When I retired in May 17 Ford could get 8 years of key codes if you had the right documentation.You had to be there with a picture ID and a title or registration showing you were the owner.We were forbidden from getting codes for repo guys,banks,credit unions,or anyone but the owner.You had to confirm that you had the documents in your possession when requesting the code in the website.If Ford called for back up docs and you couldn't produce them your code access was cut off permanently.For the record I hate pats keys,the bad guys already have a defeat device if they want to steal it so PATS is just a waste of money and a nuisance.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
When I retired in May 17 Ford could get 8 years of key codes if you had the right documentation.You had to be there with a picture ID and a title or registration showing you were the owner.We were forbidden from getting codes for repo guys,banks,credit unions,or anyone but the owner.You had to confirm that you had the documents in your possession when requesting the code in the website.If Ford called for back up docs and you couldn't produce them your code access was cut off permanently.For the record I hate pats keys,the bad guys already have a defeat device if they want to steal it so PATS is just a waste of money and a nuisance.
The type of people who are tech savy enough to beat trandponder systems aren't the kind of people who want to steal a ford ranger. :icon_rofl:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
With regards to PATS keys, what can you do with ForScan software and a compatible interface adapter?
1. get the list of programmed key numbers the truck will respond to?
2. clear the list of programmed keys numbers?
3. add new key numbers when the key number list is empty?

Thanks.
Basically.

The vehicle doesn't show you a list of the key ID numbers that are programmed though. What you can see, if you look in the right place, is the ID number of the key you are using, and if PATS is allowing the engine to start or not.

There are two PIDs in the security list, one is PATS_ID which show's the key's 16 bit ID number. The other is PATS_ENABLE which is a simple yes/no/- read out, which says that yes, PATS is allowing the engine to start, no PATS is not allowing the engine to start, or a null value represented by a dash that usually only shows up when the key is off.

I can't remember specifically, but I believe there is another one that tells you if the key in the ignition is programmed or not.

RangerNick04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I did mine at my local hardware store, bought the truck used and only came with one that had a badge so I assume it was with the truck when bought new. Had a copy made, looks generic and costed me $80. Other places quoted 100+

Otis413

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Depends on how much work you want to put into it, there's two ways you can get your key "cut" code number, then any automotive locksmith can cut you a new key "to spec".

1. The hard way; Pull your key cylinder out and disassemble, (Warning: The ball and spring holding the "plug" in can be a bitch to put back in.)
Pull the wafers (years 96 to 12, 8 cut) out and record the numbers on the wafers. BUT, this will only give you 7 of 8 cuts/codes, the ignition cylinder uses cuts 2 to 8, and the doors use cuts 1 to 6. (see pics)

2. The easy way is to just measure your key using a dial caliper , allowing a bit for wear, this will give you the "cut codes". This system has some built in slop to allow for wear, the newer keys I've measured were a little over the specified measurements, I guess to allow for future wear.

Using the chart below, my '02 key measured "3X545335", (numbered head to tip) but even with that you still need to program the chip into the PATS system (if equipped.)

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Otis, what did you say your night job is?

Otis413

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Otis, what did you say your night job is?
LOL! I'm a machinist by trade, (Cass Scenic Railroad /DGVR) so locksmithing is just going a little smaller... :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals