• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What are my options? Mechanic telling me I'll be needing some new $$$ cats.

juntjoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Do unto others...
Get the codes and these dudes will help you more than that guy who claims to be a mechanic. If he is a buddy of yours, he not doing you much help.

I have a good friend who is a mechanic, he will help me with any help I need, but refuses to do any actual work on my vehicles. He says it's so we will stay friends. We do stuff at my house but never at his shop, only takes money for parts so we feed him a lot too
He does mostly performance mods as that's his business's specialty. He's not a buddy or anything but I've talked a bit with him and trust him more than most strangers I run into. But maybe I should get out/around more

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Get the codes and these dudes will help you more than that guy who claims to be a mechanic. If he is a buddy of yours, he not doing you much help.

I have a good friend who is a mechanic, he will help me with any help I need, but refuses to do any actual work on my vehicles. He says it's so we will stay friends. We do stuff at my house but never at his shop, only takes money for parts so we feed him a lot too
:iamwithstupid:

We cant help based on info from a mechanic not giving you absolutely crucial vital details and just wanting to hack up your cats for 500 bucks... Run away from this mechanic, and start with fresh info. A basic code reading done at autozone for free will be 1000% better than the info your mechanic has given you. Or at least what you have relayed to us.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Im totally guessing here, based on lack of details, but if the initial problem was causing you to run extremely rich or have a massive misfire, it could have caused one or more of the cats to melt down. Too much fuel going into the cats will cause extremely high temps that will actually melt the honeycomb inside. If you had a blinking check engine light, and continued to drive it that way, there's a reasonable chance that this is whats happened.

juntjoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Do unto others...
Im totally guessing here, based on lack of details, but if the initial problem was causing you to run extremely rich or have a massive misfire, it could have caused one or more of the cats to melt down. Too much fuel going into the cats will cause extremely high temps that will actually melt the honeycomb inside. If you had a blinking check engine light, and continued to drive it that way, there's a reasonable chance that this is whats happened.
Hmm, thanks

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Last edited:

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If he's having trouble finding a cat for you, tell him to check the local humane society. They will probably have an abundance of cats available.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
If he's having trouble finding a cat for you, tell him to check the local humane society. They will probably have an abundance of cats available.
:pray:

juntjoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Do unto others...
Was this issue ever resolved? https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177238

Your previous posts have a trend to them... No info, not listening to good advice and crap repairs. Good luck. I'm done here.
Well I can't help so much the "crap repairs" without rivers of cash so I have do what I can within my means.

But thanks for reminding me of that thread/incident which I at least partially fixed replacing my radiator. Meaning I'm not sure if that cel had something to do with it. But the new radiator fixed the overheating problem.

Fast forward to more recently now I'm getting the cel again but this time I didn't confirm if it was the same. I thi k I assumed it was a whole new problem after seemingly fixing the overheating problem. So I don't know for sure if they're related.

I don't know enough to know if things are necessarily related or if quick fixes will work or not but I don't mind learning and often it costs me $$ but that's life when you don't got buckets of cash. Sorry for stressing anyone out but that's in you. I appreciate any help though you can provide.

I'll def get that code monday

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sometimes a cheap repair ends up causing a more expensive problem later on.
Don't spend anymore money on 'fixes' for your truck until you're reasonably sure that it will fix the root issue. What you think is saving you money now might be costing you more in the long run.

If your mechanic can't tell you the codes, then they're no mechanic. If they think damaged cats are the only issue, they don't have a good understanding of any vehicle in the last 25 years. Get the codes, post them here, and don't pay for anything else until you have a more clear understanding of the root problem.

07nhbpsi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sometimes a cheap repair ends up causing a more expensive problem later on.
Don't spend anymore money on 'fixes' for your truck until you're reasonably sure that it will fix the root issue. What you think is saving you money now might be costing you more in the long run.

If your mechanic can't tell you the codes, then they're no mechanic. If they think damaged cats are the only issue, they don't have a good understanding of any vehicle in the last 25 years. Get the codes, post them here, and don't pay for anything else until you have a more clear understanding of the root problem.
Hell, for that matter being able to pull the codes doesn’t make them a mechanic either........My best advice is take it to take it to a Real shop and pay them for an hr of diagnostic time, they will be more than happy to print up a proposed estimate , then u can take it from there........:icon_thumby: Personally, in the past I’ve encountered a problem or two that I had exhausted and frustrated myself with and did Exactly as I just told u.........:icon_hornsup: If u want to save $$$$ then do this, but Do not go and seek so called advice from these auto parts store wanna bees...... :icon_confused:

07nhbpsi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
FYI, as others have mentioned previously in this thread.....The catalytic converters have failed due to an underlining issue........Period! 1st and for most u need to diagnose the reason for why they failed and make repair then move onto the catalytic converter replacement....

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

juntjoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Do unto others...
P0171 & P0174

Both banks lean if I remember right. Before was just one side. I'll pay the $130 admission to the dealership pros to get "another opinion" just to be safe. Hopefully they don't tell me the same, that until they replace/(eliminate) cats they won't know for sure the primary cause of cel.

I would have spent some time doing any easy checks if there are any but I've got a plumbing leak in my house and my motorcycle, my only transportation currently, has a carb air leak.

juntjoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Do unto others...
So I'm reading around the internet about this common cracked rubber elbow in the intake somewhere. I'll talk to my mechanic to get exactly what he gathered. I just remember he had a thermometer he was checking the exhaust with and determined the issue with the cats but said something about not finding any leaks anywhere else. Maybe he missed the elbow? After I fix my motorcycle boot I can go rescue my truck and order this part from them at the same time? Dealership can't get to it til Monday so I have time to get it. I guess for this fantasy to work the the issue with the cats can't be as bad as the air leak issue.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals