• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Strange fuel pressure behavior

sevynos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi,

I have a ford ranger '90 2.9L EFI.

I'm suspecting a fuel pressure regulator (FPR) problem so I made a pressure test. The result is bugging me!

With the key to ON, on the first fuel pump activation I have a reading of 0 (Zero) PSI. To get the needed 40 PSI I had to activate the pump 5 times. And that's not all! If I don't touch anything, the pressure start going down until it reach zero.

Then I started the engine and got a constant reading of about 78 PSI.

With these results, should I consider that my FPR is faulty or a vacuum problem?

Area 52

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It would be safe to say that the regulator is shot. You are getting full pump pressure. As for the pressure dropping after shutting engine off, the injectors are leaking. Pressure should hold for at least an hour before you start to see any pressure drop off. Time to get some rebuilt injectors. Don't drive it until after you get the regulator changed out...will cause engine damage. After the regulator swap, change oil/filter. The oil will be diluted from the excess gas.

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
sevynos mine acted very similar when my FPR was shot. It would jump up to almost 80 then slowly drop down. I ran fuel injector cleaner in it several times and replaced the FPR and now the pressure reads good and doesn't drop off anymore.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
sounds more like a pump issue to me. or rather a cobination of it...as in the pump check valve failed..but an open injector would do that...the 70 psi though dont jive that..that or the return line is plugged and caused the c/v failure in the pump or something.

without pulling the return line to check for volume i cant really say. i would do that before buying parts.

be very careful when working with the fuel lines, dont want to burn yourself down.

Last edited:

sevynos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks to all for your replies.

According to your oppinions, some on another forum and people i've talked to, i will replace the FPR since I found an affordable one at CarQuest. Anyway, it won't hurt to get a new one!

bobbywalter: I'm no expert but if it is a pump issue, I think I shouldn't get a 78PSI pressure instantly after startup. Am I wrong?

Again, thanks to all!

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Yes but it sounds like the pump is leaking down, and not holding the fuel pressure which is why you would have to cycle the key 5 times like you say you do. All the fuel has drained back out the lines and into the tank.

sevynos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks all again!

I've got my new FPR. I will install it on next Monday or Tuesday depending on weather conditions. I will post a follow up of the results.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I had a similar problem with an 89 2.9L Ranger and recently with my 02. Replacing the fuel pump solved the problem. The check valve was not working properly and I would have to cycle the ignition key 4 to 5 times to get the engine to start. The pressure would not build to full pressure when turning on the ignition switch because not enough volume would pump before the pump automatically shut off.

The check valve is not the only thing that causes this problem but if the new FPR does not solve the problem you should take a hard look at the fuel pump. I find the quickest way to check that is; disconnect the fuel filter and connect a pressure gauge to the line coming from the tank. Cycle the ignition switch and if the pressure drops off when you shut of the ignition switch, the check valve is not functioning properly.

warrior24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Where do you connect the fuel pressure gauge to?

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Where do you connect the fuel pressure gauge to?
I connect it to the end of the fuel line. It might take some ingenuity to come up with a good connection with some fuel pressure gauges. I have one that has a tapered fitting that fits inside the line and requires holding them together. That requires a helper to cycle the ignition switch.

sevynos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Finally I installed my new FPR yesterday.

Truck runs well and startup are much more easier!

Now my pressure reads 37-38 on key ON position. There's seem to have a small leak, in about 5 minutes engine off, I lost 10 PSI. When the engine is running, the pressure climbs to 40 and stay there. It's the opposite of specifications. Anybody have an idea?

And there's now another little issue about the gas! When I hit accelerator, the pressure and engine RPM drops a little to go back up after 1-2 seconds. I've seen this before but I don't remember what it was. Anybody knows?

Cyberbeer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check the little black canister under the drivers door. Should be 4 lines connected to it. Make sure that isnt leaking. Its a left over from the days Ford used canister fuel filters, instead of in line, there is no longer a filter in it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals